Duragesic update | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Duragesic update Duragesic update

Unread 10-10-2002, 08:57 AM
Duragesic update

Hi ladies !!

As most of you know I am having problems getting my Ins. Co. to pay for my Duragesic. I called the Ins. Co. & got nowhere. I finally was able to contact my DH's HR person at his work today. I am waiting for her to call back right now.
I explained to her the whole situation & she said she will try, but of course cant guarantee anything. One of the problems is that they WILL pay for the Duragesic, IF I try oxy or MS Contin 1st. But my pain management dr. doesnt prescribe those meds. I explained to her that I really like this dr. & dont want to change drs. just because of this - the whole thing is ridiculous. She said she had to call her supervisor & see what she wants to do here. She said maybe we will set up a conference call with my Ins. Co. So cross your fingers for me girls !! I'll let you know what happens after she calls.

's

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2002, 10:27 AM
Duragesic update

I just recieved a phone call from the HR person. She said the best thing for me to do would be to have my dr. write a letter saying that I tried oxy or MS Contin. And list "side effects" that I had Sounds ok to me but I dont know if my dr. will go for it or not, guess we will see. I have an app. with him on the 21st. -at that point I will have no more patches.
So thats my update for now - the saga continues......................

's

Susan
Unread 10-10-2002, 10:44 AM
Duragesic update

Susan
I'm sorry that you're having so many problems getting thru the red tape of your insurance company. Could you call the and explain the situation and see what he suggests? If you're going to be out of your meds I don't think you should wait until the 21st.

It's a shame that you've found something that is helping you and now the insurance company won't pay for the prescription.

Any chance of perhaps getting another coupon?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2002, 11:46 AM
Duragesic update

Kim:

I havent had any problems getting the free coupons from my dr. so far, so I'm sure he'll probly give me another one. Dont know why I didnt think of that - probly the
No matter what, he isnt going to leave me without SOMETHING for the pain, so I'm not too worried about that. I wonder if I were to go off the Duragesic - even with having another type pain med to take - if I will go thru withdrawal ? As it is, I take Lortab for breakthru pain.
I'm thinking of calling the dr. & letting them know whats going on. They already know that Jannsen wont let me into the assistance program.
I'm sure there is probly something else out there that would work for my pain. Its just the thought of having to go thru the process all over again of adjusting to a new med
Well, gotta go, I need to go to my DD's teacher conference & then its off to work.

(((((((hugs))))))))

Susan
Unread 10-10-2002, 11:57 AM
Duragesic update

((Susan)),
I hope they are able to work something out for you((hug)) Please be careful with withdrawal Lortab is no where near the strength of the patch. When I switched from the 100 mcg patch to the Oxy, I wound up in a whole nother world of hurt until my body adjusted....I'm praying that you wont have to go thru this my friend. Good Luck and please keep us posted......(((hug)))
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Susan,

Wow, this is unbelievable!
The only problem I see with asking your dr to say that you have already tried the oxy is that if you had your insurance would have record of having filled it for you. This is going to be hard to get around. Unless your coverage is fairly new, just since you've been seeing this dr.The only thing I know to suggest........

and this is true.... A friend of mine was tried on a couple of different medications, I think first they tried her on Lortab or something like that? They didnt work and in order for her dr to prescribe her something else, she was required to return the lortab back to her dr's office which he subsequently destroyed, He then tried her on, (I can't remember what they are called, but some heroin addicts take it, it is also used for pain) anyway....it didnt work either so (she returned it to him) then he switched her to duragesic, therefore her insurance didnt balk at the patch because she had tried so many other things. What I am trying to get to...maybe you and your dr could come to an agreement that he prescribes the oxy and it doesnt work......you return the unused script to his office and then YOU HAVE TRIED OXY! I don't know how good your insurance coverage is but the most I can pay for ANY script is $25.00, it would be worth the $25.00 to be done with this hassle.

And yes, I realize that this sounds dishonest but not anymore so than trying to say you have already tried it when you haven't. It might be easier to talk your dr into this since this would be less dishonest than actually having him write a letter with false information. This way his butt would be covered and it couldn't come back on him. Insurance companies use these kinds of loopholes so they don't have to pay money out of their pocket, if you ask me THAT"S dishonest. We don't tell them we will pay for our insurance ONLY if we can't find a loophole to get out of it.

And maybe during the time that you are "trying" the oxy, your dr can give you another free coupon for the patch so that some time will have elapsed. I know how these insurance companies work and if they havent given in at this point, they probably won't .

Good luck, I hope you are able to get this straightened out soon. It seems so backwards! If they are worried about drug abuse...you sertainly cant inject a patch into your veins and that's what they do with oxy. Weird.

Any way....BIG 's

Dawn
Unread 10-11-2002, 06:47 AM
Duragesic update

Dawn,
Its probably Methadone you are referring too. It is used to detox Heroine Addicts but it is also supposed to give excellent pain control for Chronic Pain Sufferers. It is also very cheap maybe a possiblty for you Susan?? Any word yet?
(((hugs)))
Unread 10-11-2002, 10:20 AM
I'm hoping for you!

Susan, I truly hope that between you and the Dr. and ins. co. that they can come up with a solution! It would be unfair especially since this is working for you to have it taken away! Please let us know what's happening! My goes out to you. Sending you a big to get through this...Love, Tickles

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register