2 weeks post hysterectomy - having trouble (pain) with passing gas and having a BM | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post hysterectomy - having trouble (pain) with passing gas and having a BM 2 weeks post hysterectomy - having trouble (pain) with passing gas and having a BM

Unread 12-20-2018, 08:44 AM
2 weeks post hysterectomy - having trouble (pain) with passing gas and having a BM

Hi everyone I had a total hysterectomy on 12/6. I had a really bad first night. Lots of throwing up (so scary). I’ve been resting more than I ever have in my life. What I want to know is anyone else having trouble (pain) with passing gas and having a BM. That seems to be the most painful for me. I’m not talking the gas that you are filled with for the surgery. I’m talking everyday “normal” ( I wish) BMs. I’m taking Metamucil and stool softeners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2018, 01:56 PM
Re: 2 weeks post hysterectomy - having trouble (pain) with passing gas and having a BM

and

Our bowels tend to be wonky after surgery - anesthesia, a side effect of the meds we're on, the liquid diet and/or bowel prep pre-op, and the trauma of surgery all can contribute. I had to actively manage my digestive system for about 7-8 weeks after surgery. A diet high in fiber and magnesium aids in digestion and getting things moving: dark leafy greens, whole grains, fiber cereal, nuts, seeds, fruits (fresh, dried or frozen in smoothies), prune juice, warm liquids like tea, and enough water-water-water to swamp a canoe. Without the extra water, the body is making rocks but is adding nothing to help it flow. Also, when you sit on the throne, prop your feet up. We're built to squat, and having your knees above your hips aligns the colon for emptying. Walking helps too - it doesn't have to be far or long, but the idea is to get up from the easy chair.

Since you've just joined us, here are some of my favorite resources to help guide you through these early weeks:Also, check out your Recovery Thread at Recovery Progress Reports for Dec 03-09. Recovery Threads are dedicated threads for women who had surgery the same week as you. They are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and posting updates.

Unread 12-20-2018, 02:11 PM
Re: 2 weeks post hysterectomy - having trouble (pain) with passing gas and having a BM

Are you back to your normal diet yet? I had no appetite and lived on soup and crackers the first 10 days or so. It was harder to “go” because there wasn’t enough there to stimulate the process. Once I started eating more normal meals, I found my insides got back to being more normal too.

Good luck! Come join us on the Dec 3-9 page, there are so many awesome ladies there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2018, 06:56 AM

I would actually recommend against prune juice in your case, because the sugar alcohols that give it its laxative properties are poorly digested, so they end up being fermented by bacteria in the colon, contributing to excess gas production; other gassy foods to avoid right now include legumes, onions and garlic, apple juice, pears, apricots, cherries, and artificial sweeteners. To get things moving without the gas, try making a smoothie by blending 1 cup of almond milk with 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, a small banana, a handful of spinach, a few fresh mint leaves, the juice of half a lemon, and 2 Tbsp of ground flaxseeds; other helpful drink choices include peppermint tea, fennel seeds steeped in hot water for a delicious tea, and a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. My top picks for magnesium include dark chocolate, leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, and almonds. Another top tip to promote regularity is to squat on the throne, as Cussette mentioned, right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. Best wishes for getting back to 💩 soon, and for your continued recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register