Clothes -(yet again!) and more! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clothes -(yet again!) and more! Clothes -(yet again!) and more!

Unread 10-21-2002, 07:08 AM
Clothes -(yet again!) and more!

I know most princesses bring their own nightgowns to the castle and never use them - but what about a bathrobe? Is there much bleeding after? I'd hate to ruin my new princess robe with stainage! LOL!

Nightgowns or PJ's?? I'm a PJ person all the way (would live in them 24/7 except for the funny looks at the grocery store!), but would nightgowns be less restricting? If so I'm Filene's bound on Wednesday for a new princess sleeping wardrobe! (Any excuse to shop, right?)

Is it appropriate to be wearing nightgown with nice robe when those well-wishers pop in? Or should I attempt to get dressed every morning, on the off chance that one of my crew stops by?

Just under 18 days to go! The countdown clock has started!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2002, 08:25 AM

Hi Cyndi,

First of all let me send you BEST WISHES, on your upcoming castle visit! Soon it will all be behind you!

Now as for nightgowns, robes and bleeding...

I chose to wear my own gowns (althought the nursing staff said they'd prefer me to wear the hospital gowns).

I did bring in my own robe (just one that I already had, not a new one).

As for bleeding, well I can only speak for myself..I hardly had any bleeding at all! So staining a new one was not an issue.

Wearing jammies with bottoms may not be the best idea as you won't want anything rubbing your tummy. Just something to think about.

Please don't concern yourself with any well wishers that may come to visit you! You are NOT there to entertain them! Stay comfortable in your gown!

The last bit of advise I have to offer is this...bring your own slippers, ones that you can just slip your foot into is the easiest option! That way you won't have to bend over to get your heal into the back

Hugs and blessings,

Laurie
Unread 10-21-2002, 08:33 AM

Hi!!

Best of luck to you on your upcoming Castle visit and I hope everything goes well and uneventful for you!

As for the clothes, I took my own pj's to the hospital. I live in those over sized night shirts with prints on them, so they look like large tshirts. After that first shower, I was thrilled to get back into my own things. I did also put my bra back on only because as much as they annoy me, I didn't want to me all over the place while taking those walks!

I didn't do the robe thing. I had brought very loose fitting shorts to wear under my night shirt. I had a bikini cut with steri-strips, so I didn't have to worry about the staples or stitches catching. It was also alot easier to pull them down for the DR or nurses to have their daily peeks. The slippers, I did go and buy a slip on pair and I am still wearing them. They have been a God's end, especially with the swelly belly preventing you from getting down that far! (the feet seem miles away with this belly)

I had, and still have not had, any bleeding after surgery. Even though, oddly enough, I still do that toilet paper check. Guess time will break me of that habit.

As for my well wishers. They knew what I had done. They know me enough that what you see is what you get. I would of course, wash my face, comb my hair, but if they thought I was going to play hostess, well, they better head to the nearest restaurant cause I am enjoying being waited on waaaaayyy to much to let the DH and DD and DS know that I can do some stuff on my own!! LOL

Take care and I hope you do well with everything!

((((HUGS)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2002, 08:47 AM
Clothes

I, too, brought my own jammies,robe and slippers to the hospital. It felt sooo good! I also brought some cute little socks to keep my feet warm in bed.
NO ENTERTAINING is allowed! You are to be laying low, resting and only answering the door to allow people to drop things off! While you're in the hospital, I'd suggest no visitors- other then family. I had 2 friends come by and it took ALOT out of me. I would recommend telling people NOW to please wait.
Best wishes. You're tuned in to the right place for pre-op support!

Unread 10-21-2002, 11:27 AM
Castle stay

Hey there Cyndi, it is getting close! As far as the jammies in the hospital...bring them, and a robe, and if it makes you feel good, wear them. I brought jammies and button down the front midcalf robe, and ended up not needing them. The hospital gown was easier to manuever in and out of bed(no scrunching up) it was easier to lift when my tummy was being checked, it didn't get hung up with the IV line, and they gave me a fresh one every day. I also had a nurse suggest that I use one of their gowns as a robe(opening in the front) again because of the IV line....they have snaps on the shoulder and can easily go on and off. I would also recommend what another sister suggested...the slip on slippers. I specifically asked for no visitors while I was in the hospital, and I am glad I did. I didn't have to worry about how I looked, or being adept at getting in and out of bed, and I could rest.....which is so important. The phone was there if I wanted to say hello to anyone...and I did a few times. When at home, wear your jammies as much as possible, it reminds people you are still recovering! Hope this helps.
FlossBoss/Molly
Unread 10-21-2002, 12:55 PM

PJ's in the hosp - not a real good idea. I chose to wear the hosp gowns because I figured I was paying enough, they could do the laundry. I did take my own robe & slippers. After I was home I lived in sweats.

As for visitors - the first night you won't want anyone to visit, except immediate family, and you probably will spend most of the time sleeping. The next night you still won't be up to entertaining anybody, this is MAJOR surgery. I preferred to have my friends wait until I was home for a few days before they visited. Phone calls & flowers let me know they were thinking about me!

Best wishes!
Unread 10-21-2002, 01:08 PM

Cyndi,

I took the advice other ladies had on this site. While in the castle I wore castle gowns - easier to get in & out of and it didn't add to my laundry at home. I did take a short robe which I made use of walking the castle halls.

I had major bleeding the first time I stood, but after that, just spotting for a couple of days.

At home I wore short nightgowns or nightshirts for the first week - I had a vertical incision & wasn't comfortable with too much crossing it.

I guess the question of whether or not to take your own sleepwear to the castle is just a personal judgement call. It would not have meant much to me to have my own, but it may do a lot for you. It's your call.

I stayed in sleepwear for the first 1 1/2 weeks at home. If I had visitors I just put on my robe. It does seem to help as a reminder to all that you are not in your usual "hostess mode".

Best wishes to you!

Mongie
Unread 10-21-2002, 01:10 PM
clothing

I chose to let the hospital do the laundry. I wouldn't have been able to use my robe anyway until the IV came out. I didn't even use my slippers. They gave me footies for my feet. Even had me wear them into the shower. More stable footing that way. Then got a new pair. I took all the toiletries you think you'll need, but the hospital supplied them all for me.
Don't forget as soon as you start to dress everyday, your family will assume you are completely well. Jammies are very useful for remembering your status.
s
Unread 10-21-2002, 01:27 PM
postop clothes

I'm not sure yet which way I'll go at the castle, but I know what I'm doin' once I get home. The DH found a couple of caftans for me. They're loose, and very comfortable. They also will remind me that the pillow police are watching, and will be perfect for veggin out on the couch in front of the tv and doing the princess thing. Since I won't wear them until after the castle, they'll be a reminder to all the family of my new royal status!
Unread 10-21-2002, 01:45 PM
there is always oxyclean

but I am with the *let the hospital do the stain removal* group on this one. Taking a robe that has seen better days for hall walking.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register