Hospital Stay With Tah & Bso | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stay With Tah & Bso Hospital Stay With Tah & Bso

Unread 10-13-2002, 05:43 PM
Hospital Stay With Tah & Bso

My surgery is scheduled on the 29th at 3pm. My doc says I will go home on the 31st. Does this sound right? She says insurance only authorizes 2 nights with a TAH. Yhoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2002, 05:52 PM
hospital stay

I had a TAH/BSO on Sept. 18 and stayed three nights...we never talked about what my insurance authorized. I think most of us who have this stay 3 to 4 nights for the most part, since you do have an abdominal incision. However, you may feel good enough to go home after two. If not, the doctor should be able to justify to your insurance company your need to stay an extra night, I would think.
Unread 10-13-2002, 05:54 PM
2 Nights or Not

Greetings Sister,

Sounds like we have the same insurance company.

My advice to you would be to contact your insurance company yourself and talk to whomever is handling your claim. They will tell you what you need to do if you feel that you need to stay longer. Maybe they will say to have the nurse or call or maybe they will tell you that you have longer than the doctor says.

In any case, you are the one who makes the final choice. 2 days is supposed to be enough with that kind of surgery, but you may need or require longer.

Remember my opinions are my own. I am not a doctor nor pretend to be one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2002, 06:04 PM
Hospital Stay

I had a TAH/BSO on 9/24 - my doctor told me my insurance company authorized a 3 night stay and that worked out perfectly for me. I agree- contact your insurance company prior to going in.
Unread 10-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Me, too

When speaking with my dr, they said the ins co authorized a 2 night stay. That made me a bit concerned, so I spoke with the ins company. They said that if I need more time, that they'll grant it. The hospital is very versed in calling the ins company asap when they find that the stay will be longer - they should take care of it all for you. However, you may want to speak with your ins carrier, your admissions person at the hospital (during pre op) and the dr to make sure you have covered all your bases. Don't worry - they won't kick you out before you are ready. They really want you to be well enough to take care of yourself before you leave. Most everyone I have talked to stays 3-4 days with TAH. I had 2 c-sections, and each one was 4-5 days each. I think you'll feel more comfortable once you have called everyone to discuss the "what-if's". It'll all be ok!!
Unread 10-13-2002, 06:07 PM

Hi sfifer

Your surgery is exactly 11 months after my TAH/BSO

My surgery was at 2 PM on Thursday and I went home at noon on Saturday ... only 2 nights there. I really wanted to go home too because I knew I would rest better at home. When my doc saw me on Friday (24 hours after surgery) he said I could probably go home that day if I wanted to !! Of course I still had my catheter at that point and told him Saturday would be just fine, thank you.

Everyone is different ... but it is possible to go home after only 2 nights. I got much more attention at home from DH ... was truly a pampered princess.

Call your insurance company to verify their policies and find out if they will pay for extra day(s) if ordered by your gyn. Best of luck!

Beth
Unread 10-13-2002, 06:31 PM
Same surgery- same day!!!

My surgery is the same day as yours! I am also having a TAH/
BSO. I am having bladder and hernia repair too. My doctor said 3-5 days. He said that he will try to get me out as soon as possible because he finds his patients rest better at home and that there are hopefully less germs there. He also thinks that you'll get up and move around a little more at home. I'm sure that they will make adjustments during your stay if they need too. This is my 11th surgery and they always just adjusted the time frame depending on how I was doing and based on my doctor's orders. I wish you the very best!!!
Unread 10-14-2002, 03:18 AM

I also only spent 2 nights in the hospital. And that was all my insurance company authorized. My surgery was at 2PM on Tuesday and I was home by 5PM on Thursday. If there is a medical reason why you aren't ready to go home in most cases they can easily request extra time. The insurance companies can't force your DR to send you home if medically you're not ready to go.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register