Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-01-2002, 02:50 PM
Question

Well I got my supra pubic catheter out. Yeah but ouch. They usually have stitches to hold it but they did a balloon for me. But when I asked when I would be done with this dr. they said 5 years from now. Every three months a pap smear for two years then every six for three years. Normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2002, 03:33 PM
Question

s perrycindy

Congrats on getting that suprapubic cathetar out!!! What a relief that must be. Now keep drinking those liquids.
My own cancer was different than yours, but your followup schedule kinda sounds like the norm. My PAP is only every six months, although I get checked every three months. Ladies in a like situation will be along.
Those three month checkups are a drag and can be scary, but we all do what we have to do and support one another when the time rolls around.
Welcome to the scootch club.
Best wishes to you.

karenann
Unread 11-01-2002, 03:41 PM
Question

Yay!...for getting the cath out.

I was given the same schedule as you for my paps except that after 5 years it will be yearly. As it turned out he switched to every 6 months at about a year. By that time I was so tired of it that I was glad when he said 6 months and didn't question it. I know now that it was foolish of me because if there was a problem it would have been caught a bit sooner. Thank goodness, I'm now coming up to my 2 yr mark.

Sending my best wishes your way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2002, 08:19 PM
Question

I wish that was my schedule for paps.

First year - every two months
2nd year - every three months
3rd year - every four months (this is where I am now)
4th year - every six months
5th year - once a year

Congratulations on getting that catheter out. Wasn't it fun? Less than a week after I got out of the hospital, my suprapubic catheter got clogged up and had to be removed. Somehow when I slept, the tubing kept getting twisted and bent, until finally it wouldn't drain. I had to have it removed (ouch), and the oncologist put in a Foley catheter. I had it almost a month. I was so excited when that got to come out.
Unread 11-04-2002, 01:34 PM
So in all of the follow up paps

have they found anything? My path reports were clear but what of the likelihood of recurrence?
Unread 11-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Question

perrycindy,

So far, all my paps have come back negative. Besides my bladder function, I've not had any problems whatsoever.

What stage was your cancer? Did you have a radical hysterectomy? Just curious, how long did you have to have the catheter?

From everything I've read, the cure rate (my doctor doesn't use the word cure) for cervical cancer--especially if it's caught in the early stages-- is very high. Five years is the milestone we definitely want to reach.
Unread 11-04-2002, 06:17 PM
Question

So far, all my paps have come back negative. Besides my bladder function, I've not had any problems whatsoever.

What stage was your cancer? Were I to guess I would say I was incredibly lucky in a horrid experience. I think I was very very very early stage I of slight to mildly invasive cancer.
Did you have a radical hysterectomy?Yes I did but they didn't get my ovaries I told the dr. if there is no medical reason to take them then you ain't getting them at the age of 39 I wasn't about to go through menopause.
Just curious, how long did you have to have the catheter? Three weeks and it was awful. I know what you are going through and mine has come back okay to a certain point I can still tell it isn't what it was having to pee a lot but better than the tube.

From everything I've read, the cure rate (my doctor doesn't use the word cure) for cervical cancer--especially if it's caught in the early stages-- is very high. Five years is the milestone we definitely want to reach.
That's good to know because walking around for five years with that word in the back of my head is scary. When my dr. told me that I felt that I was punched in the face and didn't see that coming at all. Initially I went to the dr. for a physical because it had been awhile and just felt a little off. THought maybe it was my thyroid or something. Definitely didn't expect this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register