Scheduled TLH Upcoming hysterectomy 10/26: Had Pre Op 10/18/17 Nervous and Anxious | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/26: Had Pre Op 10/18/17 Nervous and Anxious Upcoming hysterectomy 10/26: Had Pre Op 10/18/17 Nervous and Anxious

Unread 10-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/26: Had Pre Op 10/18/17 Nervous and Anxious

Hi Ladies,

Had my pre-op on Wednesday 10/18/17 and it went well. I was told I would have to go under general anesthesia and it’s possible they will leave tube in until I wake up more (which is scary). I have be pre treated with blood thinners because of my history of DVT and PE. I will also continue anticoagulant treatment for 6 week by self administered injections. My procedure is a total laparoscopic hysterectomy which possible abdominal because of being slightly overweight. They told me that my surgery wouldn’t be 58 minuets I saw on YouTube because that is only for the ideal candidate which I am clearly not. They told me to expect 2 hours at least however I will be in sleepy land so I won’t know the difference lol. I have been cleared from my cardiologist and pulmonary. I asked if I would be able to keep my ovaries and they said more then likely however I do have cyst on my left ovary which seem to be there for about 6 years. I may consider a surrogate to carry my eggs in the future but realistically it highly unlikely but love to have opens since I don’t have any children and still single and young. They said the doctor will possibly write me for abdominal binder the morning of surgery which is Thursday 10/26/17 at 7:30a. I put my pride aside and ask for something to help with my anxiety and fear and they gave me Valium 2mg. I took it once and it made me feel nauseous and gave me a headache. 5 hours after taking the med, I managed sleep well however still feel nauseous days after. I didn’t call to ask for a different med. I am still trying to figure out how to emotionally handle this process.

Thank you all in this group for helping me know I have an amazing support system of sisters .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMeanor View Post
Hi Ladies,

Had my pre-op on Wednesday 10/18/17 and it went well. I was told I would have to go under general anesthesia and it’s possible they will leave tube in until I wake up more (which is scary). I have be pre treated with blood thinners because of my history of DVT and PE. I will also continue anticoagulant treatment for 6 week by self administered injections. My procedure is a total laparoscopic hysterectomy which possible abdominal because of being slightly overweight. They told me that my surgery wouldn’t be 58 minuets I saw on YouTube because that is only for the ideal candidate which I am clearly not. They told me to expect 2 hours at least however I will be in sleepy land so I won’t know the difference lol. I have been cleared from my cardiologist and pulmonary. I asked if I would be able to keep my ovaries and they said more then likely however I do have cyst on my left ovary which seem to be there for about 6 years. I may consider a surrogate to carry my eggs in the future but realistically it highly unlikely but love to have opens since I don’t have any children and still single and young. They said the doctor will possibly write me for abdominal binder the morning of surgery which is Thursday 10/26/17 at 7:30a. I put my pride aside and ask for something to help with my anxiety and fear and they gave me Valium 2mg. I took it once and it made me feel nauseous and gave me a headache. 5 hours after taking the med, I managed sleep well however still feel nauseous days after. I didn’t call to ask for a different med. I am still trying to figure out how to emotionally handle this process.

Thank you all in this group for helping me know I have an amazing support system of sisters .
Hello!

I had mine on October 3rd and while each patient is different I can tell you I had plenty of anxiety before hand. However, once it was over, I was so relieved. The pain from the surgery was less than the pain I was experiencing before the surgery. I of course was a bit loopy when I woke up, but the recovery hasn’t been the worst. I’m almost 3 weeks out from mine. I would suggest staying on this forum and not going to YouTube and such as there is so much over information. This site and forums are very helpful to help answer questions. Good luck and I pray it goes smoothly for you!
Unread 10-22-2017, 09:18 PM

Tmachnic,
Thanks for the advice. I have been running myself ragged from watching YouTube and various Facebook hysterectomy related groups online. I am just ready to move to the recovery phase. I didn’t expect to go over the emotional issues I have experience since I am not emotional person. I often get frustrated with myself when I have these feelings. However, I have discussed this with my doctor and was given Valium 2mg to assist with the anxiety. Personally, I don’t think the drug is helpful at all but I’m taking it to help me sleep at night. I will try to post after the procedure depending on how I feel. Thank you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmachnic View Post
Hello!

I had mine on October 3rd and while each patient is different I can tell you I had plenty of anxiety before hand. However, once it was over, I was so relieved. The pain from the surgery was less than the pain I was experiencing before the surgery. I of course was a bit loopy when I woke up, but the recovery hasn’t been the worst. I’m almost 3 weeks out from mine. I would suggest staying on this forum and not going to YouTube and such as there is so much over information. This site and forums are very helpful to help answer questions. Good luck and I pray it goes smoothly for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 10/26: Had Pre Op 10/18/17 Nervous and Anxious

Hello! Being nervous is perfectly normal. Try focusing on cleaning your home, having easy meals on hand, set up payments for your bills, etc. so that it keeps you busy now and you don’t have to worry about these things during recovery. Also, when you check into the hospital, ask the anesthesiologist for something to calm your nerves. They will give you the good stuff which will relax you. Hang in there and best of luck!
Unread 10-22-2017, 11:35 PM

Aoeccles,
Thank you for the tips especially easy mead and calm meds from anesthesiologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeccles View Post
Hello! Being nervous is perfectly normal. Try focusing on cleaning your home, having easy meals on hand, set up payments for your bills, etc. so that it keeps you busy now and you don’t have to worry about these things during recovery. Also, when you check into the hospital, ask the anesthesiologist for something to calm your nerves. They will give you the good stuff which will relax you. Hang in there and best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register