More Surgery? I Need Advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More Surgery? I Need Advice More Surgery? I Need Advice

Unread 10-31-2002, 09:32 AM
More Surgery? I Need Advice

Hi Sisters! I just got in to work this morning after seeing my GYN for my Trans-Vag. U/S. He hit the magic spot where I am super tender and as I suspected, another loop of intestine is pulled down out of place by these stupid adhesions. It is very low on my right side. He said the loop being pulled out of place would cause radiating pain throughout my abdominal/pelvic area and that would explain the pain being under my right rib cage, etc. I also told him that, although I am not having incontinence, when my bladder gets full now, it seems to do so very quickly and rather than just a tickle, it feels like an over-inflated water balloon and the intense pressure hurts until I urinate. He said this sounds like the adhesions have wrapped the bladder. There seems to also be some involvement on the left side as well, although he didn't elaborate on it.

Long story short, he wants to do surgery on November 12th (Lap) and find out what is going on. When I asked, "will this get worse?" he said "probably" or "it could" - by now I was numb. I knew surgery was a possibility, but I wasn't ready to hear it. I can also choose to wait and keep taking pain meds., but the constant discomfort, pain and swelling, especially on the right side, is making me one unhappy camper. I also wonder what the pain meds are doing to my other internal organs (liver, etc.). Okay, what do do? I wonder since my intestines and bladder are involved, should I have another surgery or wait? He also said although no miracle cures for adhesion barriers have come out, there are several things he could try and he would certainly do so. He said it had been about 2 years since my last surgery and that was good, but he knows I would prefer never to have surgery again. He did say I seem prone to developing these wonderful things. I have to wonder if my right leg pain and back pain might also be caused by these monsters - if they have wrapped a nerve or something. His nurse suggested something for my nerves for the hives which showed up again. I might have to ask my allergist for some type of medication for the hives down the road. There are so many things wrong right now that no one can figure out and I'm always scared of surgery anyway - the "what-if's" bother me.

Right now, surgery is scheduled for November 12th unless I cancel it. I cried all the way back to work not knowing what to do since there are no guarantees. I need some advice, dear Sisters....

Lisa

By the way, my Rheumy's office just called. They said he can see me in December. He doesn't treat Fibro, he just diagnoses you for it and refers you to someone else (pain mgmt. - sounds familiar?) I told her I would have to call her back - I'm too overwhelmed right now as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2002, 10:18 AM

((Lisa)),
I understand your hesitancy in undergoing another surgery exp. since it hasnt helped before. Also, being concerned about Pain meds, just a note on those, the thing that will do the most damage is acetiminophen. It is in Tylenol, Lortab, and a variety of other Pain relievers The long-acting meds, many of us take here( OxyContin, MSContin, Duragesic Patch) have no long-term side-effects as in organ damage. The max dose of Tylenol is 4500 mgs a day, anything over that can cause damage and start up toxicity...that is 1 reason many PCP's, Gyn's will refer you off to Pain Mgmnt because of the need to presribe schedule 2 meds( no added motrin, Tylenol, Acetom.) that they are not comfortable with and most importantly have little knowledge of long-term use. You know the pro's and con's of more surgery for Adhesions exp in your situation where you are more prone to forming them. This is a decision only you can make and you will make the right one you feel is best for you. Good Luck Lisa, I would like nothing more than to see you pain-free as I know you would as well. Big ((hugs)) Dear Friend, please keep us posted on what you decide and know your Sisters will be here for you on any decision you make....
Unread 10-31-2002, 11:01 AM

Lisa:

Big 's

I'm sorry that you are having to make this decision about surgery - I understand how you feel, its a hard one. Here is what I would do - I would tell the dr. that I need more time to think about what I want to do. YOU are the one who has to live with the end result of whichever you decide to do. Of course you should listen to what your dr. says, but in the end, you will have to decide. Most of the time in these situations we are given a choice - except for in life threatening situations.
And you know all the pros & cons of this surgery. You just need to follow your instinct - & I'm sure you will make the right decision for *you*.
I hope & pray that whatever you decide - you will soon be pain-free & living life to the fullest

Susan

PS - I am on MS Contin 2x a day & it has no acetaminophen in it so I dont have to worry about my poor old liver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2002, 11:04 AM

Thanks Sheri - I was worried about that Motrin 800 which I am taking now. I had heard some of those pain meds. could really do a number on you after a while.

I worry about pain meds. in general, even from a PM doctor since I can take a child's dose and have horrible side effects. My GI doctor gave me anti-spas. meds. for the intestines and I was having panic attacks, etc. at 10 mg. I wonder what a good dose of pain meds. would do to me? Anyway, gotta take care of something at work, but I so do appreciate your post and support. I'm still undecided on this, but I have a few days to think it over. The support is so wonderful as I seem to be lost this time - I am just numb and I'm having trouble processing the idea of surgery again. I will say this - my GYN was so very nice at my appt. and for that, I am grateful beyond words.

Sending s!

Lisa
Unread 10-31-2002, 11:39 AM

{{{{Lisa}}}}
I'm sorry sweetie, but yet am happy that the gyn found something and was nice to you. No one but you can make the decision about surgery. I know it's not an easy one to make, but only you know how much more pain you can handle.

As for the pain meds, so far I really do like the duragesic patch, especially with my sensitve , and once I can get past these side effects. Stupid me, stopped it thinking I could handle the pain until my surgery. Well, I couldn't. Since starting back on the patch my pain has went from a 9-10 to a 5. I even have a little bit of spunk in me.

