How 'bout leg waxing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How 'bout leg waxing? How 'bout leg waxing?

Unread 10-23-2002, 07:33 PM
How 'bout leg waxing?

I HATE to have itchy, hairy legs, but know that I probably won't feel much like dealing with them. I'm scheduled for a TVH, but doc has already said there's a large chance of it turning into a TAH, so I assume that the bending over part won't be do-able.

I've never had a leg wax before, and wondered if this is a good option. How long does it last? Does it hurt? (I sound like a pain wimp, huh? Worried about leg waxing pain when facing major surgery! Cracked myself up!)

Have any of the princesses done this, and were there any down-sides to it? I've read about some kind of leg wraps being used at the castle, but I don't really understand them.

Emma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2002, 08:57 PM
ouch!

I'm too to wax my eyebrows so I could never handle getting my legs waxed even though it sounds like a really good idea.

What about Nair, do they make that stuff anymore? If so it could be a less painful (and less expensive) option.

The leg wraps at the castle are a sort of constricting hosiery designed to prevent blood clots and promote circulation. I hated them because the constricting motion kept waking me up the first night.
Unread 10-24-2002, 07:35 AM
How 'bout leg waxing?

Hi, I'm against extra pain so I don't do waxing but I have used Nair & it works pretty good - doesn't last as long but no pain. As for shaving after surgery, I found that I could manage it if I had a chair in the shower to sit on. It made it fairly easy to shave & not too uncomfortable. If you don't have a shower chair, maybe you could have someone do it for you. Or , as I sometimes do, wear long jammies and pretend like it's not there LOL. s

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2002, 10:42 AM
How 'bout leg waxing?

Hi Emma! I feel the same way you do about itchy, hairy legs. I no longer shave mine, and I don't wax them. I bit the bullet about a month before my surgery and started using an epilator (one of those torture devices that looks like an electric razor, sounds like hedge clippers on steroids and yanks the hairs out by the roots )

The first time was "interesting". I knew I was in for something when I asked the older male salesman at the store if it would work, and he told me that yes, it works, he's heard lots about it from ladies who've bought them and come back in and told him how it worked... he said "and if I were a drinkin' man, I'd have me a couple before I did it the first time". Well, NO KIDDING. I did just that, and made sure I was alone in the house when I tried it the first time. They probably heard me alternately laughing and screaming across town!

However... it didn't hurt afterwards, and has never hurt since then. The hairs that grow back are much finer and softer, with smaller roots, so they are easily and painlessly pulled out. I have to do this about once a week, and it's like using an electric razor. I won't get it near my underarms (still shave those) but this past summer I did get brave and use it at the sides of the bikini area for swimsuit season and it wasn't that bad. The only downside is the occasional ingrown hair, and if you loofah frequently you shouldn't have a problem with that. My legs feel a lot nicer now than when I used to have razor stubble, so that's a big plus.

This method isn't for everybody, but if you're willing to brave the first time, it's a great long term solution and MUCH cheaper than waxing or those really really expensive laser treatments.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-25-2002, 03:45 AM
How 'bout leg waxing?

Wow Linda, how do you do it? Leg waxing I'm fine with and have it done occasionally, will definately do it before castle stay, but epilating !!!!! You're the first person I've met who managed it, I certainly couldn't, respect sister .

Emma, give it a go, it does hurt more 1st time but not too much. You can always tell the therapist to stop if you can't cope. Occasionally hairs can grow in afterwards but not often 1st time,they say to take a simple pain pill if you're worried about pain (before you go) and pain threashold is supposed to be higher after period than before. It's a bit like having a band-aid ripped off.
s Vicky
Unread 10-25-2002, 04:54 AM
Waxing

That is too funny. I had just been thinking about this yesterday while in the shower. I can't get good rest and sleep with hairy legs. I'm dead serious here. I have never had a waxing either but I am thinking that a day or two before the surgery I may want to get it done so I can at least have reasonable comfort in the leg area for as long as I can. Although with drugs and post-op pain I probably won't notice the legs anyway. I also see it as a way to fend off depression. In my experience feeling good about the outside can transfer to the inside and visa versa. Hmmmm but then I suppose the regrowth from the pre-op prep will probably win out in the annoyance arena.

Theresa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register