Swelly Belly and Sore belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Belly and Sore belly Swelly Belly and Sore belly

Unread 10-31-2002, 02:36 PM
Swelly Belly and Sore belly

I know this is not a new topic but I need to discuss my feelings about how I look and feel. My surgery was April 18, 2002 (TAH, and both overies removed). My belly is still swollen enough to prevent me from getting in most of my clothes. I haven't gained any weight (I fluctuate up and down 3 pounds), but I am still 2 inches away from getting in my jeans and most of my pants. My belly is sore from the belly button down, in pretty much a straight line. I go for a check up Nov. 13, but the last time I asked my doctor about the size of my belly he said it was probably just gas. I'm quite sure that it isn't gas that's causing all this swelling. I am very fatigued. I work all day, am unable to sleep, and for the most part feel quite down. I don't have any interest in anything and have a very short fuse. I am currently taking Estracte 1 mg. per day.

Can anyone give me some advice and or encouragement

thanking you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2002, 02:41 PM

Hormone problems can cause bloating. Maybe SurferBabe will come along and give you some advice and links. But if you do a search, I'm sure you'll find lots of information. Hormones can also affect your sleep habits. Have you visited the Hormone Jungle on this site? Hope this helps!
Unread 10-31-2002, 07:53 PM

It does sound like maybe your hormones could use a little tweeking. You might want to visit the hormone jungle and read some of the info they have there.

I am one month behind you and have still got some swelling, and I don't have gas either! My surgeon says it is from the muscles being stretched so much during surgery. It is kind of like getting your belly back to flat after having a baby. It takes awhile.

Good luck, hope they find something to help you feel better soon.

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2002, 09:29 PM

Hi Ivy! I think there are two things going on here: one is the actual fact that your belly is swollen and you're feeling fatigued, and the other is your emotions and self image around this.

It sounds like the 1mg of estrace may be too much for you. Here is a link to a list of symptoms of too much/too little estrogen/progesterone:

too much/too little

You may want to talk to your DR about maybe trying to use a slightly lower dose and see if you feel a little better. Also the other ladies are right, a visit to the Jungle might be a good thing for you.

Now, about the feelings you're having about how you look right now... I had my surgery in February and I still haven't lost my swelly belly, which I guess I can't really call swelly belly anymore. Oh well. I still feel more beautiful than I ever have at any time in my life. Yeah, I had to go buy new pants. To keep the old ones that are too small from upsetting me every time I saw them, I boxed them up and put them in the attic. Maybe they'll come back down some day, maybe they won't. I am more interested in trying to do the best I can with the way I am now. I'm lucky, my DBF helped me a lot here... he told me right after the surgery, when I was feeling really HUGE, that he didn't care, that as long as I was going to be alive that was what mattered to him, and to him I looked perfect. I carry that around with me every day. I would like to give a little bit of it to you now. You are an amazing creation of nature, just the way you are!

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-01-2002, 07:07 AM
Thank all of you for your feedback

Thank you all so much for taking the time to send me your advice and helpful tips. I had a look at the 'too much too little' site and will bring the info with me for my next doctor visit. I am having most of the symptoms of too little, the mood swings, sleeplessness, etc.
Unread 11-02-2002, 04:29 PM

Hi Ivy!

You are not alone! I had my surgery 4/4/2002 and I
still have a swelly belly and tugging, and a little pain! I've
just started back to the gym to do some swimming, but still
spend more time driving there than I do in the water!
Crunches for me are out of the ?? right now, maybe in a
few weeks, hang in there.... you've got time on your side!

This is a great forum to learn, I signed up before my surgery,
and was a great lurker, now, being that we all heal diffrently
maybe I can set your mind alittle at ease that what your feeling
is normal, but please ask your Doc, as I can only speak from
my own swelly belly! God Bless!

lil'elf

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register