Hyst Nov 4,breast Biopsy Also | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst Nov 4,breast Biopsy Also Hyst Nov 4,breast Biopsy Also

Unread 10-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Hyst Nov 4,breast Biopsy Also

WELL GIRLS FOR 4 WEEKS NOW ALL I'VE WORRIED ABOUT WAS THIS UPCOMING LAVH (UNTILL TODAY) AT MY PAPSMEAR 3 WKS AGO I TOLD MY NEW GYN THAT I HAVE A KNOT IN MY BREAST AND TOLD HER A GYN (MAN) TOLD ME 3TO4 YRS AGO IT WAS NOTHING .I SAID YOU POSSITVE, HE SAID NOTHIN BUT A FATTY TISSUE LIKE CYST! WELL SOON AS SHE FELT IT SHE SAID I WANT A DIAGNOSTIC MAMMOGRAM ON IT. SO 3 WKS LATER(TODAY) WENT TO HAVE IT DONE. THE LADY AT THE HOSP. GOT IT DONE AND SAID LET ME SHOW THIS TO THE RADIOLOGIST AND I'LL BE RIGHT BACK.SHE CAME BACK AND SAID HE WANTS AN ULTRASOUND ON IT, CAN YOU WAIT? I SAID SURE, NOT WORRIED AT ALL TILL THE ULTRASOUND. WELL I WAS TOLD TO CALL THE OFFICE TOMORROW AFTERNOON OR WED AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY. I LEFT THE HOSP. AT 3 AND BY 3:45 MY PHONE WAS RINGING . NURSE SAID MY DRS. OUT OF TOWN TILL MON. BUT THE DR ON CALL SAID WHEN HE SAW RESULTS FOR NURSE TO CALL ME AND TELL ME I NEED TO SEE A GENERAL SURGEON. THE MASS IS NOT A CYST. IT DOESN'T HAVE CANCER CHARACTERISTICS(THATS HER WORDS) BUT YOU NEVER KNOW AND IT IS SUSPICIOUS. SO SINCE I WAS SO NOT READY FOR ANYTHING LIKE THIS, I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT I SAID AFTER THAT. MY HUSBAND WAS LISTENING AND I WAS TRYING TO REMAIN COOL FOR HIS BENEFIT, BUT FORGOT TO ASK ANYTHING MUCH. BY THE WAY TODAY IS MY AND MY HUSBANDS 24TH ANNIVERSARY!!! ANYWAY I'LL CALL NURSE IN THE MORN. AND TRY TO FIND OUT MORE. I DO REMEMBER WHEN SHE (THE DR) FELT THE LUMP, SHE SAID IF IT DID NEED TO BE CK'D SHE COULD SCHEDULE A SURGEON TO COME IN AS SOON AS SHE'S DONE WITH HYST (WHILE I'M STILL OUT ) AND DO THE BIOPSY.AND I DON'T KNOW HOW EASY THAT'LL BE TO SCHEDULE BEING MY SURG. IS 2 WKS AWAY . BUT SHES OUT OF TOWN AND I'M GONNA HAVE TO WAIT TILL MON TO TALK TO HER .THE NURSE SAID, BUT SHE (THE NURSE) WOULD GO ON AND CK WITH THE SURGERY SCHEDULING NURSES ABOUT ONE AFTER THE OTHER. I DID NOT KNOW YOU HAVE TO BE PUT UNDER FOR A BIOPSY AND I NEED TO KNOW HOW DO THEY DO A BIOPSY? DO THEY JUST CUT THE LUMP OUT OR DO THEY TAKE LYMP NODES TOO AND FROM WHERE (ARM PIT)? I'M DUMB TO ALL THIS. I'VE EDUCATED MYSELF SO WELL READING UP ON HYST. HERE ON THE SITE, BUT NOTHING ABOUT BREAST PROBLEMS. HELP FROM ANYONE AND EVERYONE, LOVE HYSTERSISTER, LINDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2002, 10:06 PM

Hi Linda,

I'm so sorry that you're going through all this. I'm sorry that I can't give you any info on the procedure for the biopsy. Just want to give you a cyber hug and say that I'll say a prayer that it works out well for you.

