going back to work??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

going back to work??? going back to work???

Unread 10-29-2002, 05:47 PM
going back to work???

Hi sister,
I have a question that I know many of us wonder about, I am having my surgery next Wednesday and I am to return back to work a week later, I am having a complete and a lift all at once, what are some peoples experince with this issue, I have a sit down job and I don't have to lift anything so that's good, but I do have a to sit 45 minutes to drive to work and I sit in front of a computer all day, HELP.... I am having to take my vacation time to do this surgery since I just had a baby just over 6 months ago, so all my short term is used up.... AHHHH

Thanks all
Danielle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2002, 06:34 PM
going back to work???

Danielle, going back to work one week after any type of hysterectomy is not a good idea. I understand you have no more disability time but have you looked into the Family and Medical Leave Act? Please check out this link http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/ to see if your employer is eligible.

You don't list which type of hyst you're having but chances are at one week post op you will not be able to sit up for very long which could be a big problem since you have a desk job. I can't stress enough how important it is to get plenty of rest for several weeks after surgery so you heal properly, especially internally.

Please, please look into other options for yourself.
Unread 10-29-2002, 06:57 PM
Hi Danielle,

Usually, the recovery time for a hysterectomy is anywhere from four to eight weeks. Returning to work one week post-op is not a good idea. I don't even think you could get a release from your doctor to go back to work so soon. You'll still have a lot of pain meds and anesthesia in your system, and may not even be released to drive yet. And sitting is considered an activity that you will want to restrict to short (15 to 20 minute) periods of time.

I went back to work half days at 5 1/2 weeks after a TAH, and even after that length of time, I had a very difficult time sitting in my chair at my desk for several weeks.

Please check out the link Allison recommended, and do your body a favor and don't make any plans to return to work until your body is up to it. You only get one chance to heal right, and you wouldn't want to do anything to set back your recovery.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2002, 07:03 PM
going back to work???

Danielle--
Hysterectomy is major surgery, no matter what procedure is done---abdominal or laparoscopic. It is a given that you will need 4-6 weeks to recover. It is major surgery and it just takes some time to heal and get your energy back. Please talk to your employer about getting adequate time off. I cannot stress enough that you will need at least 4 - 6 weeks to get back on your feet. It is unrealistic and dangerous to go back to work after one week.

Best wishes and 's
Unread 10-29-2002, 07:12 PM
going back to work???

Hi

Did your doctor tell you that you can return to work in a week???? If you are having either a Total Abdominal or Vaginal Hysterectomy I cannot believe your doctor will release you at one week to go back to work even though you have a sit down job. I couldn't even sit at my dining room table at one week post op let alone sit at work. I returned to work at 5 weeks post op & problably could have used another 1 or 2 as I was sore and tired (I have a sit down job too). I wouldn't rush it as you only have one chance to heal properly and could face a future repair surgery if you rush your return to work. See if your employer will allow you to work from home for at least a few weeks in order to get your strength back. I worked from home for 4 weeks and received most of my pay since I was doing my job. Just a suggestion.

Best of luck with your surgery & remember your princess training: short walks, plenty of water & lost of rest
Unread 10-29-2002, 08:12 PM
Great question

Danielle:

I am sorry to say I do not have an answer to your question but find myself in the same situation. I too have a sit down job.. I drive over an hour to work. I am taking a Medical Leave of Abscence. Florida has a law in place so I am entitled to up to three months leave without the loss of medical benifits and my job. I dont get paid for the time off but I cant see myself going back to work a week after.

I just had a laprscope procedure and needed a week off. I dont think your doctor will release you that soon. Check into all your options before you rush yourself back to work. YOu might be elegible for short term disability if you have it with your insurance plan. From everything I have heard here from fellow sisters you need more then a week to get back up on your feet. I hope some of the princesses will be able to assit you. Have you disccused this time frame with your doctor maybe he can give you an idea how long he thinks you need for recovery.
Hope you find an answer that will help you.
Unread 10-29-2002, 08:43 PM
going back to work???

Hi sisters,
Thanks for all the feed back, I know that I need to get more rest than I am expecting to get, but the fact remains I don't have the ablitiy to take unpaid time off. I am hoping that I have a quick recovery. I'm very nervous about all of this, not only the surgery but taking time off work, I may end up taking an extra few days, the good thing is that my surgery is on a Wednesday and I am not schduled to return until the following Wednesday, I do have a bit more vacation time built up, so I may take it. I think even 4 more days might help.
You are all in my prayers and I thank you for all your help and support
Danielle
Unread 10-29-2002, 08:47 PM
going back to work???

I have an extremely flexible job and an extremely understanding boss. I went back to work for 1 - 1 1/2 hr a day after the first week. I came in after I woke up and I left when I got tired. I would not use an alarm clock. I didn't get up until I FELT like it.

Let me tell you what I could not do-
1. Drive myself to work or home/ it's just not safe even if you are not on pain killers, you just can't react quick enough.
2. Sit, stand, or walk for a long time. When I hit the 4 hr. mark of being upright I was thrilled. You need to recline and put your feet up.
3. Stay awake. I needed naps until about 4 wks. post op.
4. Think clearly. Brain Fog hits and it seems to last quite a while.

You really need to plan to stay off work longer. Believe me, my Dr. is amazed at how quickly I have recovered and after 1 week there was no chance of returning back to work on a full-time level. Listen to the sisters- they speak from experience.
They have a lot of knowledge- a lot more than I do. I sure hope some of their suggestions will help you.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register