Night sweats | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Night sweats

Hi! I'm 8 days past TVH and the last couple of nights have woken up really sweaty. I see it mentioned in many of the posts but not really addressed. I remember a similar experience after delivering my first child.

Is it hormone related? Or just surgery shock? I still have my ovaries and the surgery was so recently that it seems it shouldn't be my body going into menopause or something; does it?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Sue
TVH because of fibroids and very heavy bleeding -- iron count very low 7.7 after transfusions and surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Night sweats

Hi Sue! I'm impressed that you can remember anything about the period right after the birth of your first child... usually the hormonal is so thick we don't remember much at all about those early days.

You're still very early post op, so there is some possibility there are still effects of residual anesthesia and pain meds in your system, but it's a good bet the night sweats you're experiencing ARE hormonal. They're a symptom of low estrogen, and may be an indication that your ovaries are not functioning.

It's common for sisters who keep their ovaries to find that their ovaries go into "shock" after surgery and stop working. Symptoms of surgical menopause can begin as early as right in the recovery room, or sometimes it can take a while for them to appear; this depends at least in part on how much stored estrogen the woman has. It can take quite a while for them to "wake up" again, so in the meantime many ladies choose to use some type of temporary HRT to get through those rough times.

Please call your DR tomorrow and let him/her know that this is happening to you. There's no reason you should have to have this amount of discomfort, and in fact it can interfere with your recovery if the night sweats are causing you not to get enough rest.

I'd also urge you to come on over to the Hormone Jungle forum on this site, or go to www.hormonejungle.com and browse through the pull down articles there. Another good place to get information on all the available HRT options out there is at the

Survivor's Guide to Surgical Menopause

I hope you get some relief for your symptoms soon. See you over in the Jungle!

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-13-2002, 06:41 PM
Night sweats

I had surgery mid August - tah - I still have my ovaries. I know for my own experience, I suffered with hot flashes and night sweats for about 5 or 6 weeks after the surgery.
I spoke to Dr. at my six week check up - she checked my hormone levels - not too bad, a little wacky. For me, the discomfort wasnt enough to warrant hormone replacement therapy. I knew it was more than likely a temporary state and I just muddled through it. Of course, you should consult your doctor and replacement therapy is a personal choice. Just wanted to let you know it was more than likely temporary, just your ovaries taking a little siesta on you, and that it should pass. I am just coming up on 8 weeks now, and havent had a problem for a few days now.
Hope your feeling better and remember to rest, take care of your self, lots o' water and walkin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2002, 06:49 PM
night sweats

I am 13 days post-op and too have night sweats. Like the last post I don't think it's interferring with my sleep as I sleep during the day also. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register