Scheduled TAH Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16, but I also just got a boil in the wrong place (also have special needs children) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16, but I also just got a boil in the wrong place (also have special needs children) Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16, but I also just got a boil in the wrong place (also have special needs children)

Unread 11-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16, but I also just got a boil in the wrong place (also have special needs children)

So, doctor said he will check, but most probably my hysterectomy for my prolapse, potential adenomysis and potential endometriosis will be this Friday, 16 of November, 2018.

My luck today on Monday, I got a huge boil in the left side of my groin (I get these often due to ingrown hair and bad reaction to food). Will that affect the surgery? Shall I postpone?

I am also living in a country not my own, and English is not their strong suit here, and my Portuguese is pretty basic at this point, so could you also advise me on how best to prepare for this surgery?

I wanted a laparoscopic surgery, but because the doctor is suspecting adenomyosis, he said he'll probably do it as an abdominal one. At first he also said that it would be a vaginal one due to the prolapse, so I'm kinda confused which route he'll take. He said he will try to keep my ovaries, as I am only 32.

Here's to hoping my special needs children won't jump on or kick mommy's belly for these 6 weeks. Oh I am so scared in so many ways about so many things! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Re: I've got a date, but I also just got a boil in the wrong place

Do you have someone to assist you in taking care of the children after surgery? It's quite likely that you're going to need help in this regard.
Unread 11-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Re: I've got a date, but I also just got a boil in the wrong place

Hi CPtechie -

You really should call the doctor and tell them about the boil. They may be able to give you something, but they should know ASAP.

I agree with SurprisedInNB - you will definitely need help with your special needs children. Can family, friends or neighbors help? Here are articles:
10 Tips to Prepare for Hysterectomy Recovery with Small Children
Recovering from Hysterectomy with Small Children

You will also need help with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. You will have lifting restrictions - 10 lbs for 6 weeks and 20 lbs for 8 weeks is common. Can anyone help you out at home? Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2018, 07:31 AM
Re: I've got a date, but I also just got a boil in the wrong place (also have special needs children)

With regards to the language barrier, I would suggest asking if your hospital can provide you with an English/Portuguese translator, who can be present with you during your appointments; you can also ask for recommendations at your local embassy. Best wishes for working out these issues, and for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 11-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Re: I've got a date, but I also just got a boil in the wrong place (also have special needs children)

Thank you all for your replies and good wishes.

Yes, my husband will be working from home to help with the kids.

Thank you for the links, I already read them and hopefully I'm equipped with enough information on how to manage.

I just went to my pre-op appointment today, and I was lucky that both the doctor and anesthesiologist, were speaking good enough English to understand what they were saying.

I showed them the boil, and said it's not a problem, it's far from where the incision is going to be. They were quite funny about the whole thing and very informative, they eased my mind.

I hope all goes well and return back to hopefully a normal life so I can be a proper mother again. I'm still scared but not as much as I was before the doctor's appointment.
Unread 11-13-2018, 01:51 PM

Glad it looks like your hysterectomy will be on schedule and that you were able to talk with your doctors about your concerns.

Perhaps your confusion is because, like me, they will be doing the surgery laparoscopically and delivering (removing) the uterus through the vagina.

Best wishes for an easy surgery and speedy recovery.
Unread 11-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmth View Post
Glad it looks like your hysterectomy will be on schedule and that you were able to talk with your doctors about your concerns.

Perhaps your confusion is because, like me, they will be doing the surgery laparoscopically and delivering (removing) the uterus through the vagina.

Best wishes for an easy surgery and speedy recovery.
Thank you for your wishes. In the pre-op doctor made it clear that due to adenomyosis he will have to do open (abdominal) surgery, like a C-section.
Unread 11-14-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPtechie View Post
Thank you for your wishes. In the pre-op doctor made it clear that due to adenomyosis he will have to do open (abdominal) surgery, like a C-section.
I had a TAH myself. It's a little more involved than a C-section, but I had a pretty easy recovery - no complications, minimal pain. It's a *long* recovery, for sure. I'd suggest that you're going to need the "princess treatment" for more like six weeks than just four.
Unread 11-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
I had a TAH myself. It's a little more involved than a C-section, but I had a pretty easy recovery - no complications, minimal pain. It's a *long* recovery, for sure. I'd suggest that you're going to need the "princess treatment" for more like six weeks than just four.
Thank you. I never had a C-section, so when doctor told me that, I couldn’t exactly understand the gravity of the surgery. But the anesthesiologist did provide good info regards to the incision.

I’m glad to hear you had minimal pain. As I type this, I’m dying from the pain, as if I have a uterus from hell, and it makes me wonder whether I’ll be strong enough to handle the surgical pain. I guess I’m grateful for whatever painkillers they provide, and the fact that whatever pain the surgery gives me, it will at least end at some point. Here’s to hoping for a normal life again.
Unread 11-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16, but I also just got a boil in the wrong place (also have special needs children)

CPtechie don't assume you will have terrible pain from the surgery. Like SurprisedInNB I had a TAH with a vertical incision and didn't really have any pain. I only took ibuprofen for about a week and that was more for my tired back. Recover is longer with a TAH but for me it was easy and complication free. I was able to return to my physical job at 6 weeks, I just paced myself for a few more weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register