's
Unread 10-23-2002, 10:55 PM

Linda,

Here's a website which gives information about the different procedures which you might find helpful.

http://www.breastbiopsy.com/biopsyinfo.jsp

Were you able to contact the nurse again to ask the questions you didn't think to ask when you first talked to her?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2002, 03:15 AM
:hug:

Poohpie,
I just read your thread you started. Please know that I will be thinking of you and hope all goes well...we will be in surgery the same day....Think positive thoughts....
Take care and praying for you and your family...
lilly
Unread 10-24-2002, 06:19 AM

(((Linda)))

I'm sorry that you have this added stress on top of your hysterectomy! When it rains, it pours!

I had a breast biopsy done several years ago. My area was very small, so they took me in to the mammogram room where they inserted a very small needle into the area to mark the place(and checked with the mammogram to see that the needle was in the right place). Then I was taken off to outpatient surgery, sedated (not put to sleep) and then doc just made a small incision, removed a small piece of the area, and that was that. My results came back fine, but if for some reason they don't come back fine, then they schedule another surgery for removal of the entire thing later. Or that's my understanding anyway. So, if they can do yours at the same time as your hysterectomy, well, that would be great!

Good luck, Linda. I know you must be very nervous, so I will keep you in my thoughts and 'ers.

Unread 10-24-2002, 07:32 AM

A hyst is - physically speaking - a terrifically opportune time for a breast biopsy - but regrettably not the most emotionally convenient timing! Even so - if your Doc needs to do this ... this is GOOD! In fact - I am really hoping to have some post-breast cancer surgery and treatment scar tissue/adhesion removal done while I am under for my hyst.

You have a couple of weeks to become better informed on your breast matter - and the good news is that there's lots of info about ... but I'd let the Dr be your first and best guide at this point, until you talk with her and were to hear otherwise. It sounds like it would be a simple surgical biopsy due to mass location, and that they are possibly planning a *get-it-out-and-look-at-it* procedure. I really really REALLY LIKE this approach. It's simple, sensible, it's accurate, and then you know it's out and that everyone then has time to formulate a plan for whatever else may be necessary - and likely and hopefully nothing will be, so then you're done!

If I may offer one bit of first hand advice: PLEASE make sure that you do not go into surgery without a clear understanding - and written directive - of what is expected to occur with the breast biopsy. (I am the owner a story on the down side of this scenario, so I speak from past personal experience.)

I would specifically not allow removal of any lymph nodes - as, having had this done, I cannot envision that particular procedure being done in tandem when it comes to hyst recovery. This, should it become necessary, should be done later. That part of a breast surgery represents a significant discomfort and physical inconvenience - and I personally feel that this would leave a person without proper use of their upper body to get in and out of bed post-hyst.

Try to rest and relax ... knowing that your Doc may opt to utilize a plan for efficient multi-tasing during your surgery, and in doing so will hopefully wrap everything up all at once!
Unread 10-25-2002, 06:41 AM

Linda,

I am sorry to hear you are facing both the hyst and the breast biopsy at the same time. Emotions must defiantely be running high at this time.

I am 3 weeks post-op from a hyst for CIN3 and also recently had a breast biopsy. The breast biopsy was done with a local while under sedation. I was somewhat aware of what was happening, but for the most part I was asleep. From what I have read, 'typically' the surgeon will remove the area in question and send it to patholgy. In my case they kept me under sedation until pathology reported back that the tissue actually contained the bad area. This procedure was repeated several times for me, since the problem area was small. Since your lump can be felt, the surgeon can probably get it the first time.

Generally speaking, no lymph nodes will be tested or any further surgery done at the time of the biopsy. There are so many options now in treatment, that you will be given time to decide how you want to proceed should cancer be present. Remember.... only 10% of breast biopsies turn out to be cancerous, so keep a positive attitude.

By the way....pathology for the breast biopsy took 1 week.

Good luck to you!
Kedda
Unread 10-27-2002, 10:15 AM

{{Linda}}

I'm sorry you're having this on top of getting ready for your hyst, however, it IS a very good time to take care of it.

It sounds like they're being very thorough and making sure all is ok, good to hear it!!! I'm sure you'll be able to get more specific information once you talk to the physician themselves.

You might want to write down any questions you may have, if you haven't already. Also, I would bring along your DH or a friend to be another set of ears or possibly take along a recorder. Its really easy to not only loose track of what you wanted to ask, but its also very easy to not "hear" everything thats said.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on how everything is going when you can.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register