Pathology report confuses me -- Please Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pathology report confuses me -- Please Help! Pathology report confuses me -- Please Help!

Unread 07-25-2000, 07:33 PM
Pathology report confuses me -- Please Help!

My pathology report is confusing me. Shortly after my hysterectomy, my doctor told me that I had uterine cancer (Stage Ia) and ovarian cancer (Stage Ic). The hysterectomy took care of the uterine cancer (cured I was told), but I had to meet with a gynecological oncologist to discuss the diagnosis. I was going to be undergoing chemo, but then I had a news flash. I went in to see the doctor to find out when the chemo would start, the preparatory tests, etc. He told me I don't need chemo because I don't have cancer. There were two more pathology departments reviewing my case and they both said no cancer -- BUT the report I received from my doctor showed "Mullerian Mucinous Tumor of Low Malignant Potential." This was the diagnosis for both ovaries. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THIS MEANS. Nowhere on the report does it say benign, which I thought meant no cancer???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2000, 07:49 PM

I'm sorry, Linda, I can't help with the translation of the medical terms on your pathology report. I'm still looking, though, and I hope I come up with something. I'm trying to see if maybe some of the other hostesses might know something about what it means.
Unread 07-26-2000, 12:32 AM

Hi Linda,
Sorry for the worry and frustration you must be going through. I can't work out your path report either but am including a link here that has definitions of those common terms used in them - maybe it can help?
http://www.graylab.ac.uk/omd/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2000, 04:32 PM

Hi Linda,
I know this must be so confusing and terrifying for you. I work in a pahology lab and try as they might to diagnose everything themselves, the drs sometimes have to send unusual cases out for consultation. The results don't always agree as you have found out. Mixed Mullerian tumors are difficult because of the 'mixed' part. The definition at the link Lily sent should explain that better than I can. The encouraging thing is the "low malignant potential." Even if there were cancer cells they were of the nature of low grade spread. Where were the slides sent? Please be sure that you are comfortable with the facilities that reviewed your slides. You may ask to have them sent elsewhere. Discuss this with the gynoncologist. If he can assure you that he is comfortable with the diagnosis from the consulting pathologists, maybe you will feel better about it yourself. MM tumors are often found in the uterus AND ovaries. Could be that you had one type of cells in both places, not uterine and ovarian cancer. Please ask all the questions you need and seek another opinion if you don't feel comfortable about this one.
Take care and lat us know how you do.
Kathy
Unread 07-31-2000, 10:02 PM

Linda, what Kathy wrote makes a lot of sense. It sounds like the potential was there and it is good if they took it all out. Chemo is needed if all of it is removed. I would suspect they did some other test? will be important to check annually or sooner to be sure as whatever the Drs say. Take care, and good luck in your research. Do ask the Drs the questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register