It was funny, but now it's not! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It was funny, but now it's not! It was funny, but now it's not!

Unread 10-25-2002, 04:21 PM
It was funny, but now it's not!

Let's take a look at all the things I can do that don't hurt. I can cough, sneeze, bend over, sweep, make the bed, cook, sing, yell, well just about everything is going good. But.........

My dd and dh had me laughing last night. A nice belly laugh. They say that laughing is good for you. It's good for your mental health, it's good for your physical health, and it is like an internal massage. Guess what? They are WRONG! Laughs hurt like heck! And that's not all!

After lot's of laughing yesterday, and lot's of holding my belly and yelling stop, my incision swelled on one side. No problem I thought, I'll just lay down, get some descent sleep, and today I would be back to my old self. Not so! I woke up this morning to the entire incision poofed out, and it is really really sore. Dang it!

The kicker is that I keep laughing! We ate fish last night and I am apparently emitting a fish smell! LOL Everytime I walk past someone they yell "Shrimp!" and it starts me laughing, and hurting, all over again!

So be warned ladies.......lauging hurts!

Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2002, 05:03 PM

It's good for the soul, but not the incision!
Sounds like we need to add Laughing to Toonces list of things not to do! We can add that to the list between bending and sweeping! Please take it easy.

I am glad you are feeling so good and very glad that your family is keeping your spirits up. Because laughing really is good medicine. But maybe it is too soon for that perscription!

Caren
Unread 10-25-2002, 08:46 PM

I hope you are resting throughout your day, too. You are just abouth the same number of days out as I am and I was doing alot around the house because I felt good and thought , wow this isn't so bad really. Then I went on for my 2 wk cheek and got a huge lecture from the nurse telling me why I needed to rest. She really scared me and so I'm trying. My DH is trying, too, but our DD and DS,s are challenging us every chance they can. I'm glad you're family is keeping you're spirits up but it's up to you to keep your feet up, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2002, 11:01 PM
Laughing et al..

I've also found that laughing needs to be kept to an upper body experience. I've sneezed and coughed a few times since surgery but laughing definitely take more out of you. If I'm about to laugh I usually clench the pelvic floors and clutch my belly in preparation because it can hurt!

Hope you feeling better today Atropos - we had our surgeries on the same day

regards
Xaviera
Unread 10-26-2002, 05:02 PM

Xaviera, I'm feeling much better thank you. I took all of my tape off yesterday despite the fear that my guts are going to spill out. lol

How have you been?

Brenda
Unread 10-26-2002, 09:23 PM
So good to hear

That's great that you got all the tape off and are feeling much better now Remember to keep doing absolutely nothing and try not to watch too many funny movies!

I had a mild allergic reaction to the tape used in theatre - the papery kind (can't remember it's name but was told to avoid it in the future) it left a bright red rash wherever it was and that skin has gone all dry and is flaking off. As I had a lap/vaginal I had the typical bellybutton + 3 other small incisions which have all healed nicely - I'm amazed at how quickly the incisions have healed although they are still a bit tender.

Yesterday was my worst day so far - I had to spend the entire day in bed and when I did get up to use the toilet I could only bare to walk hunched over and very slowly. I'm sure this was because the day before I went shopping when I was feeling a bit tired in the first place. I spent alot of time online here as I really needed to remind myself of what I can and cannot do while recovering.

Today I'm feeling better but have only just got out of bed and had my shower (it's nearly 2:30 in the pm in Australia!) and I feel really good about it! I had planned on going back to work in week 4-5 but it now looks as though I may not make it by then which is absolutely fine. I'd like to go back but as we've been told this is our one chance to heal right the first time and I don't want to risk adhesions or any other nasties that can come from not taking it easy in the early weeks.

regards
Xaviera
Unread 10-26-2002, 10:17 PM
I know what you mean!

Two of my funniest friends came to visit me in the hospital the day after my surgery. They thought they'd cheer me up. It was so painful! Do you know about the pillow trick? Get a small pillow or a very soft stuffed animal and press it against your belly every time you're going to laugh or cough. It really helps! I took my stuffed lion from room to room for the first few weeks.

Best wishes -
- Flo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register