hi have to have an ultrasound the 15th- | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hi have to have an ultrasound the 15th- hi have to have an ultrasound the 15th-

Unread 10-10-2002, 03:45 AM
hi have to have an ultrasound the 15th-

Iwent to see the GYN for my enlarged uterus. he said something about it's was enlarged 10 weeks.? also had previous cryo and laser surgeries and he couldn't find my cervix to pap it.
he papped something.. cause it hurt!
any way he said the ultrasound would confirm fibroids.
I'm a little scared. He can't confirm without.
Thanks gals!

Hugs,
Rainee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2002, 06:27 AM
Ultrasound

Hi there,

I have had several transvaginal ultrasounds, one to confirm a fibroid and the other to measure it several years later. The procedure was not uncomfortable. The vaginal probe is lubricated and you often can watch the image on the tv screen. It only took about 10 minutes. They will look at your ovaries too while they are 'in there'...they will press on your stomach to help get the probe and the ovaries aligned so they can see them. Sometimes they do an external ultrasound that requires a full bladder ...I have heard this might be a bit uncomfortable only because you feel like you need to pee. At any rate, please don't be alarmed...it's not bad...be sure to let them know about your anxiety and to be extra gentle.

Best of luck,

Debra
Unread 10-10-2002, 01:47 PM

Hi-
Back in July I had an ultrasound both on my abdomen and internally. The doctor ordered it to confirm her suscpicion on fibroid(s). There is no discomfort at all. I had to drink a couple glasses of water prior, without going to bathroom. The technician then did the abdomen part of the ultrasound. Then I was asked to go to bathroom and empty bladder and then I had the internal part done. I was covered very discreetly in all this, due to being nude underneath (but I got to keep my bra on). My husband was in the room with me. The technician lowered the lights to see the monitor better and proceeded to do her job. She measured my ovaries, uterus, the fibroid, and some other parts. I tried to weasil information out of the technician as to whether there was a fibroid or not, but she would refuse to tell me. She said that there is a law against it, or something. However, I do hear that sometimes technicians will tell. I don't know. It took about 3 days for the results and it was hard to wait to find out. My family doctor has an imaging center run by the local hospital within the family practice. I felt very comfortable. You will be fine. I know it's scary, but you'll get through it. I did have a fibroid, and thankful that my doctor ordered the test. If you have a husband or SO or someone to come with you (not that they have to be in the exam room with you) but someone to support you, it helps. Take care. esa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2002, 04:05 PM

Oh I agree with the others. Nothing to this test. Of all the tests, this one is pretty neat. Have to drink alot of water...and for an ole'lady it is a challenge not to pee!!! But it does not hurt, it does not take long, and it is interesting.

I've had three, each time it is done externally and then internally. The wand is spooky but actually you feel nothing. This time alot of the conductor ointment got on my clothes...washed out no problem.

Make sure you get a copy of the test results sent to you. Ask to sign a release while there or type out a release for medical records to your gyn...get a copy of every test you have done.

Come back and let us know what you think of ultrsounds. Mine have also been referred to as sonograms.
Unread 10-11-2002, 02:02 PM

Hi Rainee

The gals have provided great information about ultrasounds. I had several and they were just as described above.

You mention that your uterus is 10 weeks size. Gyns measure your uterus in terms of pregnancy (amazing, I know), so when they say your uterus is 10 weeks size that means it's about the size of a uterus of a 10 weeks pregnant woman. You'll see posts here from ladies who are 12 weeks, 16 weeks, etc. This is the common lingo among ladies who have fibroids.

The size of a uterus with fibroids often will determine what approach the gyn decides to use if you decide to have a hyst. A 10 week uterus often can still be removed with a vaginal approach, but when a uterus gets larger many gyns prefer the abdominal or laparoscopic approach. Hope this helps clarify the "10 week" size you were given. Hang in there. Keep reading and posting and we'll share our own experiences to help you understand what you are dealing with.

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register