allergy to liners? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

allergy to liners? allergy to liners?

Unread 11-09-2002, 09:18 AM
a bit better

Just an update...well Linda I got the natural liners and I seem to be much improved. However the itching and tenderness and swelling that i already had does not seemto be going down. I seriously beleive the liners were the problem but now I can't seem to get releif fromt he damage alrady done. It is not as itchy it is very dore and tender down there from one end tothe other. Is there any other ove rthe counter creams that you or newyorker know of....or anyone else??? I was wondering about the toilet paper...could it be I am sensitive tothat??? Oh Mygoodness that would be really terrible.... I don't know what to do it is even hard to walk as everything rubs together down there...I am quite discouraged ...will I ever get this pain gone? Sorry just having a down day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2002, 09:51 AM
alleric to liners

Hi Corni--I am so sorry to hear that you are still suffering with this. The easy thing to say would be yes, it could be your tp, it could be detergent, or anything else you have been using that comes in contact witht hat area. And it very well might be that. I know after my TVH, which also involved a TVT sling, that area was quite swollen for me. But I didn't go into miserable itchy, scratchy stuff until many, many weeks into my recovery (maybe 10 or 11 I think). I would call my MD (did you lab results come back yet?) and am wondering at what point a dermatologist might need to get involved, if ever. Or maybe the gyn should be able to deal with this. I wish I had an answer for you! I don't know if using something with zinc in it is advisable, since it might interfere with that area being able to breath. I wouldn't touch anything OTC without discussing it with my doctor first at this point. Hopefully, someone will come along with some new suggestions for you. Keep us updated, please. New Yorker
Unread 11-09-2002, 04:03 PM
allergy to liners?

I have had the same problems post-op. I really believe it has to do somehow with our hormonal changes. I also use bleach on whites and white underwear. What I also do is run them through another rinse with liquid fabric softener. This way you get out all of the soap and bleach. Also, I use Gynecort cream (in the feminine protection aisle) for the occasional irritation. I have used other products, including generics, but find the Gynecort is more soothing. I have been wearing liners also because of sneezing and coughing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2002, 07:34 PM
allergy to liners?

I was having a problem when I wore liners while spotting just a bit between weeks 2-4 post op, and developed what felt like a yeast infection, but on the skin that came in contact with the pad at the rear!! VERY annoying and uncomfortable! The day after I quit using the pads, the entire sensation disappeared! I'm glad to know about the natural ones! I know this thread has been going on awhile, so I hope you've gotten relief by now!
Sue
Unread 11-10-2002, 12:47 AM
allergy to liners?

Hi there

Being a multiple allergy sufferer I've suffered the same problem as you with pantiliners (actually pads and tampons too which made life pre menopause rather difficult). From experience I've found three things have helped.

1. NEVER use perfumed toilet paper....only hypoallergenic.

2. Wash clothes with washing powder/detergent with no
dyes or perfumes in them. Be particulary careful with
ones with enzymes in them. Do not use fabric softener.

3. Give the crotch area of your knickers an extra wash under
the tap to really make sure all the detergent is gone. Bit
of a pain this but well worth it.

Since my surgery I'm also having the same problem as Ann mentioned with anything tight especially in the crotch area. Isn't that the weirdest thing. It actually seems to irritate my urethra and I seem to have to pee more often....most peculiar.
Unread 11-10-2002, 10:46 AM
still suffering...yuk

Well the last thing I ever though about with a hyster recovery was this....actually this never entered my mind. The past 2 days have been most uncomfortable. I did not get my lab results back on friday.... so now I have to wait the weekend and it is a long weekend here with Rememberance Day. Sheesh ...I am just counting down the hours till tuesday morning. DH is so frustrated but supportive...he jsut says he feels so helpless. he wanted to go to emerg last night but I said no...I have already been to 2 docs on this and they didn't help me so I will wait till tueday where I will go to gyn or my md. Also it is most humiliating to show the docs...altho I am at the point where I don't care ...I just don't want bad advice again...they will give me antibiotic when it is really not needed....just have to wait till the lab results... untill then i will look for the gynecort (cortate is okay) that norway lyn recommended and try to keep comfortable...I am also getting rid of all fabric softener and haven't ahd a pad or liner on for 5 days now....I will keep trying! Thaks all of you for all fo your ideas and support
Unread 11-10-2002, 03:10 PM
allergy to liners?

I still use fabric softener, but use it in a second rinse. Since I have my own washer and dryer in my apartment, I let the machine go through the regular rinse cycle. Then I re-set the machine to do another rinse. That's when I put in fabric softener. I only use dye-free detergent (ALL) and DOWNY FREE fabric softener. I have not used the others for more than five years. I don't know if you can use Cortaid on your "girly parts." Read the instructions. I only use Gynecort now. If I can't find it (most stores carry it--including my grocery store), I then buy another cream sold in the area where they sell tampons and pads. Summers' Eve has one with aloe which is soothing, but I always go back to Gynecort.
Unread 11-11-2002, 08:50 AM
feeling relief today...

Just wanted to update here for a qucik minute. Well yesterday DH and re-washed all bedding, underwear, clothes...(mine) towels and any other thing I would come in contact with. Along with sits bathes in baking soda then in epsom salts(got doc permission) and not wearing panty liners for 5 days I finally feel some releif. Last night was the first night in 7 that I have actually been able to sleep without wincing in pain every time I moved . Today i am actually able to keep underwear on....sheesh....it was a tuff last week but so glad to be feeling better...it is still tender down there but definatley an improvement! Thankyou all so much for all the advice ...I think the combination of cutting out pantiners and fabric softner..and double rinseing things as made the difference! I don't want to celebrate too early but I finally feel human again! Thankyou all!
Unread 11-11-2002, 10:36 AM
allergic to liners

Hey Corni--So glad to hear there has been improvement for you! Did you get the results back from the lab on the micro urine work up? Keep us posted. New Yorker
Unread 11-11-2002, 04:26 PM
allergy to liners?

Hi Cornelius

So pleased to hear you're getting somewhere at last. I truly sympathise with you as I've been that road myself. Sometimes it's a combination of things that cause the problem which makes it that much more difficult to find the culprit and track it down.

Another thing worth thinking about is what you're using to wash yourself in the shower. This was a biggy for me until I clicked to it. Make sure you keep all "soap" away from your nether regions. I rely just on water flowing over this area to clean it...works okay too. Sometimes I think we can get a bit to "clean" orientated and it turns around and bites us in the rear end.

Hope things continue to improve.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register