Side Effects | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-10-2002, 05:52 AM
Side Effects

Good Morning:
I just found this site yesterday, and I have found some great messages.
I jsut had surgery, vaginal hysterectomy in February. Prior to that I was on HRT for approx 1 year. They took everything in the surgery and after the surgery I only went back on Estrogel. It is a clear gel that I use in the morning. This past summer I started to getting severe itching on my arms and now I have noticed that I have lots of "dark" hair on my arms. I don't know if this is the gel, the lack of ovaries. My doctor sent me for blood test to check my male hormones, but they seemed to be ok. She doen's know what it is. Has anyone of you ladies experienced the same thing.

I don't think I will ever be able to wear short sleeves again!

Help from Canada

Janec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2002, 10:54 AM
Side Effects

Hi Janec Estrogel is a topical mixture of phytoestrogens (plant estrogen) including black cohosh (which is the main ingredient in Remifemin). It's helpful in dealing with hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms, but it doesn't replace the body's natural estrogens. It does sound like it's possible that you're becoming testosterone dominant, and that's why the increase in body hair.

Do you know if the blood test they did for your male hormones included a test of Free Testosterone? If not, you might want to get that checked. Even if it comes back normal, though, you can have a normal testosterone level and still be testosterone dominant if you are deficient in estrogen.

Also, did they check your estrogen levels? That might be really telling. Is there a reason you're not replacing the estrogens at this point? It's possible that the addition of some bio-identical estradiol, even a very low dose, might be enough to shift the balance so that you're no longer testosterone dominant and don't have the unpleasant symptoms you're having now. They now make a very low dose Vivelle dot, 0.025mg, which might be worth a try. Many DRs have samples you can try to see if it will help you.

I hope you're able to find out where the problem is soon, and wear short sleeves again next summer!
s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register