Upcoming hysterectomy 2/26: Op cancelled twice. Now I can't mentally prepare | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/26: Op cancelled twice.  Now I can't mentally prepare Upcoming hysterectomy 2/26: Op cancelled twice. Now I can't mentally prepare

Unread 02-13-2018, 02:41 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/26: Op cancelled twice. Now I can't mentally prepare

I was supposed to be having a TAH on 13th December 2017. This involved A LOT of planning and preparation because I have 2 children and didn't want Christmas to be ruined for them. Got to the hospital, went through all the pre-op stages, signed consents, changed into gown and sat and waited. After almost 6 hours I was cancelled and sent home.

19th January 2018 was my rescheduled date. Once again, a certain amount of planning was involved with the children. Once again I went through everything pre-op, changed and waited, and got cancelled and sent home. They only had me waiting 4 hours that time though

I'm now in the very fortunate position of being able to have the operation privately (via insurance). My scheduled date is 26th Feb. The only reason for cancellation would be if the surgeon is unwell. So it's pretty guaranteed to be going ahead. But I can't get my head around it. I'm in complete denial and have done no mental preparation. I think having geared myself up twice already, my brain is just refusing to accept it's going to happen. As a family we've been on the cusp of me having this major operation for 3 months and it's become so "ordinary" that when we do talk about it, it's like I'm just popping out to the shops for a bit.

How do I get my head back in "the zone"? I'm really worried that I'm (we) are going to be in for a huge shock when I come round because none of us are ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2018, 07:18 AM
Re: Op cancelled twice. Now I can't mentally prepare

By now you've probably done all the logistical preparations you can do (cleaning, shopping, etc) and your family has all the information that they need. Perhaps your mind recognizes this?
Unread 02-13-2018, 08:21 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/26: Op cancelled twice. Now I can't mentally prepare

Hi Hoshi -

It is understandable how you do not want to prepare.... yet again. And, as SurprisedInNB states, your mind and family have gone through much of the mental preparation...

But, there are probably still some things that need to get done, since most of the cancelled surgeries were a few weeks ago. Maybe you can start by making a list of things that need to be done. Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. What I found most useful were the following:
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

The 26th will be here before you know it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2018, 01:17 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/26: Op cancelled twice. Now I can't mentally prepare

Thank you both. I had a bit of a cry to hubby last night, so I think the feeling are all still in there, I've just stamped them down because I could keep going with them all at the surface for so long.

We are fairly prepared, he will be working from home for the majority of my recover period so will be doing the cooking. Hair appointment is booked! we have loads of little cushions on our sofa and I have a stockpile of pillows in our bedroom.

Funnily enough I think I'm just about to get a period, I can feel the pain starting to build. So I'm hoping this will just reinforce for me, what is about to happen, and why!
Unread 02-14-2018, 04:45 AM

Hummm, having hubby home for most of my recovery would have drove me nuts lol. I like my quiet time in the days but I don't have 2 kids that need taking care of.

Fortunately my surgery went ahead as scheduled, having it cancelled would have not been nice once I had myself mentally ready to do it. Waking up with it all over and done is such a relief. You will be fine with whatever preparations you do or don't do, things have a way of working themselves out.
Unread 02-14-2018, 07:38 PM

Hi Hoshi -

It is okay to about this. I several times before my surgery and many more times after.

Having your DH there for most of your recovery will be nice

Your body is reminding you that this is the right thing to do. Here are 4 Thoughts about Your Last Period before Hysterectomy

Unread 02-14-2018, 09:50 PM

I had one like that. I was 30 minutes from the scheduled time to start the surgery and the anesthesiologist canceled because he didn't like my thyroid numbers.

I was happy (thrilled, actually) to leave. The next time things went a bit better. My hubby swears that I was simply not supposed to have that surgery at that time.

Maybe you are not planning because there isn't anything left to plan.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register