Should I be this depressed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I be this depressed? Should I be this depressed?

Unread 10-30-2002, 09:17 AM
Should I be this depressed?

Hi All,

I'm 3 weeks post op today, finally got my path report back and there was no residual cancer and all my lymph nodes looked good. Sooo, I should be jumping up and down and shouting from the roof tops. The reality is that I'm not feeling nearly as grateful as I should, and mostly I just want to cry all the time. My mom left today after being here with me to be moral support and help out with my kids (3yrs and 1yr). I'm not feeling like I can deal with them by myself right now, so her leaving just makes me want to cry more. My DH is wonderful, but he's in the Air Force, and is at work all the time, and when he's not at work, he's at school. (getting his masters) Should I be this depressed when it looks like my bout with cancer is over? Is it just a hormonal thing? I've read here about overies "going to sleep" after surgery. Should I talk to my doc about hormones or prozac or something? Anyone else get depressed after surgery? or do I just need to buck up and deal with life? I'd love to hear what you all have to say. Have a great day.
s
Tena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2002, 09:43 AM

(((Tena)))

Feeling depressed is pretty common during recovery. At three weeks people do tend to expect you to start being normal. And it is too early for that.

I too had to take care my little kids after my hyst - I did have a preschool option and some neighbors. Any chance you could arrange for some help. At 3 weeks an afternoon nap or rest period is still a good idea for you. Please don't try to do too much. If you have the kids, you can't make great dinners or keep house too much. Don't get down on yourself for that.

Cancer changes the way some of us look at life. We realize we are not invincible and that can lead to feeling down.

Yes, it could be hormonal too. Ovaries can stop working (for a while or forever) after surgery. Some women also get bad PMS type symptoms after their hysts.

Yes, you should talk to your doctor. Many ladies here have found anti-depressants to be helpful, but they are not for everyone. Why don't you see if you can get an appointment with your doctor before your 6 week check?

Let us know how you are doing.

Dorrie
Unread 10-30-2002, 09:53 AM

Tena,
congrats on your results.
It must be hard for you right now to recover and to take care of the two little once. Do you have a support group on base thru your husbands unit or hospital? They might be able to help out for a few hours babysitting. It is difficult being in the military and not to have family around that can stop by for a few hours and help out. My husband retired after 20 years and it seems everytime I needed him he was either deployed or in school.
Think positive, this will pass. Don't let the loneliness take over. There is a at the end of the tunnel.
Andrea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2002, 12:54 PM

s Tena

I think how you are feeling right now is perfectly normal. You have just weathered a major life crisis that involved major surgery as well. Allow yourself time to heal physically and emotionally.
I would suggest you look for some help with the kiddies. You probably should not even be picking them up yet.
Congrats on your great news and remember to be patient with yourself.

karenann
Unread 10-30-2002, 02:34 PM

Hi,

I felt depressed after my TVH even though the path results said that they got the cancer. I also have 2 young children. Having a hysterectomy is physically and emotionally draining, not to mention dealing with the fact that you had cancer. There is also the hormone issue. I actually went to a therapist for a few months after my hyster to talk out some of my feelings. Feel free to email me if you ever need to talk.
Unread 11-03-2002, 07:24 PM

{{Tena}}

I can't add alot to what the other gals have already said but did want to share some 's with you.

Please allow yourself to go through whatever emotions you might have and however long it takes you, there is no timetable.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register