Have Cancer, Just Sit and Wait? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have Cancer, Just Sit and Wait? Have Cancer, Just Sit and Wait?

Unread 10-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Have Cancer, Just Sit and Wait?

I'm at my wits end. I had my TAH/BSO for cervical cancer on 09/16/02. My path report from hyster was inconclusive on if there was still cancer present. My GYN/ONC talked with another DR and a DR who does radiation therapy. They decided to wait until 3 month check up and see what they found. Well in the mean time, she did a pap and a blood test at my one week post op check up. I returned to work yesterday. Today I was sooo tired that I had to come in late. Well, I was talked to about that by my employer because my six weeks was over! So, I call my DR to see if she'll write up something about what we discussed about the 3-6 months recovery time for what I had done, and she said oh, I'm glad you called. We got some more of your test results back and you do still have cancer! But, we are going to wait to do anything. Of course, this hits me and I don't ask the right questions, but has anyone else just WAITED to let it GROW? What's the deal?!? Can it just disappear on it's own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2002, 01:15 PM
Can You Get Second Opinion?

Can you get a second opinion with another GYN/ONC? I frankly do not know very much about cervical cancer but a second opinion is always an option. I think if I were in your position, I'd feel comfortable telling my doctor I would be getting a second opinion because waiting just doesn't feel right. big
Unread 10-29-2002, 01:47 PM
don't wait

Hi Cindy,

I think I would also want a second opinion, or at least want to know WHY your doctor thinks it is OK to just wait and see for 3 months if they know that you still have cancer. I hope that you get some answers, I know that when you hear that there is cancer there, you want it taken care of, not let's wait and see what happens.
As far as work, I hope that they will work with you to work back up to your regular schedule, I think it takes a GOOD while before you can be considered "back to normal". You will be in my prayers...

TAH for Endometrial Cancer 10/22/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2002, 02:09 PM

s Cindy

Wow!!!! This almost sounds bizarre. Was the doc that gave you that news over the phone your gyn onc? Definitely get a second opinion on the possible treatment from another gyn onc. Maybe go see the radiation oncologist in person. I'm not sure what they are waiting on. How is this remaining cancer showing itself? From the PAP or some pathology report from the original surgery. Get back in touch with your doctor for information. Start writing the questions down now. Keep in touch.

karenann
Unread 10-29-2002, 03:00 PM

Hi Cindy,

I agree that you might consider getting a second opinion. I understand how you would not have thought of the right questions considering the circumstances, so maybe you should call back and talk to him again to find out what the result were.

I'm so sorry that you also have the job issue going on at the same time....too much to have to worry about. Sending some 's your way.
Unread 10-29-2002, 07:16 PM

{{Cindy}}

I can certainly understand why you'd be confused by this and I would definately start with getting some clarification from this Dr. And, as the other gals suggested, get another opinion if you aren't comfortable with this treatment plan.

With your employer, do get your Dr to write up something for you to help. Its very hard to just jump back in and attempt to be at full speed from the get go. I hope you'll get things straightened out on both but more importantly, I hope you are feeling well.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 10-29-2002, 10:15 PM

Cindy. the same thing happened to me after my hyster. I had my hyster in August 2000 , at the 6 week checkup there were abnormal cells still present and my gyn decided to wait until the following Feb. to see what happened. The rest is history ~( read my story ) . If I had my time over , I would not wait at all. even though the experts say cervical cancer is the best cancer to have if you have to have cancer as it supposedly slow growing ... I have proven them wrong. It wont disappear on its own . Get a second opinion. Sending you big hugs and lots of love ....
Unread 10-30-2002, 06:38 AM

(((Cindy)))

I am so sorry you have been given such confusing news. In addition to the suggestion that everyone else has that you see a gyn onc (or a second one), I would also suggest that you consider a second pathology opinion from a pathologist who really specializes in gyn cancers. The good pathologists work with the gyn onc to inform treatment decisions.

In fact, in situations like these (the primary treatment didn't work) I think getting a multi-specialty consult where a gyn onc, pathologist and radiation onc sit down and talk to you together is a good idea.

Dorrie
Unread 10-30-2002, 09:31 AM

Cindy,
I too had a TAH in Aug 02. When the path results came back it showed invasive cancer >3mm. My GYN referred/made an appointment for me to see a GYN/ONC as soon as the results came in which was about 6 days after surgery. I than consulted with the GYN/ONC which route to take. The option's I had was either another surgery to remove surrounding tissue(where the cervix and uterus was)and lymphnodes or radiation therapy for 6 weeks. I choose the surgery. Did have to wait 6 weeks from my hyst to have the second one done. When the path reports came back everything was neg, meaning the cancer did not invade the tissue.
Did your Dr mention the size of the remaining cancer? I know how you must feel, I thought a brick wall hit me.
Like the other ladies said, get another opinion to find out what your treatment option's are and why the wait.
I am off of work since 20 Aug, I know some of my co-workers don't understand why I am not back yet. My HRM told me do not come back before you are ready, but at the same time she is pushing for a return back to work date. Hope this helps you, hang in there.
Andrea
Unread 10-30-2002, 01:20 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies. I did talk to my Dr this morning and her reasoning for waiting is that she feels that she removed the source of the cancer and what is left in the vagina may go away on its own without the source feeding it?!? She said radio therapy can have life long negative effects and she would hate to do it if not needed. Anyway, my dr is a gyn/onc and she's supposed to be one of the best in the country?!? She was recommended to me by a lady who runs the women's center at a different hospital than the one she practices at. There's been several articles published on her. So, will I be able to find a DR that will contradict her? I'm working on finding someone near home with the specialty. And yes, she gave me the news over the phone because I traveled 2 hours to see her and have my surgery because she was supposed to be that good. So, in the meantime she is changing my HRT and anti-depressant all at the same time. I must have come off a little irritated when I talked to her today! She thinks this will help my fatigue problem.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register