Anti-depressants? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anti-depressants? Anti-depressants?

Unread 09-28-2002, 08:07 AM
Anti-depressants?

I am staying away from soy also....but my gyn that said no hrt and totally disagreed with the onc/gyn that I should be on hrt said I could take Isoflavins, which to my surprise was soy. She recommended a number of supplements. I am taking several but researched them and if they had an estrogen element I don't take them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2002, 07:29 PM
Anti-depressants?

Hi Everyone,

Yeah, I am real curious about this Soy aspect. Where do you find articles on it. My doctor doesn't want me on hrt and when I asked about soy he said, "I just don't know."

Something I have been researching lately is the CARDIAC component of all this. They have known since the fifties that removing a woman's ovaries puts her at higher risk for cardiac events. Men have more heart attacks than women until the age of menopause when women equal or surpass men. It is the number one killer of women. a good book is Women are not Little Men.

You know that study they stopped a few months ago on HRT because so many women were having cardiac events, I thought it was the progestins that were causing the problems but my doctor said it might be the estrogen! They don't know yet. One doctor in the newspaper said he doubts now whether estrogen does provide cardiac protection.

I am taking a little natural progesterone cream and that seems to help. anyone know anything bad about that when used with endo. cancer?

Judy
Unread 09-29-2002, 07:31 AM
search engine.

It will give you a good or bad report. I am on soy and have been for a while. It works pretty good for me. It depends on the person and what you and your system can tolerate. Actually in the October Martha Stewart Mag there is a huge artical on it. I just read it last night. If you go in to search engine you just put soy products. It will come up with all kinds of things for you to read.

good luck.

BetsyB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2002, 01:38 PM
soy, antidepressants, and hot flashes

Hi, this is a great thread. I started having hot hot flashes about the third week post op. I complained to my oncologist, and he said he is totally against my taking HRT due to my endo cancer. He then said if the flashes were really bad, I could take Effexor. I said thanks, I'll wait and see. Now I'm heading into my seventh week post op, and did just fine at work all last week. The flashes are less intense, and I still don't think I need antidepressants. I am reluctant to mess with my mind, because I've always been one of the happiest puppies around. Not too many things faze me. Cancer almost did, but I'm feeling upbeat about controlling this threat too.
Now here is the weird thing- some of you have mentioned that your docs said no soy. I asked both of the doctors I see about soy, because I eat or drink soy at every meal. I love it. I drink soy milk, eat soy cheese, put soy protein into my hot cereal , and eat soy burgers. The docs said go ahead! I could hardly believe my ears, but I am continuing to have soy as my dietary staple. Don't run out and do this; maybe my doctors are wrong or I am just hearing what I want to hear.
Maybe my hot flashes have subsided because they are so shocked by all the soy estrogen I am dumping into me :confuse:
JennyW
Unread 09-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Anti-depressants?

This is such a mystery. One thing I think about is the fact that I have eaten soy for the last 10 years and it did not prevent my getting endometrial cancer.

One friend said he read in the paper in the last 6 months that the studies on soy and cancer in Asia are referring to a different type of soy! The article said ASIANS DON'T EAT UNPROCESSED SOY LIKE WE DO, (LIKE SOY MILK). They only eat AGED soy products such as Miso. so there is another thing to puzzle over.

Judy
Unread 09-30-2002, 06:49 AM
hi

They never tell you the full story on these things do they. Jeez

Betsy
Unread 09-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Anti-depressants?

Hiya gals!

I wanted to also jump in here and suggest that you might check into one of the articals that Trish did some research on, one of them was regarding Soy. Also, check on some of the threads over on the No Hormone foum, both Soy and Effexor have been discussed a few times over there.

I think on the Soy issue, alot of it relates to your Dr's views on the soy itself and also but more importantly.. what type of cancer you had and its cell type. Some cancers are estrogen receptive and so some Dr's aren't willing to risk the chance that the "natural" forms of estrogen might increase the chances of a cancer coming back. I do know that my Onc was one of the "cautious" ones as he told me to not take it in any form.

It certainly is a confusing issue, with many differing views and opinions. I don't know if there IS a "right" or "wrong" answer, just whatever works best for each of us.

I hope you all will find some relief, I have seen several posts from ladies who've found relief from Effexor.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 10-01-2002, 08:00 PM
effexor

I am taking effexor. It is a God send! My cancer was hormone driven so no HRT plus I take an anti-estrogen. Many many rotten horrible hot flashes a day. Then I started on effexor. they lightened up in about 2 days. Now I hardly get them. The gyn. onc. org. did a study on effexor and hot flashes. It has been proven to work. It has also taken care of my mood swings and anxiety that came from the surgery and diagnosis. There's no reason not to try it. If you're as miserable as I was, and then have the same kind of improvement, you'd be thrilled.
SusanL
Unread 10-02-2002, 10:08 PM
Anti-depressants?

I also take Effexor for hot flashes. I have found it has also helped with some minor depression that I was having. My doctor says that it has been around along time and has fewer side effects than other anti-depressants. My hot flashes are diminishing and I am now able to sleep through the night!
Unread 10-02-2002, 11:26 PM
Anti-depressants?

Do either of you notice side effects from the Effexor? I heard weird dreams can be a problem. Plus, I am afraid of being a Zombie. Can your family tell you're on it? Or do you behave exactly the same but less anxious? Do you feel as clear headed?

Thank you.

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register