"Too Young for Endometrial Cancer"? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"Too Young for Endometrial Cancer"? "Too Young for Endometrial Cancer"?

Unread 10-25-2002, 10:58 PM
"Too Young for Endometrial Cancer"?

Oh Donna!! s I am SO sorry about your breast cancer. And now I feel so bad for having said I resent the attention to the disease. I hope you know that I (and others who agreed) didn't mean we shouldn't be aware of it - just that we should be aware of ALL the possible cancers.

PLEASE try not to expect the worst about your endo biopsy! At 44, sometimes lack of periods for awhile really IS perimenopause. ALSO, might not the trauma of breast cancer ALONE cause menstrual problems? Also, even if it IS endometrial cancer, odds are it's early, and the hysterectomy alone will cure it.

Anyway, since apparently you say you're having a hysterectomy regardless of whether it's cancer, it's SO smart of you to check out this site.... I think you'll find it helpful. I didn't discover it until months after my surgery (and radiation).

Are you having to undergo chemo/radiation for the breast cancer?

I hope you'll keep in touch with this site and let people know how your endo biopsy goes.

BI-I-IG

Lily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2002, 11:45 PM

Hey Lily,
You gotta show me how to make all those graphics you add to your post!!! Really neat! I was not offended in any way about your comments about breast cancer. I agree with all of you that breast cancer gets so much attention and endo. cancer gets none!!!!
Actually, I welcomed the "lack of periods"!!! It sure was nice not having to deal with that. I just didn't realize that the lack of periods could cause problems. The breast issue came along many months after the lack of periods, so I don't think that was a factor. I had stage I with all nodes clear, so the surgery took care of the cancer. I am having to take tamoxifen which I was kicking and screaming about because I do not want to take this. I have only taken it for 3 days now, so no side effects yet. My oncologists says if I have the other breast removed (which I wanted to have done but nobody would listen to me) then I would not have to take the tamoxifen and I would be cancer free forever! Maybe I should get another oncologists? He is kinda weird anyway.
The only reason for the endo. biopsy is to see if there is cancer before the surgery. I guess he wants to know what he is dealing with before they cut me open!!! This hysterectomy thing is kinda scary. Sure sounds like it is much more painful than a mastectomy. I will keep you posted.

Donna
Unread 10-26-2002, 01:59 AM

Donna, ,

I'm so glad that the breast cancer was caught at such as early stage. You are SO brave about losing a breast and possibily another! Geez! Will you be able to get reconstruction?

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you on about your endo biopsy. To do the graphics, which are really fun, start replying to a post, and then pause and scroll down to a rectangular box called "forum rules", and on the right hand part of that box it will say "smilies are on". Click on "smilies", and it will give you what you have to type for all the different things, like and
which indicate for me that it's time to go to bed! Good night!

Lily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2002, 05:24 PM

donna - geez... you poor thing. i will keep you in my prayers. lily is right - this site will help you with any hyster questions and concerns. regarding the endo cancer, i've read that usually this type of cancer is very slow growing , and it does sound like you've probably caught it early, if you even have it at all. your drs. are now and will forever be alert to cancer in you now that you've previously been diagnosed with it. i guess that could be a silver-lining for all of us -- never again will a doctor poo-poo any concerns about having cancer. i can only assume there will be no chances taken from here on out (hopefully).

lily - you are so right on about drs. getting annoyed or impatient with too many questions. i had a dr. tell me they didn't know which was worse, patients' friends or the internet when it came to info. i think they HATE when you get so much info from the internet or books and come in with a list of questions (which is what i do), but i also say too bad! once my son was having a strange situation with a huge, swollen lymph node on his neck that they were running loads of tests on because they really didn't know what was happening and i was asking questions and what if's, or could it be's, and the dr. says to me, "even if i told you, i know that wouldn't be enough for you." what a jerk! attitudes like that just aren't necessary. it's like they want you to take whatever they say and meekly say nothing else or know anything else. just to trust them - no! i will never, ever not go to a dr. without researching all i can first.

sorry to vent, but i feel i can finally talk to people who have been there.

ginny
Unread 10-28-2002, 11:14 PM

Ginny,

Boy, I can TOTALLY relate to your comments on doctors. They get impatient when you ask questions, and in fact their whole demeanor DISCOURAGES questions. The unstated assumption is: "you're supposed to just trust me, and any questions you ask are questioning my authority." Or, with the nicest ones, it's not so much outrage at questioning their authority, it's more a matter of "I don't have time for this, and so I'm going to show you by my attitude what an incredibly busy person I am and maybe you'll shut up."

And yet. If you DON'T ask questions, you could end up without the treatment you need. Or if you ask them, and believe their answer but it turns out to be wrong - again, you could be in trouble.

Recently I had to give a deposition with regard to my malpractice suit against my doctor, and the doctor's lawyer, in the course of the deposition, managed to accuse me both of a) not TRUSTING her enough and following her instructions to the letter, but also b) not QUESTIONING her enough when her instructions appeared contradictory! Talk about a no win situation!

Lily
Unread 10-29-2002, 06:53 AM

lily - i'm still laughing! that's so typical of attorneys too (i should know, my husband is a civil litigation atty and this line of reasoning has been used on me during our arguments with each other - so frustrating!).

you know what? it would be so much easier for me to trust what the dr. tells me and go on my merry way, but from personal experience, and in my husband's line of work (you wouldn't believe the horror stories), i just can't. anyway, drs. these days always leave it up to the patient so that they have a "way out" in case their advice stinks.

i had a dr. that i completely trusted and that's why i found myself in the situation i was in with the cancer, only she really did leave the decision up to me technically, but my decision was based on misinformation by her!!! now we're back to the fact that drs. need to be aware that endo cancer happens more often then they beleive and in women who don't fit the typical "risk" factors.

ginny

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register