Are there any women out there OK without hormones? (NO Ovaries/NO HRT) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are there any women out there OK without hormones?  (NO Ovaries/NO HRT) Are there any women out there OK without hormones? (NO Ovaries/NO HRT)

Unread 11-13-2017, 08:47 AM
Are there any women out there OK without hormones? (NO Ovaries/NO HRT)

Hi,
My doctor wants me to get off estradiol & testosterone at 60,
but I'm not willing to try it unless I can find some women who say they did it and feel good!

Any input would be much appreciated...

June
Paradise, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2017, 09:32 PM
Re: Are there any women out there OK without hormones?

I had my hysterectomy and BSO last year (58 yrs old) and can’t take hormones. I’ve done extremely well for which I’m forever grateful. Having been on hormones, it may be different for you.
Unread 11-14-2017, 08:24 AM

I went off my hormones this year, after using them for 18+ years. It wasn't because my doctor made me though. I just got to thinking that I was using so little, I wondered how I would do without any. I have not had any symptoms at all. No hot flashes, no night sweats, no mood swings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Thanks for your reply Kim!

June
Unread 11-14-2017, 08:40 AM

Thanks for replying to my inquiry,
I'm still researching & deciding whether to keep
my appt with an expensive doctor who will prescribe
or to try to wean off

June
Unread 12-08-2017, 06:19 PM

I am 50 yrs old and just had the surgery on Sept 11th. Prior to the surgery, I had every symptom known to the world. After surgery, only 1 symptom so far. My body is still trying to regulate itself since everything was removed so my hair is taking the hit. I have had some hair loss but thank goodness not to the point of having any bald spots. I actually feel so wonderful no being free of the uterus and ovaries. I have never been on HRT so I do not know if that helps at all.

Wishing you many blessings!

Somer
Unread 12-08-2017, 11:46 PM

I'm 43 and had my ovaries removed 2 years ago. No hormone therapy for me and I'm fine. I do take a small dose of gabapentin at night to help my night sweats, but other than some vitamins I'm not on anything else. I do exercise regularly to promote bone health and it really helps me keep a positive outlook. I have a few mild hot flashes during the day. My sex drive is very decreased but I adore my husband so I continue to have sex for him. I can still have an orgasm. It took me about a year to feel this good, but I never felt horrible. I rarely think about my lack of ovaries anymore.
Unread 12-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Can’t take estrogen because of horrendous migraines with neurological symptoms. I am now on Effexor 75mg and Prometrium. Doing so much better. I think estrogen is not for everybody.
Unread 12-10-2017, 12:55 PM

I'm 46 and had an SAH/BSO on 11/8. I can't take HRT because I had breast cancer; I finished my radiation therapy only two weeks before my hyst.

My GYN gave me Effexor to manage hot flashes, and apparently, it's working. I haven't had a single hot flash. My mood is also much better than it was pre-surgery.

So, I'm doing extremely well without HRT!
Unread 12-10-2017, 06:04 PM

I'm 52 and am not currently taking hormones. I do occasionally have hot flashes/night sweats but nothing I can't tolerate. I do have issues with vaginal dryness and am treating it with vitamin e suppositories with some success. My last gyn appt. Dr is concerned about atrophy and suggested estrogen. When I said I wanted to treat it as natural as possible, she suggested DHEA suppositories. They mimic estrogen and have an amazing success rate treating vaginal dryness/atrophy. I just received my first order and plan to begin using them tonight. We'll see how it goes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register