Scooch or not to scooch--that is the question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scooch or not to scooch--that is the question? Scooch or not to scooch--that is the question?

Unread 10-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Scooch or not to scooch--that is the question?

Hi, Girls!

Well, since my children have all gone to bed, I decided to follow-up up Karen's question of how to spell scooch. Well, as it turns out, there is apparently no such word--at least not in English . Now, where do you suppose this word came from? I looked under scooch, skooch, schooch, scootch, schootch, skewch, skewtch, and then I just kept on changing letters, and turned up nothing. So I tried the thesaurus--no help either. I looked under slide and shift, hoping that scooch might show up, but no such luck. I got all kinds of interesting words that I laughed about as I tried to picture myself performing those activities on that little exam bed with my feet up in the stirrups and paper stuck to my butt . The closest I came to scooch was "to change position". Now how boring is that? Maybe it's just a special word and is confined to gynecology dictionaries. I don't know. It's obviously foreign. So, I guess we can pick our own spelling, and even make up our own definition if we want.

It's a mystery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2002, 07:19 PM

s Jeanine

I am really surprised to hear that scooch wasn't in the dictionary. Not even Websters. I've used that word for a long time. When my kids were younger I would always say "scooch over."
At this point in time it's meaning for me is quite clear: My graceful attempt to very graciously slide down the exam table while holding the paper gown closed (which is always size small) while keeping the paper from sticking to my large butt. And I am never successful in this attempt. I kinda rock from side to side as I do this maneuver. You would think after doing this every three months for a period of time, we'd have this move perfected.
Does anybody have the scooch perfected?

karenann
Unread 10-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Well.........

Even though I don't have a gyn. cancer my pelvic nodes, the ones that were left, still get squeezed and poked and my dr. always says "slide down please, a little further, alittle more, ok, thats good" as she peels the paper table cover off my rear end. My Onc. uses the word "scooch" so it must be a medical word.. did ya check medical dictionaries Jeanine? LOL Now tell me, how come Maria gets the REAL sheets and we get paper, huh? I think it's about time we Americans protested the paper exam table covers!!
Anyway, ya know, the paper wouldn't stick to us if they didn't keep us waiting so long for that special part of the checkup. It's got to be the sitting there for 30 minutes, naked bottomed, that makes it stick.
Thats my 2 cents worth... I'm still trying to get it perfected though..

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2002, 10:01 AM

Oh, I've perfected it!!!! I can take down more paper when I scooch down the table than I did 34 years ago! I am a master paper scoocher.

When I had the uterine biopsy done, the gyn had a different set up. I don't know if it was a new setup or just used for biopsies (that seems like a waste of money). Anyway, I sat in a high backed chair which had a short seat and my feet were on little shelves - like on a wheelchair (ie: chair's back was higher than my head, my feet were supported and my buns reached the end of the seat). Just want to make sure you have that image in your head. Then the gyn pushed a button and the chair moved. When the chair stopped moving, I was flat on my back and the gyn had a good view. What a riot - but no scooching, no ripped paper. Now, try to get that image out of your head.

Laura
Unread 10-06-2002, 11:31 AM
To Susan on Scootching

Next time I go to the GYN (willh ave to this month after feeling better) I am going to take Shullet the Hippo with me and see how SHE does on scootching! Maybe if they had waxed paper we'd do better! What I like is when they say "You can sit up now"--sure. Um, my CT scan does show some natural erosion in the spine--arthritis and sitting up involved a whole other process that I'm sure is most undignified. I've used the word scootch for years--and I'll be 59 in December--don't know why it's not in the dictionary! I'd say it's like a slither, but then I'd think of snakes...
Unread 10-06-2002, 12:39 PM

You guys crack me up.

It took a lot of second-guessing for me to find this--

scootch is an American Midlands dialect variant of scoot. Scoot is a Scots word orginally from Norwegian--and has an older meaning of slide. So I'm guessing areas of the country that got settled by Scots are more likely to scootch than others.

But really, SLIDE does not describe the process at all. a word like scootch sounds more like SCRUNCH which is much more descriptive of what I do when I'm adjusting myself on that paper!

Laura, what a diabolical device!! When it started to tilt back I'd freak out.
Unread 10-06-2002, 02:54 PM

Come to think of it , I think my doctor does say scoot down.......I think its Karen that got me into saying scooch actually!

Susan, regarding the real sheets and gowns here, its only the Cancer Clinic that has them. Regular doctors offices do use the paper. Our clinic is so good to the patients, in addition to those little luxeries, they also have tea and coffee, and cookies and candy in the waiting area for the patients.
When we have to have blood work after our appts. we move right to the head of the line at the lab as well. I can recall many times when going for blood work after my appt. that the waiting room in the lab would be just packed, and I hand them my slip, and I am in and out within 10 minutes. They really are good to us. And ya know, I think all cancer patients do deserve a little bit of extra pampering!! I can't wait until I retire in 5 years, so I can volunteer there a couple days a week!

I do have one idea about the scooch problem though....they need the tables on a conveyor type mechanism.....so the table moves ahead, and the leaf drops ( like a table leaf)putting everything right where it needs to be!!
Unread 10-06-2002, 03:20 PM

Maria, I love the conveyor belt image. I know I feel that way sometimes. It's a great image - I plan to go to sleep laughing (my dreams are going to be weird).
Laura
Unread 10-07-2002, 02:08 PM

OK GUYS, I HAVE A VISUAL I CAN'T GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register