more cancer found | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

more cancer found more cancer found

Unread 10-03-2002, 07:29 AM
more cancer found

I was supposed to see my new dr last week to discuss radiation. I had recovered well from the pelvic exenteration and thankful the pathololgy report had shown all my lymph nodes were fine even though the vaginal tumor was 8.5 centimeters. On the day of my appt I found my self in having emergency surgery for a kink in my small intestine that had caused a blockage. 2 1/2 inches were removed and more cancer cells were found, so i guess they can spread other ways then thru the lymph or bloodstream? I got home from the hospital yesterday and except for surgery soreness feel good, but scared and confused. The dr wants me to start 5wks of radiation and chemo in one month. My 18 yr old son cried and my 16 yr old has such fear in his eyes. The 15 yr old is absorbed with school and band. My 14 yr old daughter said "I AM NOT IN DENIAL if you die I'll be sad, but know it was your time and you are in a better place" It's such a strange place to be in as a mom, because I can't take away their pain like when they were small and I am the source of it. all i can do is hold on to the past, keep vigil over the future and hope for the best. NO! I don't have to just hope. I can know with surety that God always gives what is best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2002, 09:46 AM
more cancer found

((Debbie))

Although I understand cancer fear (ovca for me) I have never been in your boots. It has just been a short time since your diagnosis and surgery. It is too early to tell what the future holds. Many ladies on this board have had their cancer spread and have endured recurrences only to have knowledgeable doctors push the cancer down again.

I will to G-d for your healing, and your family's peace.

Dorrie
Unread 10-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Now time to Attack!

What a scare and disappointment, I know--but now the doctors will have fuller information and can give you just the treatment you need to break this beast's back. Here's a and a er for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2002, 05:41 PM
more cancer found

Hi Debbie..
I am sorry to hear about what is happening and i do feel for your children and know what they are going thru. My mom had a mastectomy 26 years ago. I was pregnant with my first child and was petrified. MY dad, years later had stomach cancer and they lived too far away for me to help with anything. Again i was scared to death.. But as scared as i was, thats how strong my parents were and are both cancer survivors. In april i was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and had a total hysterectomy. MY 24 year old son could not do enough for me but my 21 year old was afraid of me. He was scared to even talk to me or come to the hospital to see me. Well, i am now finished with my chemo and have made peace with everyone. It is a frightening situation for all but kids make the strength in us come out. Hang in there.
Rosalie
Unread 10-03-2002, 06:49 PM
more cancer found

(((Debbie)))

How frightened you must be at this point! It sounds as if your doctor is ready to go full steam ahead. Remember that cancer treatments have improved so much this past 10 years--even 5 years. Heck, they come out with new, improved treatments all the time. Do not lose faith. You can beat this!

Your children all sound pretty typical to me. I was an adult when my father was diagnosed with cancer, but some of my younger siblings were still at home. Everyone dealt with it differently. And all of those ways were valid.

Please know that I will be keeping you in my 'ers and close to my . Stop in and post any time you need us!

Unread 10-03-2002, 06:54 PM
more cancer found

Wow, you have certainly been through a lot lately. I am sorry that you got this bad news just as you were feeling that your recovery from such major surgery was going well. Maybe that emergency surgery was a blessing because the cancer was found now instead of months down the road. I just wanted to let you know that I hope your future treatments will go well and most importantly, be effective! Keep us all posted!

Joanie
Unread 10-03-2002, 07:06 PM
more cancer found

s Debbie

I wish I knew the words to comfort you. I do not! I do know that this situation is not your fault. So try not to feel responsible for hurting your family. It is out of your control.
My own children were 18 and 22 when I was diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer. And even at that age I wanted to protect them. I choose to be fully honest with them. Kids have their own way of coping. All you can do is to be honest about your own situation while encouraging them to go on with their lives as usual.
We were just talking about this very subject at my support group yesterday.
I've always been a softy as a mom, and cancer has probably made me even softer. Not that discipline is still necessary for my guys, but I feel like my future with them is now. And I strive for excellence in those relationships. Little annoyances by the younger son just no longer annoy me. My husband doesn't always understand. But he probably has the next thirty years of developing changing relationships with our kids.
Many public schools offer counseling for kids with a difficult situation at home such as yours. Also many cancer centers offer psycological help for entire families.
In a way, it may be a blessing that this cancer was found before radiation began. Now the treatment can be appropriately planned for all the hot spots.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. YOu will find the strength to do this.
As will your family.

karenann
Unread 10-04-2002, 08:32 AM
more cancer found

's to you Debbie,

I am so sorry to hear of your recent news of more surgery and now radiation and chemo. Sounds like your doctor is going ahead with treatment that will take care of those nasty cells. Stay positive.

Children all have different ways of coping. It's hard to see "mom" going through surgery and treatments, and emotions have to come out in some way. My dad had three separate cancers (considered a "cure" after each new primary) and the first cancer was when I was 16. I remember feeling very sad, but saw how upbeat and positive he was and to this day we have a special bond.

Sending you lots of healing thoughts and 's.
Unread 10-04-2002, 09:36 PM
more cancer found

{{Debbie}}

I'm so sorry you're having this added on top of everything, it can certainly be a shock to discover the cancer was more wide spread than originally thought. Mine also had spread quite a bit more than originally thought although it was ovarian in nature.

What the rest of the gals have said is absolutely right! There are more and more treatment options available and more coming out all the time.

I know its so hard to know that what you're going through is causing pain to your family but each person really DOES handle things differently. Where some may want to discuss and listen, to others its just not their way to share their feelings and prefer not to discuss anything at all.

I was very much the "try not to talk about it type" during my moms battle with breast cancer. I did alot better talking about things with my dad's battles with both colon and lung. Since that time I've become a whole LOT more outgoing with talking about things and its really helped me in dealing with this.

Please know that whatever way you deal with this, it will be right for YOU.

I hope things will go well with whatever treatment option your Dr's go for and hope that you'll have minimal or better yet, NO side effects.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that you'll keep us posted on how things are going for you.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 10-05-2002, 09:13 PM
{{{Debbie}}}

I just wanted to give you a big hug when I read your post. Please know that we're here for ya sweetie and what the gals have said is soooo true. New treatments are being made available almost monthly now and with wonderful results. As far as the kids go, I know first hand about that one. My own two boys were 14 and 12 when I was diagnoised with leukemia this year and they both reacted in different ways. My oldest son wouldnt speak to me for over a week and my youngest cried for over a week. As the weeks went by we had problems at school and some of the things they did were so out of character for my boys. But ya know, as they saw me fight the BEAST they came around and were a huge comfort to me on days that I really needed them. So, sweetie, please hang in there and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as you continue your journey down the cancer road. And always remember, this road does have an end, and you CAN beat this "thing".
Sending love and hugs and always Angels..
Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register