Hospital food...are you on solid food after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital food...are you on solid food after surgery? Hospital food...are you on solid food after surgery?

Unread 11-02-2002, 09:49 PM
Hospital food...are you on solid food after surgery?

I'm sorry for all these silly questions. What do they feed you that night of surgery?...and the next couple of days? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2002, 09:52 PM

My surgery was at 9:30 am --- I was on a liquid diet for the next 2 days (didn't really feel like eating much the first day), but I was dying for real food the second!

z
Unread 11-02-2002, 10:03 PM

I was scheduled for surg on a Wed. morn at 10 am. The day before, doc told me not to eat anything solid after 2 pm, and nothing at all after midnight. After my surg..I was too out of it and in too much pain to even think of food that night, but if I remember right, there was juice there..maybe jello.

The next day(Thurs), I was only allowed juice, broth, and jello untill I passed gas. By that time I was feeling better and getting hungry. Unfortunately I just could not seem to pass the gas! They gave me a bunch of stuff, and finally late that night I had the great passing! So the next morn, Friday, I was alowed a completely normal bfast, and have been eating regular food(in smaller amounts) ever since.

I try to eat very healthy, get some fiber, like cereal, and not miss meals. I avoid spicy things, gas producing foods like brocolli, carbonated soda(if u must have, let it go flat) etc, and drink TONS of water and walk often. Try to avoid too cold drinks also, and no straws. I used peri-colace(lax and stool softener) at first, but when I stopped using vicodin(except on extreme pain) and went to motrin instead, I have been having reg bms.

If I find I am gassy, I take gas-ex. Also, if you do use M of M, they have a new flavor, french vanilla I believe, and it is awesome tasting!

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2002, 11:14 PM

My surgery was a LAVH. I had some water and juice about 3 hours after surgery and was having some toast and soup within 6 hours. Bythe next morning I had a regular breakfast.

Once I got home from the hospital I ate oatmeal, raisins, bran cereals, and drank hot tead and lots of water to avoid constipation.

Take care.

s
Unread 11-03-2002, 07:09 AM

i was at the castle at 12pm, and my surgery finally happened at 4pm

i was on a reg diet the whole time i was in the castle, but i didnt want any of the solid food that was given to me.....i ate a couple of bites of a dinner roll is about it

and have been on solid food ever since
Unread 11-03-2002, 07:19 AM

I had an LAVH and I was on a liquid diet for a day and a half before they gave me solid foods. Surg. on a Friday and my first solid meal was Sat night. Dr told me I could eat what I wanted when I got home but stay away from gassy and binding foods(broccoli, bananas, beans, etc). Didn't have much an appetite for the first few days anyway.
Unread 11-03-2002, 08:29 AM

I think it must vary considerably. My surgery was at 7 AM and was rather long (jsut under 5 hours), but I was out of recovery and in my room by 2 P.M. and I felt like I was starving!

My Dr. had me on clear liquids only for 2 days before surgery, nothing after midnight plus I had to do a bowel prep.

I was given some juice and crackers which I held down without problems when I got to my room, and so I was given a regular diet starting with dinner that night. Now, even though I felt like I was very hungry, the hospital food didn't exactly appeal to me, so I ate lightly until I went home (surgery Fri. morning, home Sun. morning).

Best wishes and s
Unread 11-03-2002, 08:54 AM
Food after surgery

I had liquids the night after my surgery. I had an upset stomach so this was best. My DR. doesn't believe in staying on the liquid diet so I could eat solid food as soon as I was hungry. I started on solid food at lunch the day following surgery. I am 9 days post-op, TAH-BSO, and I have been doing very well.
Unread 11-03-2002, 06:47 PM

I was on a liquid diet until I passes gas. Then it was bland hospital food. YUCK! But, I didn't mind too much. Didn't have much of an appetite for a few days. I ate to get better. Didn't seem to feel like eating quite as much, though, even when things started to taste better.

Take care,

Mongie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register