Prepping for hysterectomy, laxatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prepping for hysterectomy, laxatives Prepping for hysterectomy, laxatives

Unread 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Prepping for hysterectomy, laxatives

I've finally got my pre-op next month with surgery to follow shortly after, I'm having a hysterectomy and bowel/bladder repair, I'm not too worried about the surgery however they have asked which way is best for me laxatives wise, I can have one I take over a number of days or one that clears it all in a few hours, they both sound equally as awful as each other but I'm unsure what to choose, anyone had the choice? If so what did you go for and do you regret it? Thanks, Stacey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Re: Prepping for surgery, laxatives

I didn't have to do bowel prep for my hysterectomy. However, a couple of years later I had a colonoscopy. My G-E doc had me drink this stuff called PicoSalax at 5 PM the day before. It was less than an hour before my body told me it was time to head for the toilet. I brought a book with me to read just in case, but I wasn't there all that long. It was like, whoosh! I had to take a second dose the next morning at 7 AM, but nothing came out that time except some clear oozy stuff. Almost everything had gone on the first go.

So if it were me, I'd go for the all-at-once method.
Unread 11-06-2017, 03:15 PM

i've had a few colonoscopies and also had to do a bowel prep for my hysterectomy. i personally would rather drink the stuff that works fast. laxatives make me have bad cramps and i wouldn't want to be going to the bathroom for a couple days. i had to drink something in the afternoon and within a short amount of time i was going to the bathroom and continued to until i went to bed. every time i drank something, i went. but there was no pain whatsoever and i didn't find it hard to do. good luck with your decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2017, 07:57 PM

Hi Staceys1990 -

I did a bowel prep for my hysterectomy the night before. I was told to take 10 oz magnesium citrate starting at 4 PM, with my last solid meal being a light lunch that day. The rest of the time I was on a clear liquid diet. For me, the mag citrate did not start working until about 8 PM.

I have also done a colonoscopy with Miralax in Gatorade after taking ducolox pills. This was way more intense and thorough... so to speak.

While not pleasant, neither regimen was as bad as I feared. The good news is that you have dibs on the bathroom. And, you should plan on being home when you start so you can have quick access to said bathroom.

Which direction you go is up to you as you know your system best. But, follow the directions they give you to the letter for which ever method you select.

Unread 11-07-2017, 11:37 PM
Re: Prepping for hysterectomy, laxatives

I had to do bowel prep the day before with go lytely. I would recommend the one day one, and I would suggest you get some soft bath tissue and some moist wipes, I got pretty sore but that was me... I was glad I had dooling wipes to use and I used a little external lube as per my surg. to help the discomfort.
Unread 11-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Re: Prepping for hysterectomy, laxatives

My experience pretty much mirrored Marestail. Both the prep before hysterectomy & prolapse repair, and how it compares to colonoscopy prep.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register