Anti-depressants? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anti-depressants? Anti-depressants?

Unread 10-03-2002, 09:27 AM
Anti-depressants?

Well Dear I know for me it has made me less tense and actually a happy person again. You can handle more things and are the person you were before Depression, Stress and multitudes of other things came to bear you down. They truly help.
No you don't turn in to a zombie or a stepford wife. You get back to your wonderful self again. Not that you won't get angry from time to time but it will be managable..

does that help hon?

Betsyb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Anti-depressants?

Judy
I take Celexa 20mg and it doesn't make me feel weird at all. The first week or so I had a slight headache, but that went away. I am going to ask my gyn in Nov if I can give Effexor a try since I have read such good reports on it.
Does Effexor cause weight gain.....or sexual probs?
Unread 10-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Anti-depressants?

I am taking Effexor and have been taking it for 2 years. My PCP thinks it is the reason the Megace hasn't dropped me into a horrible depression (I have a pretty significant history of major depressive disorder). Although every person reacts to drugs differently I can say that it has not made me into a "zombie" - no one but my spouse and drs knows that I take it, it hasn't caused any sexual problems (Paxil caused problems for me in that area), and after I got past the slight nausea and some weird twitchyness during the first couple of weeks that I took it, I haven't had any side effects. In my opinion it is worth a try.

On the soy question - I find it interesting that drs who think HRT is not an option encourage soy. Aren't estrogens estrogens regardless of whether they are from an animal or plant source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2002, 08:36 PM
Anti-depressants?

I haven't had any side effects at all. I feel like my old self (before cancer)and am able to cope with things better. I feel like I have a better perspective on things.
Unread 10-04-2002, 03:50 AM
Anti-depressants?

i just started taking celexa. the paper said it would take about 4 weeks for it to be working at it's full capacity. i don't know if it's a mental thing or what, but the tears have stopped. things still upset me easily but the nonstop crying is over. i don't want to take medicine the rest of my life. how long do you usually have to stay on this stuff? i'm only 32 with a tah/bso and on HRT.
Unread 10-04-2002, 04:22 AM
Anti-depressants?

Legume
I was very surprised when my gyn said no no no to hrt but yes take Isoflavins.
Have you had any weight gain with the Effexor? I find that I realllllly enjoy carbs on Celexa. Carb cravings is one of the side effects.
How long will you take the Megace? I was so surprised when I heard there was a therapy other than surgery for endo c. I also had a stage 1 endo c but surgery was the only option that was presented to me.
Unread 10-04-2002, 06:55 AM
Celexa

I take it too just got bumped up to 40 milligrams and it's wonderful. Great for mood swings. It helped me loose some extra wieght and got rid of a deep depression I was in that I didn't even know about. The saritonin in it also helps with someache problems too. that is why I went on it in the first place. It works on IBS too for the saritonin in the stomach not only the brain. does that make sense?

good luck and heal well.

Betsy :dragon:
Unread 10-04-2002, 09:00 PM
Anti-depressants?

Legume,
Do you mind if I ask how much Megace they have you taking?
Thanks. Judy
Unread 04-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Effexor

Hi, I happened on this site when I searched about Effexor & weird dreams on the internet. Someone asked if that was a side effect, and I believe it is. I have been on Effexor XR, 50 mg now for a little over a month. Just for depression, I have not had any operations or a hysterectomy. But I wanted to clear up that it does NOT make you feel like a zombie or extra happy.. which I was afraid of at first too! It just lets you enjoy life again how you did before you were depressed, etc. Kinda gets you back to 'your old self' type of thing.. which is very refreshing. I have been on Zoloft, which had MAJOR side effects, then was put on Paxil, which didn't have many side effects (most common was upset stomach at first, and had sexual side effects - couldn't acheive orgasm), but on Paxil, I was VERY tired all the time! so my Dr took me off that, and tried Effexor XR.. first the 37.5mg dose, and that had a bad effect. Like the 'sadness' was creeping up on me, and I had serious suicidal thoughts. I upped it to the 75mg dose, and am feeling much better now. The only side effect is that I do have weird dreams.. alot at first, and kind of tapering off now. I still have bad dreams (nightmares) occassionally, but not very often anymore..so I'm hoping they go away completely. But no sexual side effects at ALL, and I'm getting really good sleep at night, yet still awake during the day... so staying on Effexor as my semi-permanent med for now.

Hope this answers a few questions about this med. My Dr put me on Effexor mainly because it's a completely different class/family as zoloft & paxil. Kind of explained it as the zoloft family only worked 1 way, where effexor works 2 different ways. On helping the reuptake inhibitors, but also on the other side of things to absorb the necessary chemicals/hormones on the other end of things as well. So for now, that's all I know, is that for me, Effexor works the best for me, and it seems the very few side effects seem to be going away slowly, and I hope to be functioning normally for a loooong time to come!
Unread 04-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Anti-depressants?

Ok, and I just realized that nobody has posted on here for the past 2 years, so nobody would probably even see my post! hehe oops! :P

I'm new, what can I say?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register