Upcoming November hysterectomy for large fibroids; how to deal with the enlarged abdomen /fullness feeling? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming November hysterectomy for large fibroids; how to deal with the enlarged abdomen /fullness feeling? Upcoming November hysterectomy for large fibroids; how to deal with the enlarged abdomen /fullness feeling?

Unread 08-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Upcoming November hysterectomy for large fibroids; how to deal with the enlarged abdomen /fullness feeling?

Hi. New member, due to heaving bleeding, large fibroids and other blod clot substance growths - enlarged uterus,etc , going to have a
hysterectomy but the first date they could give me was November 2! Is that normal? seems like such a long wait - I know it's not really an emergency and not cancer but still seems like a long wait.

anyone have any tips how to deal with the enlarged abdomen/fullness feeling. I look like I'm a couple months pregnant and not getting any better or comfortable...
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2018, 07:33 PM
Re: new here - few questions (hysterectomy for large fibroids; how to deal with the enlarged abdomen/fullness feeling?)

Hi Ljf214 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

When surgery dates are scheduled can be based on many factors, and may be delayed somewhat if there is not a cancer concern or an emergency. While it does seem distant, November is really not that far off - it is just three months away.

My surgery was for a very large complex ovarian cyst and numerous, smaller uterine fibroids. I did have a cancer concern, and my surgery was 10 days after I saw the gyn onc. (All was tested in the OR and all was benign). I did not have large fibroids that caused lots of the symptoms you are describing. BUT, we do have lots of ladies on this site. Hopefully some who have experienced fibroid issues will see this post and respond.

In the meantime, we have a large library of Uterine Fibroids Articles that may provide information.

Unread 08-20-2018, 08:34 PM
Re: new here - few questions (hysterectomy for large fibroids; how to deal with the enlarged abdomen/fullness feeling?)

It may seem like a long time but it’s not....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2018, 08:35 PM

When I scheduled my surgery it was almost 2 1/2 months out. Now it’s 4 weeks from today. It’s going by way too fast!!! Use the the time to prepare mentally and physically because it will be here before you know it. Best of luck on your surgery and I hope it heals you! This forum has an adundance of wisdom and information on it!
Unread 08-20-2018, 08:41 PM

Hi! Welcome! I scheduled my surgery at the end of May and it was performed Aug 7. I had a lot of traveling scheduled over the summer so I didn't mind the wait. I'm not sure if that's a long wait or not....

One benefit is that you have lots of time to research and even to get a second opinion if you want. You can make sure you are having the right procedure for you.

I had multiple large fibroids too. This summer I had difficulty with waistbands, bloating, cramping. I gave in to comfort. I went to the thrift store and bought comfy clothes in a bigger size with loose waists. I wear uniforms to work and by the time my surgery rolled around I was down to one or two pair of pants that were comfortable. It was miserable. I was really contemplating shopping in the maternity section. Now I'm happy to have the bigger clothes because I'm two weeks post-op TAH and still enjoying the roomier waists. Yoga pants and sundresses are my best friends.

I'm not sure about you but I noticed my fibroids would make my life miserable for a week or two after any pelvic exam/gyn appt.

You may want to consider a binder to see if having more support helps. My fibroids were not a big fan. But I love having my binder now 2 week post-op.

Fibroids made my life miserable. My surgery was so much easier than I ever anticipated. I wish i would have done it years ago. Best of luck to you!
Unread 08-21-2018, 06:31 AM

and greetings from a fellow fibroid sister!
For me, it was a total of 5 months from the time my family doctor made the call for surgery until I had it. This gave me time to research the many questions I had, and to work on preparing for it; this site was a huge help in those respects. I have poor stomach motility, which already makes me prone to bloating and fullness, and having a uterus the size of a 22 week pregnancy pressing on my stomach didn't help; I'd feel stuffed after breakfast! I switched to small, frequent meals, and minimized or avoided hard to digest foods; that includes red meat, legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, pears, prunes, and artificial sweeteners. I also kept reminding myself that soon it would be all over, as it will be with you. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 08-21-2018, 09:57 AM

I had large fibroids also. I was diagnosed in April 2017 and the surgery didn’t happen until September. I was terribly uncomfortable and did start wearing larger loose fitting clothes. The fibroids pressed on my bladder so I thought I was incontenent. It was easier for me to buy Depends due to ease of bending and stretching and moving around in general to grocery shop etc. Also with the fibroids pressing my colon I would become constipated. With those issues plus the fibroids taking up room for my stomach too, I started eating a lot more healthier! We went to Golden Corral and I started with salad, beets on the side, had a cup of soup, then a lot of veggies!
I bought a bottle of Phillips milk of magnesia but knowing what I know now I should have started the Colace then.
Hemmroids can be a problem during constipation.
I had been eating so healthy that when I did finally have the surgery my numbers were better than they had been in 8 years. Hope this helps!
Unread 08-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Upcoming November hysterectomy for large fibroids; how to deal with the enlarged abdomen /fullness feeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljf214 View Post
Hi. New member, due to heaving bleeding, large fibroids and other blod clot substance growths - enlarged uterus,etc , going to have a
hysterectomy but the first date they could give me was November 2! Is that normal? seems like such a long wait - I know it's not really an emergency and not cancer but still seems like a long wait.

anyone have any tips how to deal with the enlarged abdomen/fullness feeling. I look like I'm a couple months pregnant and not getting any better or comfortable...
Thanks
Hi new member welcome!! My surgery date is scheduled for Sept 4th and I truly understand the fullness feeling! My Dr said that my biggest fibroid is the size of an newborns head so I understand the look of pregnancy.

I hope this helps
Unread 08-21-2018, 04:15 PM

My surgery was scheduled June 25th for August 16th. Waiting was terrible. I was so anxious and worried. I remember my doctor saying he had to find a day that the equipment (davinci) was available and not in use by another doctor. I also had a 4-month size pregnant stomach due to fibroids. I started cutting dairy and caffeine out. It helped some but not a lot. I really think it was the location of my fibroids that caused my agony not sure if it was size or if both size and location played a part. I mostly wore pull on pants and tops that really hid my stomach. I’m now 5 days post op and doing pretty good. Best wishes to you and November will be here before you know it!
Unread 08-21-2018, 05:22 PM

Boy I can sure relate to your post. I too had huge fibroids...18-20 week size uterus, horrible periods, miserable pressure and bloating, clothes not fitting and weight gain, etc. etc. I got so tired of feeling like I barely ate any food but then feeling so stuffed like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner and not being able to lose weight no matter how much I exercised or how little I ate.

I also felt like I had to wait forever before I got my insurance straightened out and then finally found a doctor who would leave my cervix....it all took months and months. Some days I literally felt like crying and like I just couldn't do it anymore. But hang in there, you have a light at the end of the tunnel! Try to read as much as you can ( what kind of hysterectomy will you be having? Are you removing cervix and ovaries or leaving, etc), eat small meals, wear comfy clothes and think how wonderful you will feel once it's all over.

I had my surgery July 30, abdominal hysterectomy and left my ovaries and cervix. My recovery has been amazing, truly. I cannot begin to tell you how WONDERFUL I feel to not have that huge uterus or those horrid periods anymore. So hang in there and know that your time is coming very soon!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register