New to Everything Here... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to Everything Here... New to Everything Here...

Unread 09-29-2002, 07:41 AM
New to Everything Here...

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and posted on the Ladies in Waiting yesterday. A very nice Princess responded telling me about this board for Cancer Concerns. Last week, I was told that my biopsy shows endometrial cancer and when I met with the Onco/Gyn a couple days ago, he scheduled me for a TAH BSO next Friday.
I had a couple of months of heavy periods (unusual for me) but the last one in August was just getting out of control - when I went to the Doc, I was severely anemic and went right into the hospital for a blood transfusion. Thats where I received my biopsy.
The Onco/Gyn I saw Friday made quick work of everything I need pre-op (x-ray, ekg, etc) and 3 hours after my surgery I was ready to come back in a week. I had received an Rx for provera while in the hospital to slow the bleeding, but my surgeon gave me a new Rx for Megestrol, which I was surprised to read is an anti-estrogen cancer drug...I am just looking forward to getting the surgery done, and I am focusing now on healing post-op!
I have read the pre-op and post-op boards for a couple weeks now and I think thats why I was so calm in the hospital Friday and didnt forget my questions for the doctor. Thank you for your help, it really means alot!

Sheri_lp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2002, 07:53 AM

s Sheri

Welcome to Cancer Concerns. There are many ladies here who share your diagnosis and will be along with hugs, support, and even a little advice.
I am glad to read you are being treated by a gyn oncology surgeon. They are the experts. Once you recover from the surgery, I bet you feel better than you have in a long time. Walking around with a severe anemia is not a fun way to feel. Hopefully after surgery that will all be behind you.
Best wishes for an easy surgery and smooth recovery.
Stop back and keep us updated.

karenann
Unread 09-29-2002, 08:02 AM
Welcome Sheri

Yes, the gyn/onc is the person to have do the surgery. I've had blood before and it will help that anemia quickly. You'll feel better. Here's hoping that all goes well next Friday and that you need no further post-op treatments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2002, 09:09 AM

Sheri,
's to you!! Just wanted to wish you good luck & to let you know that I'll be praying for you! Let us know how you're doing! Paula
Unread 09-30-2002, 11:17 AM

Sheri
I also was diagnosed with endo c stage 1 this last summer. I am 44 and it was a total shock. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask....I found Hystersisters after my diagnosis and surgery....I sure could have used the support prior to the op date.....This board is so informative and supportive.
Unread 09-30-2002, 06:13 PM
You Princesses are the Best!

Hey all,

It really is so great to feel that I am not going 'in there' alone! I appreciate all your kind thoughts and prayers - I also include all Ladies and Princesses in mine now too.

Just doing the big countdown til Thursday when the hospital tells me when to check-in on Friday. My sister is a radiology tech and is traveling out to be with me for the first week which will be a great help, then my mom will come out and spend more time. I am lucky to have family and supportive friends. ESPECIALLY in Hyster-land!

My head is also full of stuff - like, I am definitely not looking forward to the first 24-48 hours afterward, or I remember that Tylenol 3 used to make me nauseous lol (gotta have a chat with the anesthesiologist 'bout that)...or how I will not bend down...and I hope I don't have to have radiation...

Thanks for listening!!!! Love you guys!

Sheri_lp
Unread 09-30-2002, 06:20 PM

Sheri
Another thing you should ask about is how your pain will be managed the first couple days. I had a pump and I could self medicate as I needed it. The nurses told me to push it about every 6-8 minutes even if I wasn't feeling pain, because pain can build and then it is harder to get in control....My husband and oldest daughter stayed with me and they would push the button while I was sleeping so the pain would stay in check. After 48 hours I was put on a pill for the pain. The only time I remember any real pain is the first time they got me up....Be prepared and if you have a pain pump make sure you give yourself two doses before letting the nurse make you do it. Getting up was the hardest but the best thing I did for my recovery. Walking gets everything moving and you will feel so much better. I found myself waking in the middle of the night, getting up and walking the hall....
I also paid the extra for a private room and it was worth every penny.
Unread 10-01-2002, 07:59 PM

Hi Sheri!

Sending you lots of warm thoughts and prayers for your surgery this Friday.

I hope it is swift and uneventful and you'll be soon home resting and healing well. I sooooo agree with Chris on the walking helping, it helps so very much.

Please let us know how things go for you when you're up to it.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 10-02-2002, 05:55 AM

Sheri
Be sure to post when you feel up to it after your surgery to let us know how you are doing. Chris
Unread 10-04-2002, 08:40 AM

Sheri,

Wish you the best for your surgery today (10/4). I have been out of town for a few days, and saw your post when I returned.

Remember the post-op rules, . Come back and say hello when you're up to it.

's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register