Early Stage Cervical Cancer-looking for help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Early Stage Cervical Cancer-looking for help Early Stage Cervical Cancer-looking for help

Unread 10-09-2002, 09:45 PM
Early Stage Cervical Cancer-looking for help

I was just diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in situ and a small patch of stage 1a1 cancer. This is supposedly pretty early but the doctor has recommended a simple hysterectomy. My instinct is to avoid the surgery, but there is not much information about people who have used only a cone biopsy to treat this. I don't want children so that is not the issue, I am not ready for the goodbye to my uterus party yet. Anyone have simliar experience or can point me to some good links?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2002, 11:19 AM

s Claudia

Welcome to Cancer Concerns. There are many ladies here that have been diagnosed with cervical cancer. I'm sure they will be along to answer any specific questions you might have.
My own cancer was ovarian, so I'm not much help for you.
I would suggest that you seek a second opinion in regards to the treatment plan. A gyn oncologist would be the expert I'd seek for that opinion.
Best wishes to you.

karenann
Unread 10-10-2002, 02:03 PM

Hi Claudia, not sure what to say here. I had stage 1a microinvasive cervical/vaginal cancer. It sure is scary when you first hear that rotten word 'cancer' its like you just go into survival mode.

The final decision on what to do is up to you..it is a hard decision to make but I for one am not sorry that I had the hysterectomy.

After my hyster, cells were still present in the cuff and also on the vaginal wall so my oncologist decided to treat me with radiation.

I dont visit here much but I am willing to help you in anyway I can.It is good to have someone who has a similar condition to 'hold your hand' as you face these decisions and procedures

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. love and hugs always XXX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2002, 02:39 PM

Hi,

I had Stage 1A cervical adenocarcinoma almost a year ago. I have 2 children but really wanted a 3rd. I got several medical opinions and thoroughly reasearched the topic. In the end, I had a TVH. This was the recommendation of my doctors. There were 2 other factors that convinced me as well. I read an article that said with Adenocarcinoma there is a 20% chance of a false negative when it comes to clear margins with cone biopsies. In other words there is a 20% chance that the pathology report will be wrong if it says clean margins. The other factor that convinced me was with adeno there usually are reoccurances even if you do get it all.

If fertility is not an issue, consider the hysterectomy. The surgery itself was not bad. I know that this is all scary and you have a difficult decision to make. Please remember though that at this early stage the cancer is 99% curable with the hysterectomy.
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:29 PM

Hi, Claudia!

Welcome to Cancer Concerns . I'm sorry that you've been diagnosed with cancer, but how wonderful that it was found very early.

I have read some research that says a cone can be sufficient for very early stage cervical cancer, but I don't know how long they've been doing it, so long-term outcomes from that type of treatment may be preliminary. I don't really know how to guide you through that decision-making process.

When my doctor told me that a hysterectomy was my best option for treatment, I really struggled. I also was not ready to give up my uterus. I already had children, I wasn't necessarily planning any more, but always liked the idea that the unexpected could happen, so it was with great difficulty and many tears that I went forward with the surgery. I was 37. I was able to keep my ovaries so I still have the normal cycling of hormones, just no monthly bleeding. I pretty much feel like my regular self again but it was long in coming. Probably 15 months passed before I truly felt like I always had before my surgery.

The one thing I would like to comment on is that adenocarcinoma is frequently difficult to detect. Since it grows way up inside the cervix, it is difficult to get a sampling of cells from those areas during the regular PAP. Unfortunately, for many women, bad cells are growing in there for a long time before they are caught and the cancer can be advanced before it is detected. I'm sure that if you decide not to have the surgery that your doc will be extra careful and do an endocervical on a regular basis, but you will need to be monitored carefully.

Have you been for a second opinion? I don't know if your doctor is a gynecologic oncologist, but if not, I highly recommend that you go see one. They are the experts in female cancers, and really know the most current techniques in surgery and treatment.

Good luck, Claudia! Please come back and let us know how you are doing and what you have decided.

Unread 10-12-2002, 08:06 AM

Hi Claudia!

I'm so sorry you're having to make this decision, it IS a hard decision to make.

I can't add anything to what the rest of the gals have suggested, but wanted to send you warm thoughts and prayers that everything turns out okay for you.

Keep us posted on how things go for you when you decide.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 10-13-2002, 06:44 PM

Hi Claudia!
It can be scary and sometimes we can feel rushed when we hear the word cancer. As others have recommended, 2nd opinions can help by providing more info to help you make your decision. If you choose to seek a gynecologic oncologist, you might have to wait a bit for an appt. I had to wait 6 long weeks - but was glad I did.
I chose to have a TVH after carefully weighing my options. Fertility was not an issue for me. Sending a big your way!
Unread 10-16-2002, 07:49 AM

You have already gotten some excellent responses here. I just wanted to say that I'm glad you found our little corner and to visit anytime!

I also wasn't ready to give up my uterus ( I had always hoped for a happy surprise - we have 3 kids, but I'd love to have had more), and the cancer was quite a shock. Unlike you though, I had no options -- a radical hysterectomy was the way to go. I still miss my "girl parts", BUT I would not have done anything differently. I really needed the reassurance that those cancer cells were OUT of my body and I would have happily gone in for the surgery on the same day I was diagnosed if I could have!

I wanted to second the post that recommended an GYN/ONC if you're not already seeing one. They see so many cases of female cancers and would know the best treatment for you and the most recent research on recurrance rates with each treatment.

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going!

Joanie
Unread 10-16-2002, 12:00 PM

Hi, Claudia.

I recieved the same diagnosis as you 2 1/2 years ago. But at the time, I just had a cone biopsy. It came back with a negative margin, and so I didn't worry about it. My GYN/Oncologist had said that we'd probably do a simple hyst even if the margins were clean, but he had second thoughts since I was "only 30." He didn't take into account, I guess, that I've had my family, and it is VERY complete.

Anyway, I also have endometriosis, and at my annual this year, my regular GYN said that we should consider the hyst. At that time he told me about that 20% false negative margin thing. He consulted with several collegues, and they all felt that it was the best tx option.

I had a LAVH/BSO on 9/9. I went for my post-op today. My path report showed High Grade CIN II. So it looks like we did the right thing at the right time.

And I am LOVING not having a period.

Good luck with your choice. And if you need to ask me anything or just want to talk about it, you can email me at [email protected].

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register