Upcoming hysterectomy 7/26: Overly cautious doc for recovery? No driving or riding in car for 6 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 7/26: Overly cautious doc for recovery? No driving or riding in car for 6 weeks Upcoming hysterectomy 7/26: Overly cautious doc for recovery? No driving or riding in car for 6 weeks

Unread 07-21-2018, 08:22 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 7/26: Overly cautious doc for recovery? No driving or riding in car for 6 weeks

Hi!

I'm going to be getting the da Vinci surgery on 7/26 and I'm reading all sorts of things on how people are being allowed to drive etc as early as one week afterwards.

I can go for short walks etc but driving and rising in a car is off the table for the entire 6 weeks.

I am obese and have type 2 diabetes Which are the only reason I can think of why he's being so cautious.

Did/does anyone else get the same instructions?

Thanks in advance for your help! You all have kept me sane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2018, 10:48 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 7/26: Overly cautious doc for recovery? No driving or riding in car for 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahDreams View Post
Hi!

I'm going to be getting the da Vinci surgery on 7/26 and I'm reading all sorts of things on how people are being allowed to drive etc as early as one week afterwards.

I can go for short walks etc but driving and rising in a car is off the table for the entire 6 weeks.

I am obese and have type 2 diabetes Which are the only reason I can think of why he's being so cautious.

I was told 3 weeks.. 4+ because I drive standard. I'm at 4.5 weeks and have driven down the road.. then pain.. I'm not up to driving yet. Your doctor may just be being realistic.. maybe over cautious.. Did you ask why so long when you've heard of many others getting clearance earlier? Why can't you go for short trips in a car? How are you supposed to get to doctor's appointments? I sit in car while my fiance drives and play Pokemon Go.. sometimes for up to an hour and half. I put a pillow over my belly.
Unread 07-22-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Hi!

Hello! I was released to drive at 6 weeks. I had a complicated TAH/BSO, so that might have had something to do with it. Nothing was ever said about riding in a car. Truthfully though, I had no desire to drive or go anywhere during those 6 weeks. I of course went to my doctor appointments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2018, 06:29 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 7/26: Overly cautious doc for recovery? No driving or riding in car for 6 weeks

I have heard of people not being allowed to drive for that long, but not being restricted from riding in a car. How are you supposed to get home from the hospital and to your follow up appts? Maybe he just means you shouldn’t do long car trips? I would ask for clarification and an explanation.
Unread 07-22-2018, 07:43 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 7/26: Overly cautious doc for recovery? No driving or riding in car for 6 weeks

The same questions occurred to me as to other people: how the heck are you supposed to get home from the hospital? Magic carpet? How are you supposed to get to post-op appointments?

I don't drive and I get motion sick easily, so I minimize trips by car and bus. But even I had a two-hour ride home from the hospital and then a two-hour bus ride to and from the hospital at four weeks for my post-op appointment.
Unread 07-22-2018, 08:09 AM

I'm assuming the car ride home is fine but nothing after. The doc's letter said this-

"...Advises that you don't drive or ride a car for 6 weeks as the twisting movement of getting in and out of the car can lead to stress on the suture line in the vagina. Of course if you have something emergent then of course you would certainly get in the car."
Unread 07-22-2018, 08:33 AM

That makes better sense. It sounds as if you can do the ride home, rides to post-op exams, other rides when absolutely necessary. Just no unnecessary rides. For example, someone else should do the shopping.

People with diabetes tend to heal more slowly than other people, so I'm guessing that this is why your doctor is being extra cautious.
Unread 07-22-2018, 08:48 AM

Okay! Thank you everyone! I feel a lot better now.

I appreciate the help!
Unread 07-23-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming the car ride home is fine but nothing after. The doc's letter said this-

"...Advises that you don't drive or ride a car for 6 weeks as the twisting movement of getting in and out of the car can lead to stress on the suture line in the vagina. Of course if you have something emergent then of course you would certainly get in the car."
Well, That's interesting. I definitely was not comfortable in a car or getting in and out. I think I tried to avoid twisting. I think it was easier to get in by putting my left (as a passenger) leg in first and then siting and pulling in the right leg, keeping my torso mostly straight. There seems to be less twisting that way. I used my arms a lot. In fact, after 6 weeks, I still use my arms to get up and down out of chairs more than I used to. I'm slowly trying to rebuild my muscles, but the up & down has definitely been one of the last pains to go.

Fortunately, we came home after surgery very late at night when there was little traffic, and i was still drugged, so that wasn't bad, but I had to have my catheter removed 4 days p/o and that was a worse trip. It was several weeks before I wanted to spend more than a few minutes in the car. Do take it very easy getting in and out when you need to, and don't go anywhere you don't have to!
Unread 07-23-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Makes perfect sense. I didn't need to twist to get into car (I couldn't open doors till last week) but you can obviously get home from hospital & go to doctor'sappointments. Just no unnecessary riding.. sitting up in the car really takes it out of me.. sounds like you've got a decent doctor. My post op instructions were to 'call for follow up appointment in 6 weeks' that's it.. all the direction I got. I went off what sisters here had said and what the ER OB-GYN told me.. she was shocked.. said 'you know you can't drive for 3 weeks right?' I said no I was gonna try this weekend I drive standard.. she said 'you drive standard?' Then 'it's 4+ weeks because stomping on breaks could rip your vault stitches' and then she told me the rest of post op instructions. I drove to pick up my mom from church yesterday (5 min no traffic mostly straight road) and it was too much. I wouldn't be able to drive with traffic & stop lights & stuff. I asked the nurses before I left about bathing and lifting. They said 'don't do either' and when I said 'so I come back to hospital if I bleed a pad/hour' they said '2 pads/hour' I'm so glad for this site.. the nurses were idiots and my doctor an incompetent idiot. Sounds like you got a good one who gave you a list of what to expect..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register