Do let us know what you decide.
Unread 10-31-2002, 12:03 PM

Thanks Susan and Kim! I hate being so undecided about something. One part of me knows that there is no guarantee the problem won't surface again, yet another part of me says "go for it - it might work this time." I am so tired of living with this chronic right-sided pain from my ribs on down. It really encompasses the enire abdomen and pelvic area and the thought of it being gone sounds so good. Even when I take meds., it just takes the edge off temporarily. I'm so tired of starting each day with this adhesion pain.

I wonder if I should let him take a "look see" to find out if something else is going on since none of my other doctors seem to be concerned. The thought of another IV and waking up with more puncture wounds does not excite me (especially the IV - how crazy is that?), but I would welcome 1 day without this pain. Yep, I'm still wavering on this one. :confuse:

Thanks for being there - I really do appreciate it!

Lisa
Unread 10-31-2002, 12:57 PM

sorry sweetie, apparently I'm brain dead I forgot again to look at that name of that drug the allergist gave me last night.....of course I was in bed by 7:45 so that might have something to do with it I promise to look tonight I"m writing myself a note as we speak!!

As far as more surgery.....well only you know if you can continue handling this level of pain, and only you know if you can handle more adhesions if they come back...

..for me it was a case of ceasing working forever and lie on the couch or try to do something about it.......it was a risk I was more then willing to take......and although I am highly supersticious about saying anything outloud......if you could be so kind to read between the lines.........I am at work and I'm not lying on the couch (there I should be able to get that past the god's of pain!) you know what I mean.....I hope!

the possibility of having a normal life again was worth it for me to go through it again and only you can make that decision.......just remember we are all here for you no matter what you decide ok? 's

feel free to PM me if you have any questions you want to ask.
Unread 10-31-2002, 01:38 PM

Thanks Gidge and don't you worry about the name of that med! I want you to get some rest and get well - that is the most important thing so I'm glad to hear you are getting some .

I am thinking I have two options here. 1) I can wait it out, keep taking the Motrin 800mg and hope things don't get worse. The loop of intestine/bladder adhesions(?) has me worried to some degree, but so far things are operational and I'm only dealing with the pain part of it all. I can see my Rheumy in December and if he refers me to pain mgmt. (UGH!) for the Fibro, I can also ask him about PM for the adhesions provided an obstruction doesn't occur in the meantime or 2) I can have the Lap surgery, pray like heck it works this time and tell my wonderful GYN to use every barrier he can get his hands on to try and prevent them from coming back. I guess I could give up after this surgery if they return again.

I just feel so guilty. I haven't had my b/p checked by my PCP like I was supposed to. My readings have been good and I take it at home. I haven't contacted my GI doctor (he was supposed to call me) as nothing he gives me for spasms helps at all. It just makes me sicker. Now I'm asking to go back to the Rheumy and he will offer pain mgmt. or PT and I don't want PT as it is too painful due to the adhesions. What a vicious circle this is. I think I could feel better if I could do the exercises for the Fibro that they taught me at PT, but only if I can get past the adhesion pain to do them. Hey, maybe I just answered my own question.....???

Anyway, thanks for your support and kind words. I certainly hope you continue to feel better. I love my Sisters!

Lisa
Unread 10-31-2002, 02:03 PM

I think you did just answer your own question.....I know at least for me prior to this surgery it was the one single thing that was stopping me from doing EVERYTHING in my life and everything was taking a backseat to the pain.....and while I"m still healing and haven't been able to do any of those things I"ve wanted to yet......it looks as though I might be able to and that makes me very happy! (did that make any sense?)

I do know also that the night before the surgery it dawned on me how horrendous the last 8mths had been and I really couldn't see how I had made it through it, and I decided right then and there if this surgery didn't work that I was going to give up and stop working, I wasn't going to kill myself everyday anymore trying to work through the pain.....

everyone has their limits sweetie and you've been through so much and I for one would just like to see you be able to eat and enjoy life again.......and who knows with the intergel this time??

I don't want to advocate anything too strongly here because we all know there are risks involved, I just wanted to share abit about my recent experiences.......I"ll stop blabbing here.....just remember we're here for you ok?
Unread 10-31-2002, 02:29 PM

Thanks Gidge - I really appreciate the information! I am not certain what type of barriers he would use, but I told him we tried the saline solution and it didn't do the trick. That is when he said he had several things he could try. Heck, try them all I say!

I guess I wonder if PM would work, but I dread the thought of being on drugs from now on and if the intestines are already looped this badly, how can it not get worse? I mean, it has already gotten worse over the last few months. I haven't tried anything stronger than Motrin 800mg and I have been able to function for the most part, but most of the time, I suck it up and trudge forward when I just want to crawl in a hole and hide. I hate to think I may say "no" to one last surgery if that particular surgery has a chance of working. Then again, when do you say enough? I am in constant discomfort, if not all out pain. The intestinal problems continue and now the bladder is joining in. The gas pockets are horrendous. I still can't eat out, I can't eat much without filling up and my right side looks pregnant most of the time now. I have back pain and leg pain that could be unrelated, but who knows? My Fibro can't get better without exercising unless I'm on drugs from now on and my system certainly won't like that. What a choice! I have become accustomed to hurting and that makes me sad!

Anyway, through with my pity party for now. I'm still being wishy-washy I guess. I am so glad you are feeling better and that you have hope of really living again instead of just surviving each day. I am so happy for you and I pray you get stronger each day.

Well, better get back to work. Co-workers are knocking the door down. Sending s to you Sweetie!

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register