Got my date, *now* I'm scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got my date, *now* I'm scared! Got my date, *now* I'm scared!

Unread 11-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Got my date, *now* I'm scared!

I'll go to the castle on Dec 4. I was all set to get my date and handle everything, now I have my date and I'm irrationally scared to death and crybaby.

They will take my ovaries due to endo, so I'm real real scared too about hormones and dealing with that.

So to buck myself up, I'm making a list of the things I'm looking forward to:
- no more buying camouflage sheets
- no more midnight sheet washings
- no more double waterproof mattress covers
- no more scuttling down the hall at work to see how badly I just overflowed and trying to figure out how I would exit the building gracefully if I had to go home and change
- no more only buying dark pants
- no more constant anemia
- no more carrying extra undees and pants to work, just in case
- I can start swimming again and be able to do it regularly
- I can plan ahead of time to do things and maybe even be able to keep my commitments

And the number one reason I'll be glad is:
NO MORE PAIN (I hope)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2002, 02:39 PM

I just want to give you and encouragement!! If it helps, I am 2 weeks post op, and am doing great so far, and LOVE being a !

The waiting is truely the hardest, so try to keep busy doing things to get ready for surg (and hoilidays), and don't forget to do some fun things for yourself too!

Good Luck!
Unread 11-05-2002, 02:42 PM

Hey Smiley:

Keep making those positive lists! It will get you through. About a week ago I was having to constantly run the pro and con [one more time] to keep myself from cancelling.

I am actually having a peaceful day today.

Hang in there!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2002, 02:48 PM

I know you feel. I'm scared also. I just keep telling myself no more fludded tampons and no more PAIN.
Unread 11-05-2002, 03:02 PM
Thanks, my sisters!

If anyone else has things to add the "happy" list, please do!

It's so great to hear from you ladies who have already been to the castle.
Unread 11-05-2002, 05:24 PM

Smiley:

I will be having a TAH/BSO on Monday, and I'm feeling pretty nervous, too. But, after reading the supportive posts and suggestions and positive results of many of our Hyster Sisters, I'm feeling a little better.....I go for my pre-op tomorrow,and hope that having more information will also help calm my nerves....
From what I hear, it's the waiting that's the hardest part.
Take care and be

CathyK
Unread 11-05-2002, 06:34 PM
Thanks

Hi Smiley,

That was a great list- you know I always wondered if I was the only one who ever did those things!!?? Guess not!! I will not miss any of that either..

Don't be to scared, I actually think- the closer my date is coming the more calmer I feel- I am doing so much to get ready I am going to need a few good days of rest!!

My pre-op is next Tuesday- hope my gyn/surgeon comes back from her vaca in Jamaica or I'm in real trouble!!

Keep the chin up and lots of s

Karen
Unread 11-08-2002, 04:21 AM
Hi Smiley

I am scheduled for surgery on Dec 5th. I also have endo. The pre-op jitters are constantly trying to creep in. I keep making those lists too! The biggest plus...no more periods. Wow will that be nice. Now what will I do with all those maxi pads? Hmm knee pads for gardening perhaps. LOL

Have you decided on any type of HRT? I'm curious since you have endo. My doctor wants me to try and go without any ERT for at least one year. I have been on the Lupron shots...and am quite familiar with the night sweats. They Suck! I would love it if you would share post-op plan with me.
Thanks Cindy
Unread 11-08-2002, 06:15 AM

What a great list Smiley!!I laughed at it all so hard.I have been wearing dark pants,jeans,and short for years now!! Only way to survive if you leek!!! I would kid with my husband ...and called myself Leeky alot!!
My date for surgery is for early Jan.I am on Lupron right now...and I am waiting 3 mths to see if my big uterus will shrink any.I cant wait to get this over with.
I can wear beige shorts and pants again this spring!!
Not worry about vacation dates...and swimming....
Not running to the bathroom every hour on bad days
Not feeling run down,feeling yukky,feeling more better about
myself again!!!!!!
Unread 11-08-2002, 06:45 AM

Smiley: I know everyone is different, but I am about 10 days post op now, and I swear to you, I have not felt this good in about 2 years.

Waiting for the surgery day was SOooo **** hard. Your imagination runs wild. Try not to let it, in fact keep yourself busy with something else until your surgery date. Pack yourself a suitcase with a fancy robe and slippers and stick it in the corner. Then, just put it out of your mind until you actually go to the hospital. Easier said than done, I know, but that is kind of how I got through the waiting period.

It will be here and be over with literally before you know it.

And really honestly, it does not hurt, the nurses will treat you like a goddess, and the $50 a month you now spend on SuperDuper Overnight Extra Thick Triple Winged Maxi Pads can soon be spent on better things. Like Chocolate. )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register