Normal Pap/abnormal pap | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Normal Pap/abnormal pap Normal Pap/abnormal pap

Unread 10-19-2002, 10:15 AM
Normal Pap/abnormal pap

I have a question. I had went to my GYN on the 30th of July due to painful periods and he had done a pap on that day. (That pap came back normal) Well in August I had Ultrasound done and that showed some pelvic mass and he did a CA-125 and it came back elevated (235). So he sends me to a GYN/ONC, I went in on surgery on the 12th thinking I had ovarian cancer, they did the frozens on the ovaries and mass and they all come back negative. Thinking I did this for nothing. Well the following monday, I get a call from my ONC doc saying that yes I indeed do have cancer Cervical cancer. Blow me over, My pap on July 30th was neg, and so was the others before that. (I am a bad girl did not have regular checkup) So how could this be??? Well I called my ONC doc's office to see how things are going (when do I start chemo/Radiation, get CT scan and all) and ask about the pathology charge on My Insurances Explaination of Benefits. She said it was a pap. So I ask what the results were on that one.
It came back showing dysplasia and neoplasia (sp). (this did not come back till after my surgery on 12 of september.) I said WHAT!!! :hair: I couldn't believe my ears. My question is has anyone had this happen to them (2 paps very different results)??? Can any one believe this??? (It is Very true -- but it is even hard for me to believe) Do I have any recorse. Because being that my doc was looking for ovarian cancer I think she didn't check nodes, and or margins, when the ovaries came back normal. This is very unsettleing for me. I feel like I have been cheated. Mainly by the labs that check the paps. Or the doctor that did the first one. I dont think that I could have grown cancer in a little over a month. Expecally endocervical adenocarcinoma, I believe that it is a slow growing cancer.

Well I just thought that I would ask, and would appreciate any replys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2002, 12:22 PM
Normal Pap/abnormal pap

Hi,

My dr was puzzled by the results of my paps prior to my surgery. They went from moderate back to mild. It wasn't until the path report came back from my hyst that it showed CIS. The dr said the lesion was high in the canal and that it might not have showed up on a pap. I have read since that paps are not 100% accurate.

I understand why you would feel unsettled by your situation. Your dr may be able to give you an explanation that will make you feel better.

Unread 10-19-2002, 03:27 PM
Normal Pap/abnormal pap

There are false negatives when it comes to pap smears. Also with cervical adenocarcinoma the the adeno cells are located higher up in the cervix. Adenocarcinoma can be missed when just the surface of the cervix is scraped during a pap smear. It is the reason that adenocarcinoma is sometimes caught later. Adenocarcinoma is more aggressive than the more common squamous cell carcinoma. Did they stage the cancer for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2002, 05:38 PM
staging??

No as far as I know they havent staged me as of yet. My path report from surgery says tumor involves almost the entire submitted cervical tissue and infiltrates aggressively through the full thickness of the cervical stroma. There is focal perineural invasion. The tumor creates well-formed glands. The entire circumference of the cervix is involve by invasive endocervical adenocarcinoma. The tumor extends to at least 2cm in lenght and extends into paracervical soft tissues and parametrial tissues. And so on.... I feel that they didn't get it all. My doc didnt take lymph nodes as far as I can tell. It just kills me to know that I had cervical cancer and two paps so close together had such differnt results
Unread 10-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Normal Pap/abnormal pap

They can go back and remove the tissue and the lymph nodes. I know that other women who have posted here have had this done. What is your oncologist recommending now?
Unread 10-20-2002, 06:10 AM
Normal Pap/abnormal pap

I know that they can go back in, but the thing is I know that would mean another surgery. Along with messing around with those little cancer cells, possably causing them to spread. It is just the fact of knowing that they didn't get it all. And I am hoping that the radiation and chemo will get them all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register