Anti-depressants? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anti-depressants? Anti-depressants?

Unread 09-26-2002, 10:01 PM
Anti-depressants?

Hi,
I don't know if I am low from my surgery or if I am sad. I asked my doctor for help with the hot flashes and he ordered Effexor(?) which I guess is an anit anx. or anit depressant. Anyone have an opinion on this? I would rather avoid it but wanted to know if you all know more. I can't do hrt because of endo. cancer.

Does anyone know about serotonin levels and how removal of ovaries affects these levels? I feel llike I am watching television with the sound down, I feel llike a train that is off the track. I don't feel that "happy" feeling you get when you see something wonderful. Did anyone take a while to get that happy sensation back?

Thank you!

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2002, 10:05 PM
Anti-depressants?

P.S. I know I should be posting on Post Op but I wanted to ask people who 1) share cancer concerns ans 2) have been post op long enough to see the big picture. Thanks.
Unread 09-27-2002, 04:42 AM
Effexor

I looked this up in my Nursing 2002 Drug Handbook. It is indeed used for depression and generalized anxiety disorder. However, I do know that some of these drugs also work for hot flashes. Last year when I first went to the oncologist I was having bad hot flashes and the RN practitioner mentioned a couple times that they have used Paxil and that it controls hot flashes in women who can't do estrogen. It's very possible that you will get relief from feeling low and hot flashes with Effexor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2002, 06:45 AM
Anti-depressants?

Judy
I am taking celexa and it is helping, but my doc said that Effexor is the big gun in anti depressants used for hot flashes. I am thinking about switching. Alot of your feeling may be the anethesia getting out of your system.....I felt that way for about 2 weeks. I also had wierd twitching in my legs and arms. The doc said it was the anethesia (sp?). I hope you start feeling better, but it does take a couple weeks. My hair went whacko after surgery....It was dry, getting thin and wouldn't do a thing....another result of the bodies trauma and anesthsia. I started takidng evening primrose and fish oil and my hair is better than pre surgery. My hairdresser is amazed.
Unread 09-27-2002, 10:02 AM
Hi

I haven't heard of that one but I am on Celexa and it helps wonders with moods swings Although it doesn't do a thing for night sweats or hot flashes.

Try soy milk ~ Vanilla's the best ~ especailly in Cereal you don't have to add sugar.

Betsyb.
Unread 09-27-2002, 11:52 AM
Anti-depressants?

Betsy
My gyn said that Celexa will help with hot flashing, but not as well as Effexor does. I may switch over to see if the Effexor will be more effective. I love the way Celexa eases the mood swings, but I would like something that is more effective in controlling the flashing. I also tried Wellbutrin SR, but I hated the way I felt....I felt like I had jumping beans in my stomach all the time and couldn't sleep a wink at night. I just want to make sure Effexor isn't related to Wellbutrin.
Unread 09-27-2002, 01:19 PM
Good plan

I may just do the same thing. Betsy
Unread 09-27-2002, 06:15 PM
Anti-depressants?

Hey Judy,
I am taking xanax. I have had axiety for years and it also helps with the hot flashes. I will tell you one thing, the flashes will go away eventually. I am almost 1 year post-op for endo cancer and in the beginning it was terrible. I won't take hrt. and also may I add that soy is NOT a good thing when you've had endo cancer. I have read this and many articles regarding soy and endo c.
If you could just hang in there and get some good b-complex along with your anti-depressant, I am sure you'll do fine. It does take time.
Good luck.
Unread 09-27-2002, 06:34 PM
Anti-depressants?

s Judy

I am going to offer some slightly different advice. You have just been through a major surgery, and a major surgery with a cancer component. You have every right to sad and down right now. Go easy on yourself. Don't expect too much yet. Sometimes I think we are in such a hurry to feel better, that we want to skip the grieving part of it all.
If the overwhelming sadness continues and the menopausal symptoms are just too harsh, then I say go for it. But don't be afraid to grieve right now for all you have been through.
Just my humble opinion.

karenann
Unread 09-27-2002, 06:35 PM
puppy2

thanks for sharing about soy for you. that was interesting and I didn't know that.

Betsy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register