Upcoming hysterectomy 10/18: Overweight, and a smoker | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/18: Overweight, and a smoker Upcoming hysterectomy 10/18: Overweight, and a smoker

Unread 10-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/18: Overweight, and a smoker

So the date is finally set for surgery. Suddenly I am really worried because I am very overweight, and I smoke. Now with my smoking, I have cut back alot, I went from a pack a day to 6-8 a day. I had hoped to be further along in my stop smoking plan before the date was set, but my pain and stress from not being able to do anything because of the pain, has really slowed my progress down
I am worried that it will cause problems with the surgery, while I am under, add that to my weight issues ( 5'10, 344lbs). I need this surgery, and look forward to not having pain, and flash flooding for periods, but worried I won't make it out the other side because of my issues.
Just looking for some advice and may be a hug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Re: Overweight, and a smoker, date set for surgery

I'm a smoker too and was told to quit before my surgery of October 23rd but as of yet I haven't. I can't. I don't know what will happen either. Every surgery I've had in the past I was a smoker then too. I quit for 7 years when I finally got pregnant but then I started back when she was 7. I figure I'll quit once I'm healing since I'm not going to be up to walking down the stairs to go outside. I'm planning on getting nicotine gum to put on my nightstand with my pain medication.
Unread 10-04-2017, 05:34 PM

I am also a smoker and like you cut back from nearly a pack a day to maybe half, if that. That was one of my biggest fears for surgery, too. But I expressed that fear to my anesthesiologist and she told me she wasn't concerned about that at all. She told me that while it's not ideal, it's definitely something that she could handle and deal with. My surgery was nearly 6 hours and there were no issues. Talk to your anesthesiologist before your surgery. Let them know your fears and concerns. They will be able to tell you whether or not it's something that concerns them or whether they can work with it. Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2017, 05:54 PM

Thank you, I have my appointment with anesthesiologist on the 11th, from now until then I am going to track exactly how much I smoke, so they know exactly what they have to do! I appreciate your response knowing someone else has gone through as a smoker helps alot!
Unread 10-04-2017, 08:02 PM

One thing to consider is if you will remain in the hospital (at least overnight?) post-op...and whether the hospital is a non-smoking facility.
Unread 10-04-2017, 09:41 PM

They say it's only day surgery and I should be leaving by 5 or 6 pm that night. I will probably want a smoke by then, but my hope is to use this as finally being able to put down the smokes for good. I so badly want to quit, and only smoke when the cravings get bad, so down to 6-8 a day right now, it's up to will power and determination to drop it more before surgery and never pick up another after I get home!!
Unread 10-05-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenp1013 View Post
They say it's only day surgery and I should be leaving by 5 or 6 pm that night. I will probably want a smoke by then, but my hope is to use this as finally being able to put down the smokes for good. I so badly want to quit, and only smoke when the cravings get bad, so down to 6-8 a day right now, it's up to will power and determination to drop it more before surgery and never pick up another after I get home!!
I had to stay overnight but I was so drugged up that smoking never even crossed my mind. Even my first few days home, I had other things to worry about and didn't smoke for a few days. It would be awesome if you could quit completely before surgery, but I wouldn't stress over it. Just focus on preparing your recovery space and any other prep work you need to do. You got this!!
Unread 10-05-2017, 01:24 AM

Thanks!! I got my spot set up, now it's just waiting, besides cleaning, taking kids to school lol. Luckily my mom is coming to stay for about a week, just to make sure I am ok, and my kids are looked after while hubby is at work, pick ups drop off at school ect. So I should be ok!!
Unread 10-21-2017, 10:23 PM

I am in the same situation as you!! I am overweight and smoke. Surgery is Monday and while I am down to 4 smokes today, I am a wreck!! I’m hoping you did great and would love to hear from you.
Unread 10-21-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnesper View Post
I am in the same situation as you!! I am overweight and smoke. Surgery is Monday and while I am down to 4 smokes today, I am a wreck!! I’m hoping you did great and would love to hear from you.
I did fantastic!!! I was upfront about the amount, and didn't smoke the day of surgery, once I was fasting, I didn't smoke! Never had an issue at all!!
You will do great! If you even have a drag off a smoke before surgery let them know so they can make the proper adjustment. They kept me on oxygen longer, just to be sure after surgery, but that just the mask. Make sure you take vasalene for your nose, it will get dry from the oxygen and makes throat feel worse.
Hope it all goes well for you!! Please keep in touch!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register