To Keep Ovaries or To Not Keep Ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To Keep Ovaries or To Not Keep Ovaries To Keep Ovaries or To Not Keep Ovaries

Unread 10-18-2002, 04:42 PM
To Keep Ovaries or To Not Keep Ovaries

I've made reservations to the Castle for December 16. I've stopped taking the pill and in less than a week am back to having hot flashes, mood swings. Is this an indication that my ovaries aren't producing diddly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2002, 05:34 PM

You did not mention you're age, but depending on the pill you were on is it not possible that you are just going through a hormone adjustment (with pill to without)?

If you want to , tell us a little more about yourself and maybe we can point you in the right direction for more info....

In the meantime, here's a
Unread 10-18-2002, 06:11 PM

I looked at your profile and I think you could be in perimenopause. Your ovaries still produce *some* hormones post meno for years. You will have to weigh the pro's and con's of keeping them vs not keeping them and make an informed decision.

I opted to lose the good one also, because I have a family history for blood clots and didn't want to risk another surgery later, when I'm older and the risk increases. It has made things a bit different, but, we have adapted to the changes.

Perhaps someone will come along who can shed more light on this for you. Best Wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2002, 08:23 PM

This also has to have been my toughest issue about the whole hyst thing...to keep or not to keep(ovaries)???

It really depends on a lot of factors, which are dif for everyone. For me, everything seemed to be almost 50/50, pro and con. However, my surg is wed. the 23rd, and I have finally made up my mind.

They are.....GOING!!!

The bottom line is that if they are gone, that will be the end of the story...I will never really know if I would have had more good years out of them or not. I will be in surgical menopause, and deal with that appropriately. But if i did keep them in, and they did not function well after surg, or I went into menopause soon anyway(am almost 45yr), or worse yet, I got ovarian cancer...I would be SOOO mad that I kept them in.

But everyone has to weigh all the issues themselves.

Good Luck!
Unread 10-18-2002, 11:16 PM

Hi, SeaSaw! Here is a link to a past thread discussing this. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=74269 You also can go up to the search button in the upper right corner and type in "keep ovaries?" to find many, many threads where women wrestle with this controversial decision! Good luck in your research and in making the decision that feels right for you! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 10-20-2002, 05:08 AM

thanks for all the replies. i'll be turning 50 in a few days. ten years ago, i had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, both tubes removed. since then, i've developed lots of fibroids, some quite large. also, i'm having leakage problems that the doc thinks is related to my uterus being so large from the fibroids. hence, the decision to have the hysterectomy. my family has minimal history regarding cancers, thankfully. guess i have a lot more research to do. again, thanks to you all.
Unread 10-20-2002, 07:21 AM

Hi SeaSaw

Here is another link, this one is on the homepage, a drop down under Ladies In Waiting. Should I keep my ovaries?
And another to pre/post op resources. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...hp?forumid=167
Hopefully these will help you. It is a tough decision.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register