Started the Duragesic and Gabatril | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Started the Duragesic and Gabatril Started the Duragesic and Gabatril

Unread 10-10-2002, 06:16 AM
Started the Duragesic and Gabatril

friends,
Well after many phone calls I finally got in touch with the NP at the pain clinic and have started the Gabatril. I also asked for something stronger for the pain. Ever since I had the steroid shot several weeks ago the pain has been totally unbearable. I could barely walk. My incision is once again bothering me and the pelvic pain has decided to rear it's ugly head. :cry:

We had a nice chat about all my tummy and bowel troubles so she suggested the Duragesic patch. She was much impressed that I had already heard about it.

I'm feeling a bit weird today, lots of nausea, which I've had for quite some time now so I'm not sure if it's the patch, the Gabatril or just my normal stuff. My fingers and legs feel kind of tingly. Good news is that I can walk today, pain is still there, but I have seen some improvement.

I think what I'm going to do though is to take the patch off on Saturday and not replace it for a few days as how am I going to know if the Gabatril is helping????? This Road sure isn't an easy place to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2002, 06:26 AM

Kim,
I am so happy you are feeling better, I wish I could give you a 'real' hug The meds in the patch need to build up in your system for good relief. If I could go back to the patch I would in a heartbeat! Please read the insert in the package( also visit www.Jaansen.com, it really needs to be worn 24/7 and be forewarned, the nausea hit me hard. I would ask for something to help with it until your body adjusts to the new medicine. What is Gabitril? You so deserve this relief my friend.....((hugs))

PS-I had the worst trouble with keeping it stuck, if you call 1-800-jaansen they can give you a clear super-sticky cover to keep it on, and best of all it's free......
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:31 AM

Sheri,
Gabatril is a nerve med, a cousin to Neurontin. I know that the pain meds need to build up but I'm concerned that I won't know if the Gabatril is helping??? Is it the pain meds or the Gabatril or both that are helping???

Thanks for the tip on keeping it stuck. I messed up the first patch as I didn't like where I put it and ended up having to throw it away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2002, 06:37 AM

((Kim)),
I lost a lot of patches not funny at the time tho....I found the best place for me was on my upper arms(covered by my sleeves of course) as placing them on my upper back or chest would cause my skin to break out Maybe you could discuss your concern about knowing which is helping with your NP? I just want relief for you as I know you do too! Please let us know how your doing with them......Good Luck
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:39 AM

Sheri,
Good I think I will call the NP today. The relief feels great, but the nausea is getting pretty bad as are the dizzies. My head is really start to spin.
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:48 AM

((Kim)),
Please do call. I had to carry a paper bag in the car the 1st few weeks.....yuck I know, before I finally called and asked for something to help with the nausea. Since you have to work, I would stay away from Phenegran durng the day as it is known to cause extreme drowziness Zophran(sp) is good w/o causing the sleepiness....((hug))
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the tip Sheri. I just talked to the NP and she suggested Phengran first and I asked if she could call in something else as I heard it could make you So she's calling in the Zophran. What would I do without my sisters?

She did say I had a good point about knowing which med was working. She thought it would be okay to take the patch off on Saturday and see what the Gabatril is going to do for me.

I guess I will enjoy the bit of relief while I have it.
Unread 10-10-2002, 08:13 AM

I'm so glad she is calling you something in Enjoy your relief my friend! Please let us know what you find out with your Experiment on Sat....((((hugs))))
Unread 10-10-2002, 08:39 AM

Yay Kim !!!

I'm SOOOO glad that you have found some relief - & it hasnt even built up in your system yet. Did they start you on the 25 mg. ? I'm assuming they did. I am on the 50 mg. & my pain has been a little worse the last week or so. I need to go up to the 75 mg. it looks like but at this point I dont know if I will be staying on the patch or not.
I also take phenargan for the nausea although it does make me tired some times. And I also have found that my upper arm is the best place for it. The only thing I dont like about it on my arm is when I go swimming its a little noticeable (the higher dosage patches are bigger).
I'm so glad that you are finding some relief - its great to hear good news !!
Keep us updated on how its going for you.

Susan
Unread 10-10-2002, 08:50 AM

Susan,
She started me on the 25mg as she was afraid that anything higher would be way too strong for me. I'm glad too as I'd probably really be zapped with anything stronger.

I'm feeling pretty shakey right now and I am starting to feel some twinges, however it is not near as bad as it's been.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register