Adenocarcinomas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenocarcinomas Adenocarcinomas

Unread 09-26-2002, 11:56 AM
Adenocarcinomas

I have been reading some of your posts and I see that I am not the only one with Adeno carcinomas. The doc's here said it is rare. I guess that would be in WYOMING!! Not so around here huh. It's nice to know that I am not the only one.

I have been a wreck thinking so.

thanks all for being here.

Betsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Adenocarcinomas

Betsy
How wierd! My gyn and the onc/gyn said an adenocarcinoma is the most common gyny cancer. I had an endometrial adenocarcinoma, stage 1. My gyn said that typically adenocarcinomas are less invasive and agressive than other forms.
Unread 09-26-2002, 02:32 PM
adenocarcinoma

I guess it depends on organ site. Until very recently, cervical adenocarcinoma was extremely rare. The incidence is increasing very rapidly now, and I doubt it will be considered rare in about five to ten years. Squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix is still much more common than adenocarcinoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2002, 03:46 PM
Adenocarcinomas

It's just nice to know I am not alone. Although this isn't the way to do it is it.?? lol. Betsy
Unread 09-29-2002, 07:48 AM
Adenocarcinomas

Hi all,

I also was told by a gyne that I had 'adenocarcinoma' in my uterus. However, my Onco/Gyn surgeon told me that 'adenocarcinoma' refers to the way the cells look under the microscope, what I actually have is endometrial cancer. BUT...he also told me this is the most common and easiest to treat - meaning I am going for a TAH BSO next Friday...yay cant wait! lol

Good luck Betsy!

Sheri_lp
Unread 10-04-2002, 05:04 PM
???

Hi,

Wierd.....all these different definitions of adenocarcinomas!!
I was told by gyn/onc that it was the rarest form of cervical cancer...about 10% of cc's. In that area it is said to be invasive, gladular and rapid........so thats what I was told....just to add to the confusion!!
Cervical adenocarcinoma can be found in virgins and non-sexually active people unlike squamous cell. However recent research is suggesting that adenocarcinoma is a HPV 18 (?) and can be transmitted by touch!! This is what I read but how concrete this is I'm sorry I'm not sure!

Take Care
Diane
Unread 10-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Adenocarcinomas

It does get to be confusing, doesn't it? I've done a lot of reading about this. Now, I am by no means an expert in the field, but I have read a lot. The internet really makes it so much easier to get information! Anyway, here's a synopsis of what I've been able to figure out.

Cervical cancer typically comes in 2 forms: squamous cell carcinoma, and adenocarcinoma. Squamous cell carcinoma is in the majority--around 80-90%. Adenocarcinoma makes up the rest. Now, there are a few miscellaneous cancers that can affect the cervix that are neither of those 2, but those are very rare. Other female cancers probably have different types of cells involved in different proportions. This is only cervical cancer.

The general agreement seems to be that 90-99% of squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix is caused by one form or another of HPV. The most common culprits seem to be HPV 16 and 18. When you look at adenocarcinoma of the cervix, the current studies are suggesting that anywhere from 50%-80% are caused by HPV. Some of these studies have suggested that they will eventually tie most of the cases to HPV--just like they do with squamous cell. There are other cancers linked to HPV such as bladder cancer. It seems to be a very busy virus! Now keep in mind, that many women carry HPV (even the high risk 16 and 18)and do not get cancer. And yes, some studies report that approximately 3% of the general population already have HPV before they are ever sexually active. There are cases of both adencocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma in women who have reportedly not been sexually active.

So, it seems that there is a lot of varying information between studies and between doctors. And it seems that all female cancers are not the same. But there are general trends that can be identified in the literature. Hopefully, all of the information will eventually lead to a cure for cervical cancer--regardless of the type and regardless of what caused it. In the meantime, the best we can do is promote regular PAP smears (it doesn't catch all of it, but it does a pretty good job), and promote good health habits as a whole--good nutrition, good sleep and exercise habits, and good general choices in our lives.

May we all find health, happiness, and peace!

And remember to always ask your doctor about your specific medical circumstances. This is only my interpretation of what I have read in the literature.

Unread 10-05-2002, 09:54 PM
Adenocarcinomas

Betsy,
I too felt really alone when I was diagnosed with cervical adenocarcinoma earlier this year. My best friend works at a hospital and we both searched desparately for info on treatments. There's not a whole lot out there! I wound up getting a 2nd opinion for my treatment (never a bad idea) and found a great doc who answered my questions. He happened to be a gynecologic oncologist, but many OB/Gyns have familiarity too.
I think you'll find great support here. Sending a your way!!
Unread 10-06-2002, 09:33 AM
Adenocarcinomas

Betsy,
Sorry I'm late getting back to you - been out of town for a couple weeks.

I had endometrial adenocarcinoma - or better known as uterine cancer of the endometrium. Since I found I had cancer 3 months ago (why does it feel much longer), I've been doing lots of research and am amazed by all the differences. The nomenclature alone is a lifetime study.

Be sure to keep posting. Between all these great sisters, we've been through everything and can share your fear and, eventually, your joy in killing the beast.
s,
Laura
Unread 10-08-2002, 08:23 AM
I have endocervical adenocarcinoma

I was diagonosed with endocervical adenocarcinoma and my doctor (GYN/ONC) said that it was 80% curable. I hope so for my sake. She said, and I have read, that it is a rare form of cervical cancer. I was just diagonosed 9/16/02, and am looking for any prayers and help with dealing with this monster no matter how small it may be.

Love & Blessings to all

Jane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register