? Thyroid problem after hyster... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? Thyroid problem after hyster... ? Thyroid problem after hyster...

Unread 07-28-2000, 07:28 PM
? Thyroid problem after hyster...

I had seen mentioned in a few posts that there may be some connection to hypothyroid problems after hysterectomy. Anyone have any info on this or any websites with connection to each other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2000, 11:10 PM

Hi Marjie,
If you go to the top left of this page and 'Jump to' The Hormone Jungle board on this site you will find some info there in the drop down menu. Also if you want to pay a visit to the Hormone Jungle message board Trish has a thyroid condition and knows lots of info . It is not uncommon after a hyst and it takes a bit of knowledge to get it right.
good luck,
Lily
Unread 08-02-2000, 01:12 AM

Hello,
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism over 2 years ago. The symptoms seem to mimic other disorders, so the only way to really determine if you have a thyroid disorder is to have a blood test to determine your TSH level, T3 and T4. It's very simple. One vial of blood, and you will have your answer with in 2 or 3 days.

Here are some good sites about thyroid:

http://www.endocrineweb.com/thyroid.html

and

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/thyroid/index.html?50,34

I don't think it will provide you any information of links between hyster and thyroid, but it will explain thyroid disorders.

Hope this helps.

Love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2000, 11:28 AM

I'm don't think there really has been any scientific data linking hyst. and thyroid problems. However, as un-scientific as it is - there does seem to be a connection just from the number of sisters on this board that seem to have the problem.
Unread 08-02-2000, 03:40 PM

Thanks for all the info.... don't know if I have the problem or not but certainly have some of the symptoms. Going to call doctor to set up appointment to have check just to be on the safe side.

Again thanks to all.
Unread 08-02-2000, 07:11 PM
Hmmmmm Me

Hi there Marjie
I had a blood test at my six week check up and the level was high I went back to the dr. on mon and she took more blood, it was mentioned that I could have Hashimotos?? whatever that is....anyways I won`t find out for awhile as my dr. is going to be away and then I to go on holidays, she said that thay will not call me with the results as she said that I will have alot of questions and she said another month won`t make the difference, I sure hope that whatever it is, and whatever meds i end up on will help my hair from falling out, and of coarse I really want to live long enough to see my children grow up, I know this sounds sad but I am so sick of being sick, that somtimes......I am too **** young to feel this **** old..lol Stay safe
Unread 08-03-2000, 07:45 PM

Hi Dawn,

I just wanted to let you know that Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is a chronic inflammation of the thyroid that is thought to be caused by autoimmune factors. It is much more common in women than in men and usually appears between the ages of 30 and 50. Some people only have a sense of a fullness in their throat indicating that their thyroid is enl;arged while others may already be exhibitng signs of hypothyroidism when they are diagnosed. The replacement thyroid hormone that your doctor will put you on should hopefully help you feel better after a few weeks. It can take 2 - 4 weeks though before you start noticing the benefits from thyroid replacement therapy but, hopefully, one they kick in you will have more energy and you will feel better.
Unread 08-04-2000, 09:20 AM

Dawnbrat, I was diagnosed with hashimotos disease (thyroiditis), goiter and hypothyroidism 5 years ago at the age of 25. my hair was falling out and I was very lethargic. I saw an endocrinologist, and was put on thyroid hormone for the rest of my life. Within a few months of starting the medication, I was feeling good, and my hair was filling in nicely. It may take a while to get your levels where they should be, but once they are you should feel pretty much back to normal. Good luck!
Unread 08-06-2000, 09:58 PM

I too was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis when I was 25, after the birth of my daughter. I was having hot flashes, night sweats, pain in my neck and jaw up to my ear, soooooooo tired, enlargement of my thyroid. I had my blood tested for my TSH levels, T3, and T4 uptake. I also had my antibodies tested also. I take synthroid and will have to for life. The doctor told me that the 3 times a woman has a greater chance of developing thyroid disorders is at puberty, after pregnancy, and at menapause--so maybe there could be a link between thyroid disease and hysterectomy especially if you had your ovaries removed. He also cautioned me to make sure my pediatrician checked my daughter because it could be hereditary. My grandmother, aunt, and cousins suffer from thyroid disorder also. Good luck--it does take a few weeks for the synthroid to kick in, but I know how yucky you must feel.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register