Really worried about what it will be like after the surgery. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Really worried about what it will be like after the surgery. Really worried about what it will be like after the surgery.

Unread 09-27-2002, 10:43 PM
Really worried about what it will be like after the surgery.

My surgery is scheduled for Oct 22. I am really worried about what to expect after the surgery. My doctor has been great to answer questions, but she has not had this surgery. My mom had it when she was 25 (for many of the same reasons I am having it) and she is telling me horror stories. (She is a nurse and can get really graphic at times) I don't think she is trying to scare me, I think she is just scared for me. I have accepted the fact that I need the surgery, but wonder what life will be like afterwards. I will keep my ovaries, but I don't know about the cervix. The only thing I know for sure is that I am tired of bleeding all the time. Any advise????
Thanks for your time.
Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2002, 11:32 PM
What kind of surgery are you going to have?

Hi,
How is the Dr planning on doing the surgery? How old are you? I too have fibroids and my surgery is scheduled of 10-3.

Mel
Unread 09-28-2002, 01:10 AM

Hi. My TAH was less than a month ago, and life is all ready so much better. I still have to take it easy, but not as easy as I had to take it when I was bleeding all the time.

Sure there are risks, as with any surgery. But if the surgery is a necessity, then expect a real improvement in your "quality of life".

I'm glad your Dr is supportive. Have the two of you discussed these "horror stories"? She may not have had the surgery, but surely she has had plenty of experience with those who have.

You can read the Post-op Support Board for lots of other people's experience with after the surgery...most of us are doing just fine, with manageable pain and improving daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2002, 03:51 AM
Worried is normal

Oh (((cat and mel))) and all the LIW

pre op is a high anxiety time when your head is spinning and your mind is full of questions. You can read the boards and even search for a particular area of concern. Please notice that we all got through to the other side(*even though I was convinced the waiting might kill me )

You can read the castle stories to see that the worst horrors are in your imagination or visit the post op board to see the view on the other side. Also remember that most priincesses take their crowns and run off to lead their new healthy lives in their thongs and white pants and we don't hear back from them as often.

Can you tell your mom to tell you "good" stories or can you look at her and say Mom obviously you did ok to be here twenty or so years later. Looking back with a whole months wisdom, the bad patches I Had while devastating for that twenty four hours are fixed now and my uncooperative uterus is GONE..

If you are wishing for some real time support please come visit us in chat. it is the BEST place for waiting and waiting and those are the people that kept me sane while I was waiting. Good [email protected]

you will do FINE! Start planning now what books you will read during recovery or what friends you will call to amuse you.

good luck
hope to see you soon in chat

xo
betsy
ndeelou2 in chat
Unread 09-28-2002, 04:34 AM

Surgical methods and pain relief techniques have changed a lot in the 20 or so years since your Mom had her surgery. Being a nurse she should know this.

Yes, there is always a possibilty for complications with any type of surgery, no more or less for a hyst than any other type.

Yes, you will experience some discomfort after surgery, that's to be expected. It's not horrible, and it gets better. I say "discomfort" because for me it was a lot less than the menstrual cramps I had suffered with.

Yes, you will have a couple of weeks of being a couch potato; gradually you will feel up to doing more each day, one day you'll realize the pain is gone, you have more energy than you've had for ages, and you no longer care where the closest bathroom is!

So yes, read other princess' stories, ask questions, and ask your Mom to please stop telling you horror stories!

Best wishes!
Unread 09-28-2002, 06:07 AM
mothering nurses....

My mother is a nurse too and I'm sure she's preparing the family behind my back for the hormonal whench she thinks I'm about to become!

I'm trying not to let it get to me though (for once I'm thinking purely about my own health without considering how others will react!) because things have changed for the better and I know she's fully supportive that the surgery is appropriate considering my condition.

I think it's imperative that we read both sides to the story and hope for the best. There are so many sites that denegrate hysterectomy but what of the women who don't have a choice? I've reached that point and I know my life will be better after surgery because it sure as heck can't get much worse than it is now.

regards
Xaviera
Unread 09-28-2002, 06:28 AM
The waiting is the worst part

You'll be fine!!! I remember laying in my room right after the surgery...I was smiling all afternoon because the waiting was over!!! Any discomfort, yucky hospital stuff, and need to now heal for a long while are ok...nothing you can't handle...

Best wishes for you'll do great.

:HUG:

Debra
Unread 09-28-2002, 07:08 AM
5 days post-op

Hi! I just wanted to tell you that reading and listening to a lot of horror stories are not what you need right now! I was so scared right before my surgery that I stopped reading posts that sounded negative, and started reading the fun boards on this site. I figured I couldn't change what was to be, but I sure could change my outlook and my attitude. It helped. And, I'm all done! Yes, it hurts to stand up first thing in the morning, but you've had worse pain with cramps. In the recovery room, when I was expecting excruciating pain, I was chatting pleasantly with the nurse, aware of everything, but not in pain. I remember maybe a dull ache. The nurses asked me every few minutes how bad my pain was, and NEVER refused me some pain medicine. I took however much I needed, and got up and walked as soon as they would let me. I even walked from the door to my bed, right out of the recovery room!! Most of us have good experiences, but forget to write on this board because we're not obsessing any more! Please hang in there, and surround yourself with optimism and comfort--you will be fine!!

Mary
Unread 09-28-2002, 08:38 AM

The waiting is the hardest part of your hyster. Why? Because you still can say what if this and what if that and what if.............................????? When you actualy become a you just deal with what is actualy happening at the time and that is it. Much easier on us emotionaly.

Different health issues have brought us to this land of hyster and some are more complicated than others. It definetly can be overwhelming to read about the many difficulties some of the newly crowned princess's are having but remember most of us breeze in and out of the land of hyster and go on to LIVING. We just forget to come back and tell you because we are just so busy getting on with the rest of our new and improved lives.

When I was a liw I tried to focus and the positive. I realize that some really have a hard time but even then some of the stories where so encouraging at how they faced their problems and to see the support and love they got from these boards made me realize that if I ran into some difficulties post-operatively I sure would not be alone in dealing with it. I could come her 24/7 and would be listened to and supported and that in itself would be the strength needed to pull through.

Your mother brobably just wants to cover all the possibilities of "what if's" so that you can be realistic about this surgery. When one as no idea of what to expect or are ill prepared about this they can have a really difficult time. But don't be shy to tell her that this is enoug info for you right now and "Mom" could you please tell me about the possitive side of this. Letting her know how you fell is o.k. also. Be realistic but focus on the positive. Wishing you the best.
Unread 09-28-2002, 10:11 AM
Ditto

I would say "ditto" to all the previous posts.....on all those different points. Waiting is truly the worst part of the whole thing, and when it is over all your energy and emotions can focus on how you feel and healing as quickly as possible. I had a smile on my face as soon as I woke up in recovery, and it stayed there for most of my hospital stay. Each hour, each day you feel better post-op...and before you know it, you feel so much better than pre-op. Today was the first day for me getting up, that I forgot I had surgery, until I took my nightgown off as I stepped into the shower.....Oh, look at that scar, oh yea, I am feeling good!

Do check out all the boards, pull down menus, and the princess stories....that will give you a good idea of the different things you can expect. And chat is great for immediate support when you need it fast! It is also lots of fun.

FlossBoss/Molly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register