Upcoming hysterectomy 9/6: What kind of anesthesia should I chose? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 9/6: What kind of anesthesia should I chose? Upcoming hysterectomy 9/6: What kind of anesthesia should I chose?

Unread 08-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/6: What kind of anesthesia should I chose?

I am having a hysterectomy done September 6, 2017. As far as I know I am getting a vaginal hysterectomy. There are two questions I need answered before I talk to my doctor Friday so I can know exactly what I am going to talk to him about. Question 1: Which hysterectomy is the best - abdominal, vaginal, laparoscopy, or daVinci? And what exactly is a da Vinci? Which one takes the least recovery time? And I also have severe IBS and gastroparesis so how will this surgery affect me? Question 2: What anesthesia is best? I get very deathly sick with general where they put you completely under so I am nervous and opted to not have the surgery due to this. I have heard that they can do an epidural/spinal anesthesia and a slight sedative. I have had the amnesia drug before and I do not get sick from it so if I have an option I would chose that one. Any answers or opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2017, 04:05 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 9/6: What kind of anesthesia should I chose?

Mine is coming up on 9/14 and I also have concerns about anesthesia. I have not found information on what options are out there so I am looking forward to seeing any responses also.

All the Best to you!
Unread 08-31-2017, 06:41 AM

Your surgery type depends on your diagnosis - I had fibroids - along with your surgeon's preference and skill level. Your personal preferences can also play a role - my surgeon had chosen LAVH, but I pushed for a supracervical approach, because my research indicated that it would be more appropriate for my individual situation. As for the type of anaesthesia, that's up to your anaesthesiologist; you'll likely have a chance to speak to him beforehand, so if you let him know about the issues you've mentioned, then he can take steps to address them. As for your gastroparesis, I have poor stomach motility myself, and it was only after I threw up on day 3 that I found out that I shouldn't have been taking a narcotic painkiller, so be sure to discuss that with your surgeon, as well as with the doctor who's managing your condition. As for your IBS, it's quite common to be constipated for about 1-2 weeks following the surgery. To get things moving, be sure to get up and start walking around as soon as possible. Helpful grocery items to have on hand include peppermint tea, prunes and prune juice, frozen cherries, dried apricots, whole grain cereal, and ground flaxseeds. Also look for something to elevate your feet while sitting on the toilet, like a Squatty Potty or a low stool; this can help to prevent straining, by properly aligning the rectum, so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Another of my top tips, which can help to encourage regularity, is to squat on the toilet right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc30643 View Post
...Question 1: Which hysterectomy is the best - abdominal, vaginal, laparoscopy, or daVinci? And what exactly is a da Vinci?
da Vinci = laparoscopic robotic-assisted hysterectomy

Quote:
Which one takes the least recovery time?
The da Vinci is said to take the least recovery time, the abdominal the most. However, this isn't the only factor in choosing a hysterectomy type. For example, my hysterectomy was for cancer. My surgeon said that doing an abdominal with a vertical incision would give him the most room to look around for signs that the cancer had spread. That sound logical to me, so that's what we did.

If you want to keep your cervix, then a vaginal hysterectomy is out.

A da Vinci requires special, rather expensive equipment. Not all hospitals have this equipment and not all doctors are trained to use it. You definitely want a doctor who had both training and experience in using the equipment.

Quote:
Question 2: What anesthesia is best? I get very deathly sick with general where they put you completely under so I am nervous and opted to not have the surgery due to this. I have heard that they can do an epidural/spinal anesthesia and a slight sedative. I have had the amnesia drug before and I do not get sick from it so if I have an option I would chose that one. Any answers or opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
I had an epidural with additional sedation. I don't know about "slight" - I went under at about noon and the next thing I remember, it was 7:30 PM! Then again, I tend to react more strongly than most people to sedatives.

For me, the epidural worked well. With either an epidural or a spinal, you have a more direct delivery, so the anesthesiologist can use lower doses to achieve the same effect.
Unread 08-31-2017, 09:38 AM

I had same day surgery with no hospital stay and opted for the TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy) because I was told it had the fastest recovery time. I can't speak on the other options but I can say I had a very smooth & fast recovery. After day 3 post op I was off all meds and pain free. I'm now 8 weeks post op and haven't needed anything since. I was back to my normal routine (driving, cooking etc) week 1 and was cleared by my doctor to begin light exercise during my 2 week check up.

Its major surgery no matter what route you take, but from what I've read here most TVH patients bounce back fairly quickly.
Unread 08-31-2017, 02:08 PM

I will let you know how it goes. I have my pre-op with my doctor tomorrow so I will hopefully be put at ease.

Thanks and I wish you the best of luck too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register