6 days postop | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days postop 6 days postop

Unread 10-07-2002, 06:53 PM
6 days postop

I had a TAH 6 days ago. I am recovering at home and feeling pretty good! My incision is very sore, sitting up is not too comfortable. I have been a little constipated, so I ate ALOT of prunes...now things are flowing...more than I wanted! (LOL)
A couple of questions if someone can answer them...
1. When should I be out a walking? Is walking around the block too much?
2. I seem to pee alot at night. Is that normal?
3. Should I replace the steristripes if they come off in the shower?
4. Any hints...I'd love to take a long hot bath...is that ok?
5. Is it normal to have "menstrural" like cramps?

Sorry for the stupid questions...I am open to any pearls of wisdom.
Thanks,
Robo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2002, 07:22 PM
hi from a 10/2 princess

I can only tell you what i was told and what i've been through:

I can walk part of a block and back but am kinda shaky. Am doing short walks 2-4 times a day, very carefully. I am trying really hard to listen to my body and not push, so I would recommend little bitty walks, then longer if you feel ok an hour later. This is healing, not marathon training, they tell me.

I drink a lot, so I pee a lot, around the clock. My bladder still spasms sometimes, but it actually seems to hold more.

I was told showers but no baths, as baths can get bacteria into the incision. I couldn't possibly get lying down in the tub!

I don't have cramps except when I'm gassy. Otherwise, it's a steady pain. Worst pain was from being backed up, prunes had no effect, and Dulcolax, recommended by MD, worked rather too well.

I am astonished at how little I can do. Fortunately I'm asleep enough that I don't get too bored.
Unread 10-07-2002, 07:36 PM
6 days postop

HI Robo,

Welcome back from the Castle! Sounds like you are doing well with a lot of the same questions I had. Here are some answers to your questions:

You do need to walk and rest...at 6 days post I was walking my driveway. My doc said to take it slow, do what you feel you can, then rest. Some sisters are doing more at your point others are doing less. Do what YOUR body tells you.

The steri strips will come off themselves as you shower. Let them fall off by themselves. If one is starting to come off you can help it along, but dont pull the skin. My doc said no baths until 4 wks. I still havent taken a bath. But its been warm, I tend to love baths in the winter.

I dont really know about the peeing at night. I had a bladder repair along w/ the TAH so I did not have that sensation at all. If you had asked me that before my surgery, I would give you a different answer! I do remember my Urologist telling me that I could have the sensation of having to pee frequently at night, it just never happened. Please make sure you are drinking a lot of water and juices. No soda. (it causes gas) You are still very early in recovery, it takes a while for things to get back to normal. Your bladder may be over doing it now, I'm sure it will get back to whatever is normal for you before you know it.

And I did have the menstrual like cramps. I still do a little bit. I dont know if its normal. I think its just the healing process. Maybe someone else can answer better on this one.

I hope I helped some! Good luck to you. You can email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions. Just remember the princess rules walk a little , drink a lot , rest and then do it all over again!

CoryAnn

8.20.02 TAH/BSO w/ bladder repair due to large fibroids, enlarged uterus, endo, lots of adhesions and adenomyosis found during surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2002, 08:54 PM
6 days postop

Hi Robo

I didn't start really walking until I was 2 weeks post (although I did walk around the house alot) -- then I was walking a mile a day. I really noticed that it helped my energy level at that point.

My postop instructions said no baths --- it's not just the incision, but water getting into the vagina at this early stage can also cause infection. This is something you should check with your doctor about.

I was drinking a TON of water early on in my recovery --- so I was peeing a lot too!

What did your postop instructions say about the steri strips? I didn't have them because I am allergic to the adhesive, but I've read here that most doctors say to leave them on until they fall off and not to worry.

I didn't have many cramps, but if you have any concerns at all you should give your doctor a call.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register