Cis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-18-2002, 06:35 PM
Cis

Hello to All,

I was diagnosed with severe dysplasia or carcinoma in situ. My doctor is recommending a hysterectomy since she fears that I went from having no history or any problems to a year later, having CIS. I had a LEEP on Sept 25th which showed severe dysplasia going to the margins of the cervix. I got a second opinion, who of course, does not totally agree with my current doctor suggesting the hysterectomy. While she says its a reasonable option, she doesn't see any reason why I shouldnt monitor the situation with regular paps if the LEEP was done already.....My mother died of cancer in February and the thought of coming anywhere near anything cancerous is enough to make me want to go the route of a hysterectomy. I want to make an informed decision but am getting very confused. My current doctor suggests talking with an oncologist which I am going to try and schedule this week.

My current doctor is recommending that I get the hysterectomy within the next two months as she is concerned about the HPV and that it seems to be an aggressive strain. I am also under a lot of stress currently at work and home so to me, the HPV can easily flare up again.

My issue is that I am unclear why my current doctor is so pushing the hysterectomy while the other doctor feels it can be monitored. Does it sound as if my current doctor is (a) not telling me something or (b) really doesn't know what she is looking at? She did have an oncologist also look at the pathology report as well to confirm her decision.

I am not fond of my doctor,so will start looking for someone else who will actually take the time and sit down with me to discuss my options a little more clearly and one I can trust more with this decision.

Any advice, particulary from someone with the same situation would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you are all doing well and thanks beforehand for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Cis

s Nappy

Welcome to Cancer Concerns. I am so glad you decided to come on over!
Like I said earlier, this is a great forum for advice, hugs, support and encouragement.
My own situation was different. But I am sure the other ladies will be along shortly.
Going for that third opinion with a gyn oncologist sounds like a great plan to me. They are the true experts, and hopefully will give you very sound advice.
Please make that appointment this week.

karenann
Unread 10-18-2002, 08:16 PM
Cis

Hi Nappy,

I'm glad that you've decided to see an oncologist. My situation was a bit different than yours because the reports showed moderate on the first pap done and mild on a subsequent test. My cone showed clear margins and my dr felt confident at that point, but the pap 3 months later came back abnormal again. The path report from the hyst showed "hi-grade lesion high on the endocervical canal" ....final dx CIN3/CIS. The dr told me that it might not have been picked up with a pap.

One disadvantage I had was that I was totally ignorant of all of this. My dr talked in terms of mild, moderate, etc., but all I ever focused on was that they were "pre-cancers". It wasn't until I read my path report that I came here and found out that CIS is considered a Stage 0 cancer.

My advice is to do as much research as you can so you will know what questions to ask the oncologist and understand what he's telling you.

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2002, 05:12 AM
Cis

Hi there ... your situation seems to pretty well much like mine. I have HPV and my strain of CIN3/CIS was an aggressive invasive type. Read my story and you will be able to read my history.

Talking to an oncologist is a great idea. They are the ones who deal with this each and every day. If you arent comfortable with your Dr, please find another one . It is most important to be able to discuss things thourougly and to feel like the Dr has time and is willing to listen.

HPV will most definately flare up with any kind of stress. At the time of my flare up , I was renovating a house , building another and had a daughter going through year 12 exams. There are lots of things to get your immune system working 100% ~ from relaxation,exercise and herbal supplements. If your immune system is strong , you can fight the virus.

Just remember though ~ even if you decide on the hyster, you must be checked regularly for the rest of your life as HPV will still be present/dormant.

I am happy to help or support you in any way I can. No use going through all of this alone. Love and hugs always x x x
Unread 10-19-2002, 08:08 AM
Cis

Hi Nappy.....I had a hysterectomy in April and the results were ovarian cancer. I saw that you live in NY and so do i.. I am on Long Island..If you would like, have a great oncologist gynocologist and a wonderful oncologist. Let me know.
Rosalie
Unread 10-19-2002, 03:30 PM
Cis

Did the doctor mention the type of cell? If it is the "adeno" cell they do recommend the hysterectomy. If it is squamous they frequently watch it.
Unread 10-19-2002, 05:56 PM
CIS - thank you

I want to thank everyone for their advice. It seems to be all over this site - but this is truly a wonderful website!!!

I think my biggest issue right now is finding a new gynecologist, finding the right oncologist and getting a good list of questions together along with a copy of the pathology report for myself.

Again, I truly thank you all for responding and I will let you know what I decide.
Unread 10-20-2002, 04:35 AM
Cis

Hi Nappy....What part of NY are you from?? Like i said before, I have excellent doctors and would love to share them with you if you live near Long Island.
Rosalie
Unread 10-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Cis

I am actually in upper Westchester or I would love to take you up on your offer. I considered going into the city but it would be too difficult on my husband if my surgery was anywhere else.

I will probably have the procedure done at Northern Westchester if I stay with my current doctor -- or elsewhere in Westchester.

Thanks anyway. I appreciate it!
Unread 10-20-2002, 01:38 PM
Cis

Hi Again Nappy
MY surgery was done at North Shore University Hospital..That is in Manhasset on Long Island... It is an excellent hospital and was rated #1. There was a whole big write up on it not too long ago. MY oncologist gynocologist is Dr. Andrew Menzin and my oncologist is Dr. Gina Villani. Both are wonderful and very caring people.. If you want any more information... let me know.
Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register