Cited by the pillow police | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cited by the pillow police Cited by the pillow police

Unread 10-19-2002, 06:50 PM
Cited by the pillow police

But, Officer Chenille ma'am, I was really careful. Yes, I went to daily Mass and a dinner meeting afterward. But I lay down for at least a half hour after every hour sitting up, even though that meant not helping with getting the meal, leaving the table early, spending the education hour lying down on the couch while everyone else sat up. I felt pretty good, too. But today I am sore all over and very very tired. It's 18 days since surgery, and it felt like time to at least try going out. Officer, I have a note from my MD saying it was ok to try as long as I was careful.

I don't think I set myself back too badly, there's no bleeding or acute pain or fever and the swelling is about like usual. I'm just incredibly tired, was too excited to sleep much overnight but have been out cold most of today. I asked DH whether I overdid and he said, "I don't think you overdid but you did quite a bit." He has been fussing over me all day, fetching and carrying. He is baking brownies!!!

Not sure I will make it to church tomorrow. I do understand that, Officer, and I won't go unless I wake up feeling positively perky.

It doesn't matter how I think I ought to feel...healing will only happen in its own time. I'm glad I was careful, accepted help, and lay down when I felt I needed it.

Yes, Officer, I understand you have to write the ticket. I see the fine is more sleep. I can pay that What's this note? Oh, tell my hystersisters and ask whether I overdid by their standards. Yes, ma'am, I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2002, 07:02 PM

I loved your post.
Unread 10-19-2002, 08:32 PM

Hi Sheltie

: yes ma'am... just the facts, ma'am... yup, you overdid.

Remember, if you think you can do something, do half of that and you'll probably be OK.
Thanks for the great post!
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2002, 08:54 PM
but but but...

I thought I was doing half! Maybe I have to cut down to 1/3. Sigh.
Unread 10-20-2002, 04:53 AM

Great post. Your body tells you your limits. Taking it slow will help with an easier recovery and better health in the long run. Isn't it nice to be pampered and receive love and help from the family. What a great indulgence. Best luck on your surgery recover. I needed a shameful year of easy living to heal. And I suffered no guilt. Love, Judi
Unread 10-20-2002, 06:50 AM

I'm only 1 week ahead of you sheltie and the
have been hounding me repeatedly. I really do try to be very careful and not overdo but unfortunately it seems that what I think is not too much eventually turns out to be!

The ride to VT to get some pies and see the leaves turned out to be too much. I wasn't driving, it was only an hours ride each way, I had my pillows and put the seat way back for most of it.
What gets me is it was just a little further than the ride to the doctors a week before and that ride didn't do me in!

Now stubbornly sitting up to finish sewing a whole throw was just plain stupidity and stubborness on my part. I should have done it in halves because of the time spent sitting up.

A few days ago, I decided to act like an almost normal person...after all it had been 3 weeks already and I was feeling pretty good (and also pretty fed-up with this boring laying around thing! heheh). All I did was sit up most of the day...walking too but very little lying down. It felt great...until that night and the whole next day!

I haven't taken any pain meds since leaving the hospital...the pain wasn't that bad. I understand having to rest but have to fight myself constantly. It's the old..."I feel ok and I want to get up and do things now so I'm going to!". That kind of attitude has gotten me through many very hard times in my life so it's hard to accept that it doesn't seem to work for this one! hehehe

Holy Frustration Batman! This gets me more than anything else!
I've never felt so impatient with anything in my life! I have to talk to myself, reminding me that I will get there and that over 3 weeks of this insanity has already passed.

I do have one thing I might suggest to break the frustration temporarily. A friend came over to visit - bringing an entire meal with her that included dessert. She brought 2 pts of Godiva ice cream. One was chocolate raspberry truffle, the other was dark belgian chocolate. We mixed them. I'd had Godiva chocolates and loved them but when I got that ice cream in my mouth...I could have died right there and been totally content!
It has got to be the ultimate chocoholic's experience!
Usually, I will go through a pint in one sitting but this stuff is so rich and so wonderful that I had the leftovers from those two pints for 4 days! I would have a little and be so content that I didn't need any more. Who ever heard of such a thing??????????
hahahaha

I know that ice cream isn't cheap but it is TOTALLY worth the price! BTW, if I can only choose one of the two flavors...it would be the dark belgian chocolate.

Tell DH the brownies were fantastic but now you NEED some Godiva chocolate ice cream! hahahah

We'll get there. Just keep coming back here when you can and see the other sisters that have made it and are not only back to normal but better than before!

s
erasmuse
Unread 10-20-2002, 07:49 AM
pillow police

Sheltie, your post was a riot! And wonderful timing for me, as I sit here hunched over in my chair. I'm going back to work tomorrow and doc told me Tuesday no more restrictions. Now I know that doesn't mean full swing back into everything, but...have really been concerned (forever) about my weight, and the last several months, I've really put on a lot. Just no energy to use my Y membership, not to mention that constant pain and cramping of non stop bleeding for weeks. So I've been to the Y twice in the last four days, drinking even more water and eating much healthier. Feeling very proud of myself for putting on the sweats and working out! And this morning? OOWWWWW! For the first time since I got home, I slept till 9:30! What's up with that? I have to be up at 6:00 tomorrow to get ready for work! The good news is, it's not my tummy area that hurts; I stayed away from all the machines that work on those. But my poor flabby weak arms and legs!

So when those are done with you, send them my way. I didn't make it to church this morning either! Going to spend a nice relaxing day at home and try to figure out what to wear tomorrow.

Take care!
Unread 10-21-2002, 11:36 AM

SHELTIE, what have you done Momma? I am in big ol' trouble, too....tried dinner and a movie the other night.....and whether or not it was a kooinkey dinkey or not, I suddenly couldn't 'void' and was vomiting....lots of pain....ended up back at the Castle. SO....WATCH it sistah!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register