What to do while recouping? Ways to pass time while trying to be a good patient? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do while recouping? Ways to pass time while trying to be a good patient? What to do while recouping? Ways to pass time while trying to be a good patient?

Unread 10-31-2002, 12:08 PM
What to do while recouping? Ways to pass time while trying to be a good patient?

Can anyone give me some good ideas on what I can do as not to get so bored? Its hard enough for me to lay around and do nothing for a day, let alone a couple weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2002, 12:16 PM
What to do while recouping? Ways to pass time while trying to be a good patient?

Sister.....I hate to tell you, but doing anything you Can't do while laying down will take a lot out of you, and your body will Make you lay back down. I've watched every movie I never got to see, done some needle point, crocheted, things like that....things I haven't done since I was 10. I spend more time on the sofa now than anything-or atleast I'm trying....I've caught up on every phone call I didn't make for the past 6 months...can't wait for that bill-I talk to my one HysterSister in Alabama every day.....she's my life line.....there are some amusing web sites out there....wish I had more to offer....I spend MUCH of my time here. Best of luck to you
Unread 10-31-2002, 12:30 PM

Stock up on books you want to read.

If you're a needleworker, stock up on those kinds of projects.

Avoid re-watching your favorite movies and videos before surgery. Save them for after.

If you have a laptop, set it up by your bed on a little table. That way you can surf the net and play on this board from bed. I ran a phone cord from my home office across the living room ceiling to the bedroom so I wouldn't trip over it.

And believe me, you'll get used to laying around. I sure did. The first weekday morning after I got home from the hospital, I felt totally at a loss for what to do, because I'm normally SO busy with work and things. I thought I was going to go stir crazy, but I really haven't, not much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2002, 12:46 PM

Watching TV, reading, listening to CD's were my days for about 8 weeks. My fiancee though came up with game afternoon. A few times a week (if I wasn't napping), he would get a game out we hadn't played in forever, or we would make up new card games. We even played jax! He asked everyone we knew pre-op what kind of games they had, so we borrowed a ton. I am lucky in the aspect that he is a stay at home hubby, because of being on disability. I thought this was the most awesome time off I've ever had. Being with him so much really made me not want to come back to work. Noe I'm looking into going back to school so I can do something from our home. Good luck and check out the movies post in pre-op!
Unread 10-31-2002, 01:01 PM

Hi!

Here is a link to a thread you should check out - it has lots of great ideas:

Beating Boredom

Be good, pamper yourself!

s
Unread 10-31-2002, 03:45 PM

Funny I thought I would go crazy with boredom too but here I am 4 weeks post op and loving it! I too am a superwoman always on the go. I have never been so relaxed and stress free in my life who would have thought that surgery could do that!!!!

I did one project on the couch for three days. Before my surgery I got every set of pictures laying around the house together, bought several photo albums and put it all together in a big rubbermaid. It took me three full days to put away over 1500 pictures into albums. It took me a day just to organize all the pictures by years! I used to be good at putting our photos away but guess I did not do it for the last few years! It was a great way to lay on the sofa, I laughed alot at all the pictures (most were from vacations!). You won't want to read a book for the first two weeks as you will have a short attention span. Lots of magazines are good and 1/2 hour shows!

I also spent time on the computer and after the 2nd week started to work at home. Also everything goes alot slower. It takes me a hour to take a shower and make the bed!

Enjoy the mental time off and the physical part will take care of itself. Also don't do too much just cause you feel better I learned that lesson the hard way!!!
Unread 10-31-2002, 05:41 PM

Hi Peaches

I called a friend at work who belongs to 5 book clubs and got a couple of bags of books to keep me busy- I have beading projects and a big cross-stitch project - which is for Christmas so I am motivated to get it done soon. It took 2-3 few weeks for me to be comfortable enough to sit upright for long to be on the computer, but now - Im indulging in sooo much internet time I keep telling myself that its OK...Im finding lyrics to my favorite songs, chatting with friends, looking up bead designs, oh and playing the Mini Putt game! Try to get 29....

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/minigolf.html

Enjoy!

Sheri_lp
Unread 10-31-2002, 05:50 PM

Hi Christy
Books (I've gone through 6 so far) and magazines. Make sure the books are paperbacks (hardcover are too heavy and you won't want to rest them on your bellie) and are lighthearted and/or gripping (mysteries have been good for me). DON'T read anything that may be depressing (you'll end up weeping). Magazines shouldn't be too big. Start with people & us etc, then as your attention span and strength increases you can move up to Architectural Digest.
I alternate my time between sitting up at the computer (90% of my computer time is on this site) and lying on the couch reading. For my first walks I just changed rooms for variety. Bedroom to family room to living room and back.
Good luck!
Unread 10-31-2002, 11:21 PM

Hi there.

All of the girls have wonderful ideas. I love hanging out on this site when I can, although I had to have my son hook up his laptop for me cuz I can't get off the couch. I have also been doing a lot of sleeping, reading, watching tv and movies, and lately I have decided to try to begin writing children's books. I love to write (although the brain fog makes it a little difficult) and like dgronauer, my hubby is disabled and home all the time. I had to get a full-time job when he became unable to work, so that we had insurance and stuff for all of us. But now that I'm home again, I'm trying to think of ways to stay home after the surgery instead of going back to work. Another fun thing might be to make crafts or things like that for Christmas gifts. Nothing strenuous of course, but small things like ornaments or candles or pretty stationery. I also considered making pretty place markers for Thanksgiving Dinner, since I won't be able to contribute much more than that. Have fun, whatever you do.... enjoy the time and take good care of yourself. Love, Missy
Unread 11-01-2002, 05:13 PM

I haven't had my OP yet but I'm preparing for it, I found hundreds of thousands of books at the Library, I wrote down the titles and numbers so when I get so many to read, my DH can take these back and get more. They also have lots of videos & music CD's. All for FREE<<>>
I got some cool puzzles, a drawing pad with a how to draw book dogs, I like to draw but never anytime to it and cross word/find the word books.
Going to bring up all the old home videos (hundreds) and watch them all.
My surgery isn't until Dec.20th so I thought I could buy 1-2 magazines a week then donate them to the hospital or nursing home to read after I'm done with them. When I'm well enough to sit at the computer, I have alot of recipes I want to put in a recipe program on my computer. That will take a year!!
Just some different thoughts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register