Did I make the right decision? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did I make the right decision? Did I make the right decision?

Unread 09-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Did I make the right decision?

I had my pre-op meeting today with my surgeon for a hysterectomy scheduled next Tuesday 10/8. I did allot of research and talked to women at the office that have recently had the surgery, but I'm feeling a bit unnerved.

I'm 46 years old and suffer with fibroids. I'm tired of being tired all the time, loosing sleep, mood swings and of course the bleeding. My surgery will remove my uterus, cervix and ovaries. Tonight I found a site called HERS? Scared the daylights out of me!

I think I know down deep inside this is the best course of action for me, but why am I not certain? Why is this so emotional? No one I know seems to understand ... so I'm hopeful that those of you that have experienced similar problems can share your experiences with me in an objective manner ....

Thanks in advance for your support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2002, 07:23 PM

Hi Grace,

You have found the single best website there is!!! I too questioned should I be doing this (I go Oct 4). I am in no pain, just heavy clotting and bleeding.

Making this decision did not come lightly for me. I put it off for several months (just the decision). Once my doctor said the "H" word, I ran to my GP and asked for her opinion. She was so excited to hear that I was thinking about doing this. She thinks my quality of life will be so much better. I am 43 so not much age difference between us. Ask yourself this, do you really want to put up with these symptons for years to come or do you want to improve the quality of your life now and enjoy yourself in your prime of life?

Stick with this website, you will find tons of support.

Jodi
Unread 09-30-2002, 07:33 PM

Hi Grace,

I'm sure you will get a lot of back-up here in a moment. I have not had surgery yet for my fibroids. All I can tell you, is that I'm going on 54 and there is no menopause in sight. If you do nothing... you may be living with your symtoms for another 8 years!

When the quality of life begins to decrease and you can no longer live with your current situation, then it is time to move forward. Deciding to have elective major surgery is most difficult. Most all of us are scared and doubtful that the decision is the right one. Just know that you are not alone.

My best to you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2002, 07:36 PM
I'll tell ya what Grace

I can relate to that conflicted feeling you're describing. I think I am as POSITIVE as I could possibly be about having my surgery (yet to be scheduled) but there is still a tiny nagging voice in the back of my mind. Personally, I think that's normal and I doubt that we can avoid it. The best you can do is a little research, a little question asking (of yourself and others), and then go with your gut... and as someone else said, ask yourself if you can go on like this. I think maybe it's kind of like any big decision, you can only be SO sure, then you have to jump in! best of luck to you.
Unread 09-30-2002, 07:37 PM

:confuse: Maybe if you are very unsure if this is the right thing to do , you may want to postpone for a while. And there are different ways of getting rids of fibroids to, as I have heard. But you are in good place here getting information from so many different people. So far I have not heard one person say they regret the decision to have the hysterectomy. I am so glad that I found this site and I have been on it constantly listening and asking questions. I get my tah bso in Nov. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.
Unread 09-30-2002, 07:49 PM
Thank you all

I knew that coming to this site was the right thing to do. You're all so positive and supportive. You're like 's

Yes, I've thought about this for a while. My doctor first talked the big "H" about a year ago. I thought that having my ovarian cyst out a few months ago would make things better, but not so! I trust my doctor and feel that she's given me the best care and advice. I think that my emotions are playing havok with my decision-making capabilities and that's probably why I feel so insecure with my decision.

I'll keep checking in here this week as the day gets closer and hopefully all of your happy thoughts 's will ease the tension!
Unread 09-30-2002, 08:13 PM

Hi Grace,

I congratulate you on spending so much time and effort researching your hysterectomy. I spent many hours on the computer, reading books and speaking with friends. My decision came very easily and with great confidence. I have a strong faith in the Lord and I knew with his guidance that this hysterectomy was the best choice for me. My surgery was 13 days ago and I have not had one ounce of regret.
Take some time to be alone and quiet...let your inner voice guide your decision. I think we all have that ability to look deep inside and instinctively know what is best for us. I hope and pray that you too can find the contentment that I found with my decision.

Best of luck and God bless,

Patti
Unread 09-30-2002, 08:18 PM

You and are thinking just alike, and we share the surgery date! My pre-op is this Thursday. Oh, and we're the same age. My Dr. first mentioned the big H word in 1996. We tried hormones, birthcontrol, LAP, D&C. I kept hoping things would get better. So put it off as long as possible. Nothing got better, I began to get worse. I had fibroids removed last year in December. I started my normal period in January and bled through March. Yech. I am so tired -- tired of it all, including the emotinal roller coaster. One minute I am clear headed and positive of my decision. The next, I am soooooooooo scared. I haven't seen the site you mentioned, but this site is so encouraging. Best wishes. I will be thinking and praying for you. Teri
Unread 09-30-2002, 08:44 PM

I think that it is completely normal to be so unsure. I just had a LAVH on 9-17. I just turned 28 and have a son that is almost 10 months. I researched until I was blue in the face and it really all boiled down to "the need" to have it done. I had extremely bad back pain from the time my son was 3 weeks old and have not been able to fully enjoy the first almost year of his life. Mine was not a 100% necesity. It was due to my Uterus being 2x the normal size and very missplaced. But I fully trusted my 7 doctors and after every test in the book, they concluded that this is the first of many steps to relieve (hopefully) my pain. I think it is harder when you have an option because you go through the "what if's" 100 times an hour (and thats on a good day). But I did it and thank god I did because they found another problem while they were in there that they had not discovered before. I am in the beginning stages of dealing with the mental part of it all and know that is a long road to go. But I think that anyone who has any bit of a say in the matter goes through the back and forth part and just knoe that you will feel tons better when it is all over with and just be positive about your decision. I am new here too and have really found that there is much more information here than anywhere else I have searched. I just wish I found this before my surgery. I hope this has been a little bit helpful to you. Just know that you are definately not alone with your doubts.
Unread 09-30-2002, 08:56 PM

Grace... i am sure you have made the right decision ... ((((((((((((YOU))))))))))))))>. my date is yet to be set .. but from all i have read .. the waiting is the toughest part ...

My thoughts and prayers are with you .. and if you jus need a hugger .. here it is in a HUGE way ..........

Good Luck and Take Care of YOU !!!!!!!!!!

Love.... Janelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register