Cystocele and Rectocele Symptons - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cystocele and Rectocele Symptons Cystocele and Rectocele Symptons

Unread 12-31-2002, 08:32 PM
Cystocele and Rectocele Symptons

HI ladies,
I have not been here in a while, but I wanted to let those of you with prolapses.. ie.. cystocele, rectocele, entrocele, vault prolapse.. and perineal descent know... that this is common after hysterecomy... There is another site where prolapse is discussed in detail. From the kinds of docs to treatments. if you want to give it a try the link is...
http://groups.msn.com/choiceforprolapse

I know how devistating prolapses can be as I now face my 4th surgery for prolapses since my lavh in March of 2001.
I hope this helps
Ocnjgrl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2004, 05:24 PM
TVH/Cystocele/Rectocele Inability to Sit

I had a TVH on July 8th (5 weeks+ now) and I, too, have been unable to sit (except just today). I started driving the 4th day after the surgery, and got up the same day to walk all around the hospital at normal pace (covering huge distances), but sitting on a normal chair was and is very different than having the foot of foam and the air cushion on top of that that I have set up in the car cabin (can't really set thatup on a regular chair as it doesn't stay put).

The vaginal hysterectomy was wonderful. Overall very little pain and discomfort (mainly the famous pressure of gas that one has after a hysterectomy, which is probably a little worse than pain, given that you can't get rid of the feeling like you can with pain meds - just an uncomfortable feeling that you MUST go both #1 and #2 right now, but also feeling that you won't be able to go for about 2 days). Morphine does not make it better, but it does help you sleep. Then again, it isn't intolerable - just uncomfortable.

I think it is important to have a very EXPERIENCED surgeon. The more experience in all the various techniques, and the more confidence, the better. My surgeon recommended "vaginal" because he said there was the least amount of discomfort and a very quick recovery with that process (he is also expert at laparoscopic surgery). Many surgeons will do a traditional incision simply because they aren't experienced in the other techniques! Vaginal also avoids the shoulder pain that one gets with laparoscopic techniques (from the nerve that extends down into the pelvic region).

I suspect the reason I have had trouble sitting is due to the rectocele and cystocele correction surgeries, which he did vaginally at the same time as the TVH (definitely better to do all this at once!). I had complained about pressure and difficulty going to the bathroom before, but with me tensing up even slightly during pelvic exams, he wasn't able to see the problems outright until he really was in there taking out the uterus. I don't know what grade cystocele/rectocele I had and intend to ask.

I am hoping that this all corrects itself and that I can go back to "life as usual." My life as usual involves being very physical, lifting heavy things, and being very active. I do NOT want to have to be careful (and have not been told, at least yet, that I need to be). Have those of you who had any of these procedures done some time ago found that you have to limit yourselves?

For some reason I had a lot of pain in my bottom (I'm sure related to the hernia operations, and not the TVH) 3-1/2 to 4 weeks after. I asked my GP for a prescription for antibiotics "just in case" (she phoned in a prescription without seeing me because it was late on Friday). I thought I might have an infection and referred pain, possibly from the catheter. It did get a lot better on those, so possibly there was an infection of some sort (if even a needle was passed through the colon and out into surrounding tissues, it could have brought some of the high bacterial count of that area into surrounding tissues). We'll see if it comes back now that I'm done with the prescription...

Overall, the rectocele/cystocele stuff seems like a bigger deal than the hysterectomy itself. He said to me that "this was a very BIG surgery" because I had everything at once, though I did NOT feel that it was terrible even the same day. The surgery took almost 3 hours. However, as time went by, I can see that the rectocele is causing the residual discomfort, and I have worries about the cystocele repair actually LASTING (especially given that it was done vaginally). Apparently there is some stuff in the literature saying that there is some possibility of the abdominal route providing a more lasting bladder suspension, though I'm by no means sure of that (yet!). The bladder and vagina were suspended to the broad ligament via stitches and then the stitches dissolve and the (unlike) tissues do bond to one another apparently.

Have others heard of the difference in the way the cystocele is done as to whether one method or another is more stable? I'm certainly hoping that all this is a once-in-a-lifetime event!

Ingrid

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register