do not remove patch before surgery..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

do not remove patch before surgery..... do not remove patch before surgery.....

Unread 11-06-2002, 10:59 AM
do not remove patch before surgery.....

I have seen this question on here before. I just had hernia surgery last Thursday. When I went for my Preop appoinment at the hospital, there was a fill in admit nurse who did not know alot. She told me to remove it at midnight the night before......well I reasoned that ....1...if I had my ovaries hormones would be there during surgery .....2. I will be nervouse enought about the surgery, why show up with unbalanced hormones to boot.....I will wait until I get to the hospital and ask....if they make me I will..... Well I had at least 3 nurses and I think a doctor if I had to remove it and they all said NO as long as it is on a part of my body that was out of the way of the surgery ie. back of body... Later I saw the real atmit nurse and asked her. Not only did she say no she said absolutely not. I of course, am not a doctor this is my own experience and my own opinion but if someone tells you to take your hormone patch off, get a second opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2002, 12:46 PM

Jennifer

Although I am not on any HRT just yet, I do appreciate your post. I agree that sometimes we really need to question instructions we are given if they don't seem quite right to us. Before one of my surgeries, my anesthesiologist (sp?) insisted that I use an asthma inhaler right before surgery even though I hadn't used them in a very long time (months). I didn't feel right about pumping something into my lungs that I hadn't used in ages right before surgery. Although I did it since he pushed me on it, it really made me uneasy. I requested someone different for my other surgeries and all of them told me not to use them if I hadn't been using them for such a long time. I think confirming instructions with several people is a great idea. It certainly can't hurt IMO. I'm very glad you asked about your patch.

's

Lisa
Unread 11-06-2002, 03:28 PM

Absolutely I agree........I had the preadmit nurse, my general surgeon and his assistant ALL forget to tell me to do a bowel prep before my last surgery even though he had said previously that I absolutely HAD to have one prior to the surgery......I finally had to call twice to get the instructions..........

so yeah....if something doesn't seem right.....ask and then ask again if you still aren't sure......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register